Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

MikeTheKnight2016

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I recently heard that it is possible to dump sysNAND if you have a CFW (I dont know which). Right now, I am on 4.1 and I want to update for online splatoon. Do you think it would be possible to return to 4.1 in the future if I store my dumped sysNAND until then? I am basicly a noob on this topic but I think this was possible with 3ds.

Thanks!!!

ATM all versions of firmware are exploitable due to the issue with the Tegra processor. IMO, if you did upgrade once @SciresM fully releases ATMOSPHERE CFW you would have same functionality if you remained on 4.1.

Now a reason to stay on 4.1 or lower...
Lower Firmwares up to 4.1.0 (1.0.0 being even better) have a path towards "dongle and jig free" CFW, however we have no clue when this could take place.

A reason to upgrade....
You will be able to access the eshop and play online.

Just determine what is most important to you.

Last edited by MikeTheKnight2016,

Seleron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ATM all versions of firmware are exploitable due to the issue with the Tegra processor. IMO, if you did upgrade once @SciresM fully releases ATMOSPHERE CFW you would have same functionality if you remained on 4.1.

Thanks for your response. I am aware of that fact but I am asking this for possible easier softmods in the future. I remember him saying 4.1 would be easier to softmod.

My plan: Return back to 4.1 from 5.1 (or more recent firmware at that time) by using hardmod and then start using softmod (if its present in the future).

Thanks again and sorry if its idiotic

Edit: Read your edit, cheers!

Last edited by Seleron,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey guys, does anyone happen to have a video of modding their joycon / soldering wires to the internal contacts?
All I could ever find was this guy using tin foil to boot the Switch into RCM
There were other tutorials that came up but they were in Spanish. But I couldn't find any videos of someone soldering the Joy-Cons.

What SD card formt is better for switch, FAT32 or Exfat? I'll be using an SDXC card and I plan on using it with SX-OS, and I can't decide if I want to trim or trim and split into 4 GB parts. I'd supposed Exfat would be better since it doesnt have a file size limitation.
You kind of answered your own question. The advantage of exFAT over FAT32 is the 4 GB limitation. I've heard that exFAT transfers files faster than FAT32, however I am not sure how reliable that statement is.

I see the term payload used a lot describing files to send for various patches etc.

What exactly is a "payload"? What is the definition?

According to Dictionary it is:
pay·load
ˈpāˌlōd/
noun
noun: payload; plural noun: payloads
  1. 1.
    the part of a vehicle's load, especially an aircraft's, from which revenue is derived; passengers and cargo.
    • equipment, personnel, or satellites carried by a spacecraft.
    • Computing
      the actual information or message in transmitted data, as opposed to automatically generated metadata.
  2. 2.
    an explosive warhead carried by a missile.
You can read up on some of the Switch hacking terminology here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-hacking-updated-faq.502776/

So Nintendo came out with 5.1.0 on 5/30/2018.
I'm not entirely sure about this new update but will it affect CFW for the Nintendo Switch?
Yes, there will be an Atmosphere for all users. You can even quote me on that for future reference. The only reason not to update for 5.1 is unrelated to Atmosphere, it has to do with the current way of loading homebrew. And last I checked, Atmosphere is designed to support homebrew. Here, I'll show you Atmosphere booting into the homebrew launcher.
https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/1002062352387260418
Short answer, no.

@Seleron One of the differences between the Switch and the 3DS is the fuse check. Every few system updates or so, Nintendo burns a fuse inside your Switch and this is a permament modification made to the console. This means that when your Switch turns on, it compares the firmware with the number of fuses burnt. If they don't match, it won't turn on.

But wait! Don't we have an exploit that will allow us to bypass this step? We do, in fact.

The tethered coldboot exploit we currently have takes place before the fuse check. With it, we can turn on the Switch before the Switch has a chance to perform the fuse check. So, this means we can all downgrade to whatever firmware we want!

...but you must use the tethered coldboot.

Although the advantages of being on a lower firmware on the Switch means you may not need to use the tethered coldboot, you have to use the tethered coldboot to boot into the lower firmwares because we have no other means of bypassing this fuse check. And that is why downgrading on the Nintendo Switch is pointless.

Last edited by Draxzelex,

STKV182

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
What happens if i backup my NAND in OFW 5.0.2 and then update to 5.1.0 but something goes wrong with something and i brick the console or at least softbrick it in 5.1.0 and i only have a backup of 5.0.2 ? Is there a way to restore to the previous version ?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What happens if i backup my NAND in OFW 5.0.2 and then update to 5.1.0 but something goes wrong with something and i brick the console or at least softbrick it in 5.1.0 and i only have a backup of 5.0.2 ? Is there a way to restore to the previous version ?
Since the number of fuses burnt is the same for 5.0.2 as compared to 5.1, this is possible. If however, you eventually update to a firmware that burns another fuse (i.e. 6.0), then you will no longer be able to simply inject your NAND backup as the number of fuses for 5.0.2 will not match the newer firmware. We just have no way of restoring the NAND publicly at the moment.

STKV182

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Since the number of fuses burnt is the same for 5.0.2 as compared to 5.1, this is possible. If however, you eventually update to a firmware that burns another fuse (i.e. 6.0), then you will no longer be able to simply inject your NAND backup as the number of fuses for 5.0.2 will not match the newer firmware. We just have no way of restoring the NAND publicly at the moment.

Thanks for the answer

Seleron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
All I could ever find was this guy using tin foil to boot the Switch into RCM
There were other tutorials that came up but they were in Spanish. But I couldn't find any videos of someone soldering the Joy-Cons.

You kind of answered your own question. The advantage of exFAT over FAT32 is the 4 GB limitation. I've heard that exFAT transfers files faster than FAT32, however I am not sure how reliable that statement is.

You can read up on some of the Switch hacking terminology here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-hacking-updated-faq.502776/

Short answer, no.

@Seleron One of the differences between the Switch and the 3DS is the fuse check. Every few system updates or so, Nintendo burns a fuse inside your Switch and this is a permament modification made to the console. This means that when your Switch turns on, it compares the firmware with the number of fuses burnt. If they don't match, it won't turn on.

But wait! Don't we have an exploit that will allow us to bypass this step? We do, in fact.

The tethered coldboot exploit we currently have takes place before the fuse check. With it, we can turn on the Switch before the Switch has a chance to perform the fuse check. So, this means we can all downgrade to whatever firmware we want!

...but you must use the tethered coldboot.

Although the advantages of being on a lower firmware on the Switch means you may not need to use the tethered coldboot, you have to use the tethered coldboot to boot into the lower firmwares because we have no other means of bypassing this fuse check. And that is why downgrading on the Nintendo Switch is pointless.

Wow, thanks for the detailed info. I had no idea about that fuse thing. Now it seems better for me to upgrade 5.1.

TokyoDoll

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

I'm speaking about beginning to put Homebrew on my Switch.
I don't have it installed yet but I'm waiting on the parts for it to begin the CFW.

In other words will I no longer be able to put FW on my Switch because of the newest update?

Last edited by TokyoDoll,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm speaking about beginning to put Homebrew on my Switch.
I don't have it installed yet but I'm waiting on the parts for it to begin the CFW.

In other words will I no longer be able to put FW on my Switch because of the newest update?
Its fine, I was feeling a bit lazy so I just quoted myself from another post of someone asking a similar question. I also included it because it has video proof of homebrew still working on 5.1 whereas the currently available homebrew launcher won't work on 5.1. Anyways, if your end goal is to use the CFW Atmosphere to load homebrew, then you're all set to update to 5.1. Only reason you wouldn't update now is in case you were using the scene's current homebrew launcher which has been patched out in 5.1. The CFW, Atmosphere, is still a work-in-progress and not meant for end-users yet. But its getting close now.

TokyoDoll

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Its fine, I was feeling a bit lazy so I just quoted myself from another post of someone asking a similar question. I also included it because it has video proof of homebrew still working on 5.1 whereas the currently available homebrew launcher won't work on 5.1. Anyways, if your end goal is to use the CFW Atmosphere to load homebrew, then you're all set to update to 5.1. Only reason you wouldn't update now is in case you were using the scene's current homebrew launcher which has been patched out in 5.1. The CFW, Atmosphere, is still a work-in-progress and not meant for end-users yet. But its getting close now.

When you say "close now" do you mean by the progress almost finished or the end-users is close?
I'm confused on that statement.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you say "close now" do you mean by the progress almost finished or the end-users is close?
I'm confused on that statement.
The former. They are getting closer to releasing a public build of it, but still do not recommend anyone running it. That build will most likely be reserved for developers who can jump through the hoops in order to get it properly working. End-users will still have to keep waiting. However, there's a certain mood in the air that its completion is around the corner. Progress for Atmosphere can be found and discussed here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/atmosphere-nx-custom-firmware-in-development-by-sciresm.496832/page-79

Reactions: Deleted User

Marioobros

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1- I wanted to by a switch but I am in a remote area so I only found two with these serial numbers:
XAW100630*****
XAW400125*****
The salesman didn't allow me to check the firmware.. Can anyone help determine which one has the lowest firmware.
2- are all switch on the market now hackable by the latest hardware exploit?
Thank you for the help in advance, I'm most appreciative!

hitodesu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When Im in any haxy modes should I turn my device off by pressing the power button or holding it? I did the test payload the other day and pressed the button and the screen went blue and I had to hold the power button down after that. Is that what I should be doing in this type of stuff?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know any progress to the battery problems with Linux atm? or places/links I can follow so I can stop buggin y'all

The switch OS doesn't measure the actual remaining battery capacity. It keeps track of a percentage and adjust the percentage based on how much you use the switch or charge the switch.
So when you boot into Linux it uses that battery power but the switch OS isn't decreasing that percentage because you're not running that OS. So if you're in the switch OS and you have 50% then you boot into Linux and use 25% more you would think you'd be at 25% remaining.
However the actual switch OS will still think it is at 50% because it's keeping track not measuring remaining capacity. So it's going to power down with what appears to be 25% remaining but actually there's nothing remaining.
It's also not going to charge to an actual 100% but rather to 75%. Because it has lost track of that 25%.
It's not hurting the battery and it's not caused by RCM. It's just the way the switch keeps track of battery percentage

Edit: based on this logic the easiest way to prevent or fix this without disconnecting the battery is the same. Boot to Horizon aka the actual switch OS and charge to, what it thinks, is 100%. After disconnecting from the charger immediately boot into Linux and charge it to an actual 100% in Linux. When you disconnect the power immediately boot back to Horizon.
Now the actual battery percentage and the Switch OS "keeping track of" percentage are synced again

1- I wanted to by a switch but I am in a remote area so I only found two with these serial numbers:
XAW100630*****
XAW400125*****
The salesman didn't allow me to check the firmware.. Can anyone help determine which one has the lowest firmware.
2- are all switch on the market now hackable by the latest hardware exploit?
Thank you for the help in advance, I'm most appreciative!
I believe this thread has all the answers you need: https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-firmware-by-serial-number.481215/
When Im in any haxy modes should I turn my device off by pressing the power button or holding it? I did the test payload the other day and pressed the button and the screen went blue and I had to hold the power button down after that. Is that what I should be doing in this type of stuff?
Its supposed to do that when you turn the console off from a payload that leaves the console in RCM. I forgot the exact reasoning why it does this but its completely harmless. The only payloads that have a trick to turning off the Switch are those that involve Hekate. For those, its not just good enough to press the power button once or hold the power button for 10 seconds. You have to select the "Power Off" option from the Hekate menu. To get back to this menu after booting into either the Stock or CFW configuration, you have to resend the Hekate payload and choose Power Off from that menu to actually turn off the Switch. With any other payload that doesn't involve booting into the Switch's OS, you have to hold power for at least 10 seconds.

I see that Hakate mod (Caecr's) has debug mode now and svc patching care to elaborate?
That type of question would be more appropriate in his thread.

Marioobros

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe this thread has all the answers you need:LINK

I had already checked that thread before posting here, and I could not find neither serial numbers in any of the combinations listed in that thread.
About the other question, are all switch on the market now hackable by the latest hardware exploit?

As of now there are no known Switches models or revisions that are not exploitable by Fusée Gelée or ShofEL2.
As soon as patched Switches will show up I will update this post with new informations.

Does this mean that it will be able to play backups in the future?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had already checked that thread before posting here, and I could not find neither serial numbers in any of the combinations listed in that thread.
About the other question, are all switch on the market now hackable by the latest hardware exploit?

Does this mean that it will be able to play backups in the future?
If you couldn't find the serial numbers, then you take the risk of buying a potentially unhackable Switch. There are plans for a new Switch revision that will patch out our current exploit, but we have no idea when it will hit the market or how to identify it. Until we have confirmation that someone has bought one, we assume that all of the Switches available in the current marketplace can be hacked.

As for backups, TX's modchip is currently the only available way to play backups. However, it has been released yet. It will start shipping out on June 15th. Atmosphere, the open-source CFW, will not enable piracy from its release however its only a matter of time for someone else to implement backup launching for it.

SG911

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if this is the correct section to ask but I'm on the hb store on my switch. I see there's a PS1 emulator called "BeetlePSX" I installed it & run it but it just stays on the one grey screen.
Any suggestions?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3