Hacking Question Switch crashes into rcm mode when playing MK8D?

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used a paperclip to run the hbl on my switch roughly a week ago. I ran cfw twice and linux once. Now, when i play MK8D in non cfw mode booting completely regularly without rcm or anything, it randomly crashes and goes into rcm mode. Has this been documented yet? I dont have access to a pc that can send a payload rn so i can't 100 percent test to see if it's truly rcm mode, but when it does this it doesn't just turn right back on like if it was shut off. It takes roughly 3 10 second power button presses for the switch to turn back on again. It doesn't seem to be happening with any other game, and this happened in both 2 player mode and 3 player mode.

Reactions: The9thBit

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll test other games to make sure it isn't just mariokart. It's been a bit since i ran linux so im surprised if the battery is still messed up.

OkazakiTheOtaku

no thanks, I don't want a custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'll test other games to make sure it isn't just mariokart. It's been a bit since i ran linux so im surprised if the battery is still messed up.
Yeah Linux messes with it really badly. If you can, try something for me,
Keep the switch on until it crashes (or turns off) then go ahead and plug it in and reboot. If the battery is ~43% then it needs to be recalibrated.

Reactions: The9thBit

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's not crashing into RCM, it's just the normal battery issue that is well documented in the forum already. You can fix it by disconnecting the battery.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not crashing into RCM, it's just the normal battery issue that is well documented in the forum already. You can fix it by disconnecting the battery.
I have a tri wing screwdriver, how difficult is it? Could I not achieve the same thing by powering the battery all the way off and on again?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Keep the switch on until it crashes (or turns off) then go ahead and plug it in and reboot. If the battery is ~43% then it needs to be recalibrated.
Yes it's roughly there.

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, yep. I've had the same problem. How can I fix it?

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a tri wing screwdriver, how difficult is it? Could I not achieve the same thing by powering the battery all the way off and on again?
It's not difficult just fiddly and needs care not to strip the screws. I recommend following iFixit tutorial or something like that. It really is the only way to fix this issue properly though, I wouldn't waste my time doing multiple discharge/recharge over days or whatever Nintendo suggests.

Edit: It does get annoying after a few times though, so I haven't used linux for a while because of it.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not difficult just fiddly and needs care not to strip the screws. I recommend following iFixit tutorial or something like that. It really is the only way to fix this issue properly though, I wouldn't waste my time doing multiple discharge/recharge over days or whatever Nintendo suggests.

Edit: It does get annoying after a few times though, so I haven't used linux for a while because of it.
I mean do I have to navigate through anything once I open up the console or if the battery just right there waiting to be fixed.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I mean do I have to navigate through anything once I open up the console or if the battery just right there waiting to be fixed.
Can't remember off the top of my head but it's something like 17 screws in total. There's a metal shield to remove before you get to the battery connector.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't remember off the top of my head but it's something like 17 screws in total. There's a metal shield to remove before you get to the battery connector.
I'm not so sure. I cant really afford to buy another, so I guess I'll try powering it on and off for a day first.

Doneo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't seen it mentioned however a crash to RCM could probably be achieved by currupting the NAND or the system thinking that the emmc is no longer connected on reboot.

This modification could be made via software, intentionally without any serious long term reprocussions.

Im not saying thats the case (linux used in the past? Check.) here but it's an option for a somewhat cold boot solution that's worth mentioning in this thread.

Last edited by Doneo,

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I'm not so sure. I cant really afford to buy another, so I guess I'll try powering it on and off for a day first.
Look at the iFixit guide like I said. The pictures will help you decide if it's easy enough or not.

I haven't seen it mentioned however a crash to RCM could probably be achieved by currupting the NAND.
The Switch already goes into RCM if you remove the eMMC

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    D @ defibeep: any mods available to help, I can't post a new thread about my switch issue