Gaming Ninja
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello gbatemp admins,

this is just a suggestion, as i know there are sponsors already for the site. This not for more ads, but as there a written reviews why not getting cash if someone buy the product finally?

I noticed that some sites like fanatical.com and humblebundle.com allows to create a partnership and allows using affiliate links, if someone klicks it and if it results in a buy you get a lite commision. So Chary as Chief Editor is already writting news/reviews about humblebundle choice, why not using affilate links and there is especially one for humble choice. A lot of other sites will for sure support it by also creating a partnership. So as suggestion, team up with sites which offers interesting stuff for create regulary ad/review for our users to support the site. With sites which provide e.g nice games, deals, bundles or also hardware and do the same in seperat section like a shop site and doing something professional in this way. As e.g. Charry is already writting about them e.g. (not sure about XBOX game pass or playstation plus as we are a providing hacking stuff for the console). For example gg.deals is working this way only and offers a lot of interesting stuff/options for us gamers and would for sure also interesting for a lot of our members. As it seems this are offering affiliate Programms also e.g. Razer, Alienware, Nvidia, Microsoft, Logitech, Twitch, EPIC Store, Origin Store, (steam doesnt offer because it doesnt need it).

With best regards
Sypherone

Last edited by Sypherone,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
The main issue with things like affiliate links, at least for a site like GBAtemp, is getting users to actually buy something directly off those links. You don't get paid by just offering the links and having a user click on them, they don't work that way, a user would have to actually go and buy something after clicking the link for commission to be paid (without having an adblocker installed, as this disables tracking). Given this community is heavily "piracy-adjacent", we wouldn't see much revenue from something like that at all, and commission rates for all those sites you've listed are around 1-5% at best and would thus require at least hundreds of purchases to be viable...which I just don't see happening.

We've done affiliate links and sponsored articles in the past, and I suspect they've never done big enough numbers to continue them since the last one done was two years ago.

If you really want to support the site, the absolute best way is via our account upgrades here, not so much via more ads.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Please not more ads, sponsor stuff and whatnot.

If all regular user would simply pay a bit, stuff like this would not be needed.

That is the problem: Everything has to be "free" on the internet, but free with the quotes. Ads are a form of payment - and the worst one in my opinion (still the default everywhere)

b2p1mp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pirate adjacent community still need SD (or microSD) cards and hardware often... I would use affiliate links to buy Amazon stuff... like a new 2d2vita adapter, flash memory, etc

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As said above, if you truly want to support GBAtemp please consider an account upgrade or direct donation (sig). The money goes straight to us and no one else gets a cut.

Sadly we need this more than ever. This is a big concern for us right now.
Iam not able to recieve statistics for e.g. site views or any other stuff to analize and understand where the problem lies and maybe make a suggestion.

But maybe one idea, as there is the option for paying with there XP to recieve patreon status. You can only purchase it if you have full 21.0000/54.000 XP, why dont give ability to reduce the amount to pay with 1000xp for each 1€. E.g. like a coupon how they do in marketing. So maybe the price is 21.50€ and he is going to reduce it maybe for 2500XP to 19€ for this one year.

Another idea, there must be content that is only accessible as patreon/paid status. Or you can view not the hole content or only 2 times (for sure especially new content for actuall consoles). Newspaper also uses paywalls. Maybe there is one succesfull option. I think you can analyze which content is viewed/searched high frequently. Ya i know digital knowledge can be searched and recieved also on other sides, but maybe its point into a direction. As other sides also uses different methodes to try get a paid membership.

Last edited by Sypherone,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste