PSP - Masterboy - Works
Wii - GBA GX - works
Wii - Retroarch - works
Wii U - Retroarch - works
Retroarch - pc/Mac - works
DS - lameboy - works
Android - retroarch - works
others. - seems to work well.

Now going to see if I can use it on a 3ds, VC patch.

RemySF3

Did you have any success using on the 3ds? I couldn't figure out how to correctly convert a .ips file to .gb for the injector. Thanks :D

D

Deleted User

This is actually a cool hack. I hope whomever did this hack also does Wario Land - Super Mario Land 3 in full color.
The Romhacking User torazz, maker of this hack said that he won´t work on Super Mario Land 3. He is willing to provide code and support should anyone attemp to colorize Wario Land - Super Mario Land 3.

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if they referenced any code from my SML2 disassembly :P This looks nice though. I had this in the works a few years back, but shelved it. Nice to see someone made it! I hope Kirby's dreamland 2 is done sometime

After looking at it, it's pretty nicely done. double layered sprites on mario/luigi for extra colors!

Last edited by froggestspirit,
Reactions: Jayro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I just wanted to give my results in trying to use the Luma3DS 'Enable game patching' to externally load the patched rom under the legit install Virtual Console title.

Unlike the Virtual Console versions of Pokemon Red/Blue versions and Metroid II - Return of Samus where you can launch the colorized patched roms, this method doesn't work for this game.

The directory to load the external rom on the SD card is as follows:

luma/titles/0004000000041A00/romfs/rom/DMGMQE-2.680

The actual raw rom for Super Mario Land 2 is ' DMGMQE-2.680 ' , which has the checksum CRC32 of '635A9112' or " Super Mario Land 2 - 6 Golden Coins (UE) (V1.2) [!].gb ".

The differences between V1.0 and V1.2 is too great for the Virtual Console container to recognize.

Edit : This is for those who would have wanted to play the colorized game without possible lag issue on GameYob/LameBoy/mGBA while trying to hide / not install custom GBC VC injection.

Edit #2 : I wanted to check back about results for another 'Super Mario Land 2 DX' color patch made by Daniel Davis & Drakon for V1.2 rom. This one was made several years earlier than the one by toruzz. I can confirm this version works with Luma patch injection, but the game titles are kinda glitchy & annoying.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Namesnipe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since a few of you seem to be confused on the steps to making it work on 3DS VC Injectors, here's the steps.

1. Download the .ips patch and a rom of Super Mario Land 2 [Which I'm not going to link for obvious reasons.]

2. Patch it in Lunar IPS

3. Go into Ultimate GB VC Injector for 3DS and configure the rom to your liking

4. Install the CIA

5. Happy Retro Gaming.

D

Deleted User

Since a few of you seem to be confused on the steps to making it work on 3DS VC Injectors, here's the steps.

1. Download the .ips patch and a rom of Super Mario Land 2 [Which I'm not going to link for obvious reasons.]

2. Patch it in Lunar IPS

3. Go into Ultimate GB VC Injector for 3DS and configure the rom to your liking

4. Install the CIA

5. Happy Retro Gaming.
Or patch the Super Mario Land 2 rom with the Lunar ips patch, install Gameyob cia and play the game via Gameyob.:)

Namesnipe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or patch the Super Mario Land 2 rom with the Lunar ips patch, install Gameyob cia and play the game via Gameyob.:)

"Since a few of you seem to be confused on the steps to making it work on 3DS VC Injectors, here's the steps."
It was meant for 3DS VC Injectors, for people that like having something presentable on their homemenu, but that works too.

purrell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't remember where I found the CIA file that pre-patched the game, but after I installed it on my 2DS XL it works perfectly, but it's severely pillar-boxed. I assumed it was doing a 1:1 pixel mapping of the GBA game, but how do I stretch it to make it fill up more of the screen? (I do not mean the entire screen, I still expect to see letterboxing on the sides, but right now it's pillar-boxed all around and the resulting image is a very small square.

trecko1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't remember where I found the CIA file that pre-patched the game, but after I installed it on my 2DS XL it works perfectly, but it's severely pillar-boxed. I assumed it was doing a 1:1 pixel mapping of the GBA game, but how do I stretch it to make it fill up more of the screen? (I do not mean the entire screen, I still expect to see letterboxing on the sides, but right now it's pillar-boxed all around and the resulting image is a very small square.
Use https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/7mz97h/public_beta_release_nsui_beta_26_allinone_vc/ and make your own cia, you can edit how big the screen scaling will be. There's two options for the VC injects, one is not holding anything when the game launches and it will launch a certain resolution (whoever made the cia you downloaded made this option 1:1 screen scaling) and the other which is when you hold start when the game launches, and it will launch the game at the original 1:1 screen ratio (this behavior is the same with GBA injects and DS/DSi games). You can change that option to whatever you prefer in the content settings when you are assembling the CIA with the NSUI I linked. You can also add a game boy border around the game so it doesn't look as bad too, but imo you should stick with 1:1 PAR because that's the way the game was meant to be played :creep:

purrell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm all for 1:1. I wouldn't want any unnatural stretching or aspect ratio differences. But I noticed even in the official VC of Super Mario Land 2 that Nintendo put out that it fills the length of the screen (vertically). It's just too small otherwise. I'll try to re-package the CIA file myself, but I was having a hard time doing it with NSUI. I'll go back and try again.

Argonitious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice! I've always wished this game was in color. Now it can be! :D

I took this screenshot in VBA-M.
Super Mario Land 2 DX (V1.12).png

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
I think you commented before you really checked to see if it was easy to find or not. Go ahead, prove me wrong. I'll bet anything you can't actually find it.

EDIT: My tone sounds mean, I'm being playful not aggressive - although I really do think you'll have a rough time which is why I commented. Most if not all "hits" google spits out are dead links, thus why I asked if they issued takedowns
You should always read the "read me" files. They're useful ;)

thorbre

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I was made aware of this yesterday. This is fantastic. I have waited YEARS for something like this, seriously, ever since that GBC promo video back in the day, that had a colored Mario sprite. I adore this game, I got it for my birthday back in 97-98, along with my red GB Pocket, which still works, even though the dpad has gone a bit shit. Can't find the game anywhere, I think it was stolen. Have it on my 3DS. Gonna be fun playing through it again, short as it might be.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    hunter x hunter
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    he has not allowed anyone to continue it for him for example
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, theres a dragon ball af mod for budokai 3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
    NinStar @ NinStar: people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious