Hacking Switch Android Pie is coming along nicely!

EpicLPer

Your friendly Austrian IT Guy
OP
Trophies
Website
epiclper.com
XP
Country
Austria
Thanks to the people on the Switchroot Discord I was able to compile and test the newest Android Pie for the Switch already :) Mainly to find bugs (already found a few) but also to test how well it's running in general.
I gotta say the performance has increased a lot! Pie feels a lot snappier than Oreo, Apps load and install faster, animations are smoother, the JoyCons are finally working while attached to the console and even better than before! Also Emulators seem to run a bit better, here's an example:

Anyways, just wanted to show how well it's running as of now :) I also tried Mario Kart Wii which ran at around 40FPS tho crashes when you try to play it again after closing which is odd. There are also some HDMI issues still which need to be figured out but the ROM is coming along nicely so far!

D

Deleted User

Yes! My body is ready lol!

seriously though i have so much enjoyed full speed saturn and dreamcast using what we have. It legit turned my switch into a pc to me once i had everything tweaked right. A pc i could take with me and dock on the big screen. It really is a must for any switch owner of a hackable switch. The funny thing is i see alot of feedback from people that it is too much hassle. But thing is it delivered saturn gameplay to me and that alone is priceless! Now i am hearing full speed 64?! I am very excited by that!!

Imancol

Otak Productions
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Wow, great! I have various doubts. Have you solved the problem that the Joy-Con recognizes them as Pads and not as Stick? That prevents taking advantage of the sensitivity of the Stick when you turn and the amount of speed. Was the problem also corrected with the touch screen?

iotdevnet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Thanks to the people on the Switchroot Discord I was able to compile and test the newest Android Pie for the Switch already :) Mainly to find bugs (already found a few) but also to test how well it's running in general.
I gotta say the performance has increased a lot! Pie feels a lot snappier than Oreo, Apps load and install faster, animations are smoother, the JoyCons are finally working while attached to the console and even better than before! Also Emulators seem to run a bit better, here's an example:

https://twitter.com/EpicLPer/status/1213265340077084673

Anyways, just wanted to show how well it's running as of now :) I also tried Mario Kart Wii which ran at around 40FPS tho crashes when you try to play it again after closing which is odd. There are also some HDMI issues still which need to be figured out but the ROM is coming along nicely so far!

Please share how you compile it from where you download sources etc ... I`m ready to test it also
How is the Bluetooth headphones specially i`m interested in microphone.

EpicLPer

Your friendly Austrian IT Guy
OP
Trophies
Website
epiclper.com
XP
Country
Austria
Please share how you compile it from where you download sources etc ... I`m ready to test it also
How is the Bluetooth headphones specially i`m interested in microphone.
If you join the Switchroot Discord most steps are pinned in the #general channel on how to compile it and get it running :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Performance is better than with Ubuntu?
No and never will be since Android has much more overhead than Ubuntu does, however for retro emulation (PSOne, N64, etc.) it's perfectly fine. Just don't try stuff like Wii Games cause you'll get roughly 30% less performance out of them.

Reactions: pLaYeR^^

blaww

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you solved the problem that the Joy-Con recognizes them as Pads and not as Stick? That prevents taking advantage of the sensitivity of the Stick when you turn and the amount of speed.
I hope there's a solution to this some day. The analog only registers 8 directions in emulators, making movement in 3D games super awkward and practically unplayable--except for Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII on PPSSPP, which worked like an actual analog stick for whatever reason.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, great! I have various doubts. Have you solved the problem that the Joy-Con recognizes them as Pads and not as Stick? That prevents taking advantage of the sensitivity of the Stick when you turn and the amount of speed. Was the problem also corrected with the touch screen?
I hope there's a solution to this some day. The analog only registers 8 directions in emulators, making movement in 3D games super awkward and practically unplayable--except for Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII on PPSSPP, which worked like an actual analog stick for whatever reason.
The analog sticks work when the joycon are attached to the system, dunno about when they’re being used over Bluetooth (haven’t tested them in android, but I do know they work over Bluetooth in rel32 Ubuntu)

mrcroket

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
If you join the Switchroot Discord most steps are pinned in the #general channel on how to compile it and get it running :)

No and never will be since Android has much more overhead than Ubuntu does, however for retro emulation (PSOne, N64, etc.) it's perfectly fine. Just don't try stuff like Wii Games cause you'll get roughly 30% less performance out of them.

Can you please share your compilation? Its a pain in the ass to compile and a simple sd image can save us a lot of time :)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

https://twitter.com/EpicLPer/status/1213265340077084673

Do they need more testers? I have a MicroSD with Switchroot on it already, eagerly awaiting some delicious pie.
BTW, some games that run well in Dolphin on Switchroot Oreo are (all games tested at 1x native resolution unless specified otherwise):

Super Paper Mario - Slow in town, but seems full speed in level 1-1. (40% CPU clock override - little to no improvement). Playable from the little I have seen of it.

Paper Mario TTYD - Runs very well. Almost full speed. With CPU clock override at 40%, runs full speed in most areas even at 2x native resolution, but framerates drop in certain areas with lots going on like some sections of Rogueport. Highly playable, nearly perfect, in fact I have been playing it on my Switch for hours and am in the big tree in the second region. 2x native resolution is really great for this game and makes it look really smooth on the 720p screen.

Mario Kart Double Dash - Seems full speed. CPU clock override to 40% helps in preventing occasional stuttering and audio crackles.

Some that run not so well:
F-Zero GX - Low FPS, stuttering and bad sound, even with CPU clock override to 40% (did not help at all). 15 FPS ish. Unplayable.

Super Mario Galaxy 1&2 - Same as above. Unplayable.

Mario Kart Wii - Didn't try it much, 40% CPU clock override did not seem to help much to get rid of audio crackles, so I gave up on it. If you don't mind playing without sound I suppose it's technically playable. I think I got 30 something FPS. Not had any issues with Dolphin crashing when opening a game a second time.

Super Mario Sunshine - Perfect in the starting area but once you get into town it gets stuttery and gets worse when you enter the first level. However CPU clock override to 40% gets rid of the bad audio and makes it run well in town, but in the first level, framerate is very low (15 FPS ish), audio is still OK though so it's technically playable but not what I would consider enjoyable.

Super Smash Bros. Melee - Seems to run well in the menu but going into the first stage of single player (which happened to be the Ice Climbers stage) FPS got very bad, around 15. 40% CPU clock override did not seem to help. However I'm not sure I tested any other stages, so maybe smaller stages are playable.

In general many GameCube games seem to be playable but Wii games I've not had much luck with.
I gave up on trying Wii games as besides Super Paper Mario they were so slow I don't see Dolphin ever being improved enough to make them playable on the Switch.

I use the "Quick" performance profile. (1.4ghz/768mhz)
Curious how some of these run on Pie.
Also, do wired JoyCons work yet? How about true analog movement? They are the two big things currently broken on Oreo.
The analog sticks work when the joycon are attached to the system, dunno about when they’re being used over Bluetooth (haven’t tested them in android, but I do know they work over Bluetooth in rel32 Ubuntu)
Wired JoyCons don't work on Android, at least the publicly released version, but it's something they are working on for Pie so maybe it has been fixed in that already.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you please share your compilation? Its a pain in the ass to compile and a simple sd image can save us a lot of time :)
They won’t, and I won’t either.
You probably shouldn’t be using or want to be using it anyway. There’s a bunch of bugs and some stuff doesn’t work (no recovery, so no gapps, no magisk, etc. docked doesn’t work for some.)
And you need a working build and debug setup to do much anyway.

Do they need more testers? I have a MicroSD with Switchroot on it already, eagerly awaiting some delicious pie.
BTW, some games that run well in Dolphin on Switchroot Oreo are (all games tested at 1x native resolution unless specified otherwise):

Super Paper Mario - Slow in town, but seems full speed in level 1-1. (40% CPU clock override - little to no improvement). Playable from the little I have seen of it.

Paper Mario TTYD - Runs very well. Almost full speed. With CPU clock override at 40%, runs full speed in most areas even at 2x native resolution, but framerates drop in certain areas with lots going on like some sections of Rogueport. Highly playable, nearly perfect, in fact I have been playing it on my Switch for hours and am in the big tree in the second region. 2x native resolution is really great for this game and makes it look really smooth on the 720p screen.

Mario Kart Double Dash - Seems full speed. CPU clock override to 40% helps in preventing occasional stuttering and audio crackles.

Some that run not so well:
F-Zero GX - Low FPS, stuttering and bad sound, even with CPU clock override to 40% (did not help at all). 15 FPS ish. Unplayable.

Super Mario Galaxy 1&2 - Same as above. Unplayable.

Mario Kart Wii - Didn't try it much, 40% CPU clock override did not seem to help much to get rid of audio crackles, so I gave up on it. If you don't mind playing without sound I suppose it's technically playable. I think I got 30 something FPS. Not had any issues with Dolphin crashing when opening a game a second time.

Super Mario Sunshine - Perfect in the starting area but once you get into town it gets stuttery and gets worse when you enter the first level. However CPU clock override to 40% gets rid of the bad audio and makes it run well in town, but in the first level, framerate is very low (15 FPS ish), audio is still OK though so it's technically playable but not what I would consider enjoyable.

Super Smash Bros. Melee - Seems to run well in the menu but going into the first stage of single player (which happened to be the Ice Climbers stage) FPS got very bad, around 15. 40% CPU clock override did not seem to help. However I'm not sure I tested any other stages, so maybe smaller stages are playable.

In general many GameCube games seem to be playable but Wii games I've not had much luck with.
I gave up on trying Wii games as besides Super Paper Mario they were so slow I don't see Dolphin ever being improved enough to make them playable on the Switch.

I use the "Quick" performance profile. (1.4ghz/768mhz)
Curious how some of these run on Pie.
Also, do wired JoyCons work yet? How about true analog movement? They are the two big things currently broken on Oreo.

Wired JoyCons don't work on Android, at least the publicly released version, but it's something they are working on for Pie so maybe it has been fixed in that already.
They aren’t taking testers to send builds to. You need to build it yourself if you want to test it out.
(Which isn’t very difficult tbh, it just takes awhile :P)

Last edited by ZachyCatGames,

campbell0505

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Although this is probably far from releasing, what's the process of updating (assuming this is continuing on from LineageOS.) How easy would it be to update, is it just a file you load or do you have to transfer all the files over, android on switch is my only android device, so I'm not that good with it.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although this is probably far from releasing, what's the process of updating (assuming this is continuing on from LineageOS.) How easy would it be to update, is it just a file you load or do you have to transfer all the files over, android on switch is my only android device, so I'm not that good with it.
Pie changes the partition layout significantly, so it’ll require you to flash a completely new image to your SD card.
There may be ways to preserve app data but I haven’t looked into it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: no, cod sucks +2