Rumor Google is going to kill uBlock Origin in June 2024

Evilengine

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I think you're full of it, because, well, if that was the case you can't tell me you don't remember when Mozilla disabled all legacy add-ons for Firefox in 2018. "So glad I never...." doesn't hold up when the browser you've ALWAYS used did basically the exact same thing that Chrome is doing, which caused a lot of users to ditch Firefox and turn to Chrome or another alternative.
Can you explain, which effect that has today? Since you can install many Add Ons and Plugins, maybe they were updated to run since then? Or is this "legacy" plugin different from those supported nowadays?

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can you explain, which effect that has today? Since you can install many Add Ons and Plugins, maybe they were updated to run since then? Or is this "legacy" plugin different from those supported nowadays?

Of course they've all been updated. It's been 5 years. I was pointing out the inaccuracy of insinuating Firefox is superior under a false belief that they haven't done something similar.

Reactions: console

Evilengine

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Of course they've all been updated. It's been 5 years. I was pointing out the inaccuracy of insinuating Firefox is superior under a false belief that they haven't done something similar.
Yeah, I guess it matters what the motivation is. I don't know any backgrounds, but i guess Mozilla's decision was not so much to make it harder for Adblocking? Which here from this thread I get the idea, that Google/Youtube are mainly focused on that. Or even permanently deactivate the Add-on feature...

Btw, what I also like is the "Idontcareaboutcookies", Ghostery, Sponsorblock(for Youtube very cool to get rid of this "hidden" advertising), different Website translators and Ebookreader Add-ons. Since I started using Ublock, it's always the very first thing to add into a fresh Firefox install. :)

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
too bad google's too big to hit with a class action would barely phase them imo next best thing is to complain to the ftc which i'm sure google will pay them off to turn a blind eye

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone still using Chrome at this point kind of deserves all the ads, tracking, and lack of security that they get.

If you'd like a list of alternatives, and perhaps further reasoning why certain browsers are good/bad, check out this youtubers tierlist

Last edited by duwen,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
There's still a shitload of time for the uBlock Origin devs to counter this, so I'm not gonna freak out and just let them cook. I feel like by June, they'll be ready to combat Google. (Kind of shocked it took Google so long to combat against uBlock Origin, the best blocker out there.)

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
I don't know if this affects Edge users, but I already have uBlock on their app store. If this effects it, then I'm going to just move to using Waterfox if it has grouping tabs, a built in PDF editor that isn't Adobe, and ways for me to have two tabs open without actually splittnig them.

But wait, I can't. Vencord can't be put on the FIrefox store, and using Tampermonkey makes things inconsisitent LOL.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know if this affects Edge users, but I already have uBlock on their app store. If this effects it, then I'm going to just move to using Waterfox if it has grouping tabs, a built in PDF editor that isn't Adobe, and ways for me to have two tabs open without actually splittnig them.

But wait, I can't. Vencord can't be put on the FIrefox store, and using Tampermonkey makes things inconsisitent LOL.
Since Edge is Chromium based, its likely that its going to implement Manifest v3.

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States
At least move onto Firefox for the most part. You get much more flexibility with ad-blocker extensions.
I swear, I would move onto firefox if most of my extensions are on the Add-ons store, but for vencord being a massive roadblock due to the image, I cannot make the move.

While this is a viable option, I had inconsistency with Discord sometimes having Vencord enabled and disabled, and iirc Firefox doesn't have:

A way to group tabs
A way to split tabs together
Transferring Edge Collections to whatever Firefox provides

and some other things. And no, I'm not moving to Opera.

1713188805179.png

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I swear, I would move onto firefox if most of my extensions are on the Add-ons store, but for vencord being a massive roadblock due to the image, I cannot make the move.

View attachment 431890
Vencord is a Discord client modification, not an extension. I strongly advise not installing Vencord since modifying your Discord client can lead to vulnerabilities.

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States
Vencord is a Discord client modification, not an extension. I strongly advise not installing Vencord since modifying your Discord client can lead to vulnerabilities.

I already used it for more than 3+ years, and I never had problems with it. Din't have much problems with it at all, and I use it in light manners and only what they have

Reactions: SylverReZ

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
OP
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
It about 1 month and 1 week left before Google Chrome will start block uBlock Origin add on in June 2024.

Urgent to everyone must do backup current versions of Google Chrome , Brave now before end of May 2024.

C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application

C:\Program Files\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application

To block auto updates then you must rename folder "Update" to "No Update" will cause auto update to stop working.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update

C:\Program Files (x86)\BraveSoftware\Update

Also don't forget backup your Google Chrome, Brave, etc profile files

Windows 10, 11 to 12 (same path since Windows Vista, 7, 8.x)

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data

Manifest v3
files maybe can damage or overwrite / replace to Manifest v2 files due to auto updates cause uBlock Origin add on to stop working or removed / deleted.

If you already backup old versions and profiles at same time then you are in good luck to protect them also can downgrade to old versions over new update versions. Never forget to block auto updates from services in background running would help more.

1713847528030.png

Wait and what happen in June 2024. Everyone should report any problems when it happened very soon. :blink:

Last edited by console,

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It about 1 month and 1 week left before Google Chrome will start block uBlock Origin add on in June 2024.

Urgent to everyone must do backup current versions of Google Chrome , Brave now before end of May 2024.

C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application

C:\Program Files\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application

To block auto updates then you must rename folder "Update" to "No Update" will cause auto update to stop working.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update

C:\Program Files (x86)\BraveSoftware\Update

Also don't forget backup your Google Chrome, Brave, etc profile files

Windows 10, 11 to 12 (same path since Windows Vista, 7, 8.x)

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data

Manifest v3
files maybe can damage or overwrite / replace to Manifest v2 files due to auto updates cause uBlock Origin add on to stop working or removed / deleted.

If you already backup old versions and profiles at same time then you are in good luck to protect them also can downgrade to old versions over new update versions. Never forget to block auto updates from services in background running would help more.

View attachment 433202

Wait and what happen in June 2024. Everyone should report any problems when it happened very soon. :blink:
That's just too much work for most.

Either switch to Brave or Firefox.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: Currently asked for mecha mote iinchou mm my best friend to be translated but I also want to ask...