GCN Swiss r688 problems with SD Media Launcher

asper

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys,

I am using SD Media Launcher with its original (poor-quality) SD-GameCard adapter and Action Replay disc; it works with Swiss r432 but loads to a black screen when launching r688; my actual "solution" is boot r431 and then from Swiss r431 menu load r688 and it works fine but... is there a way to avoid this ? Is this a know bug of Swiss versions older than r431 ? I am using a non-SDHC SD card FAT32 formatted (tested also an SDHC card but it is not recognized by te adapter).

Another question: is there a GameCube modchip totally bypassing the DVD drive ? I mean something that will directly boot into SD without the need of a "boot disc" ?

Last edited by asper,
Reactions: Alexander1970

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am using SD Media Launcher with its original (poor-quality) SD-GameCard adapter and Action Replay disc; it works with Swiss r432 but loads to a black screen when launching r688; my actual "solution" is boot r431 and then from Swiss r431 menu load r688 and it works fine but... is there a way to avoid this ? Is this a know bug of Swiss versions older than r431 ? I am using a non-SDHC SD card FAT32 formatted (tested also an SDHC card but it is not recognized by te adapter).
Poor quality adapter? I don't know. These adapters are pure passive and if it works with an older Swiss version there doesn't seem to be any connection issue. The Datel software is quite limited (only supports up to 2GB non-SDHC as far as I know). Once Swiss is loaded any FAT32 or even exFAT formatted SDHC/SDXC should work.

You could bypass the need for the limited Datel software if you own one of the exploitable games (copy the exploit on memory card with a modded Wii or with Swiss itself – booted by the Datel software)
https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Booting_Homebrew

Another question: is there a GameCube modchip totally bypassing the DVD drive ? I mean something that will directly boot into SD without the need of a "boot disc" ?
Yes and no. Yes it exists: Qoob or even a WODE (look at the above wiki entry again). No, they are not readily available/not manufactured anymore. All you can get easily at the moment is a cheap XenoGC clone allowing booting a burned Swiss disc (I use this and it works fine).

Maybe this will change (soon?):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/new-gamecube-optical-drive-emulator.551415/
There is a thread about this on gc-forever (since a few years).

I would also want to eliminate the need for the disc drive altogether. The drives are not good at reading burned media (even after adjusting the potentiometer) and probably will all fail at some point. To future proof the GC an optical drive emulator would be awesome.

asper

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Poor quality adapter? I don't know. These adapters are pure passive and if it works with an older Swiss version there doesn't seem to be any connection issue. The Datel software is quite limited (only supports up to 2GB non-SDHC as far as I know). Once Swiss is loaded any FAT32 or even exFAT formatted SDHC/SDXC should work.

You could bypass the need for the limited Datel software if you own one of the exploitable games (copy the exploit on memory card with a modded Wii or with Swiss itself – booted by the Datel software)
https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Booting_Homebrew

Yes and no. Yes it exists: Qoob or even a WODE (look at the above wiki entry again). No, they are not readily available/not manufactured anymore. All you can get easily at the moment is a cheap XenoGC clone allowing booting a burned Swiss disc (I use this and it works fine).

Maybe this will change (soon?):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/new-gamecube-optical-drive-emulator.551415/
There is a thread about this on gc-forever (since a few years).

I would also want to eliminate the need for the disc drive altogether. The drives are not good at reading burned media (even after adjusting the potentiometer) and probably will all fail at some point. To future proof the GC an optical drive emulator would be awesome.
Thank you for your reply !

So the problem with r688 (black screen when loading it) can really be a bug of this release looking at the fact that r431 is working fine ? Maybe too big dol file for datel launcher (i also tested the compressed versions with same results) ?

Last edited by asper,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sorry for the delay. I don’t have Datel SD Media Launcher which limits my tests to other loading methods. With these no problems at all:

Starting Swiss r649 with Wind Waker exploit followed by loading r688 from SD-gecko → success
Starting Swiss r649 from burned disc followed by loading r688 from SD-gecko → success
Starting Swiss r688 directly from burned disc → success
(Only reason for using r649 was: This one was currently on my memory card and I had a DVD-R with it)

I’ve no idea why it does not work for you. Up to now there are no reports of Datel software unable to load later versions of Swiss.
https://github.com/emukidid/swiss-gc/issues

The GameCube seems to be picky when it comes to SD cards. Try a different SD:
  • Start Datel software with max. 2GB card
  • Load a Swiss release working for you from Datel Launcher
  • Unmount SD in Swiss and mount another one (bigger) containing your games, homebrew apps and Swiss r688.
  • Try loading latest Swiss from the second SD.
======

Other than that: The save exploits from memory card are a good alternative bypassing the Datel software. If you have an exploitable game: Give it a try.

One warning:
Last time I updated the Swiss release on memory card directly with Swiss it corrupted the card. Don’t know what happened there. Maybe this was because I’m using a cheap third party memory card with 16MB (2043 blocks). It never happened on official “Memory Card 251”.
Nevertheless: Please backup important saves before writing the exploit and Swiss to a memory card.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hi guys,

Hello.:)

Maybe the actual Update solves your Issues.:)

https://gbatemp.net/threads/swiss-update-v0-4-r714.553550/

Thank you.:)

asper

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries