Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

thicc_n_mix

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys! I have an unmodded OLED and I am thinking about modding it.

Is there a way to back up a game save from the OFW (aka what I have on my unmodded switch) to the CFW or PC for safe keeping?
I had my switch and games stolen recently. Insurance covered a new switch but I'm mostly upset about my lost game saves as I don't wish to pay to cloud save.

I see a lot of stuff on the web about saving CFW saves to OFW but not the other way around.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the information, I wasn't sure whether it was possible to deactivate the famous patches, but now I know it's not possible.

I know I'm taking a risk, but it seems to me that many people have been playing for years using sysnand cfw and emunand cfw with the patches on top.

My question is the following : does the simple fact of having the patches and be connected online (sys cfw) mean a ban? (Forgetting the emunand altogether, since all you have to do is use the various protections or simply make sure it doesn't connect to the Internet.)
I haven't collected any data on whether patches increase ban chances or not but given that most people use patches anyways and that there were bans before the existence of patches, its safe to assume they don't increase your chances significantly.
Hi guys! I have an unmodded OLED and I am thinking about modding it.

Is there a way to back up a game save from the OFW (aka what I have on my unmodded switch) to the CFW or PC for safe keeping?
I had my switch and games stolen recently. Insurance covered a new switch but I'm mostly upset about my lost game saves as I don't wish to pay to cloud save.

I see a lot of stuff on the web about saving CFW saves to OFW but not the other way around.
No, one of the uses for CFW is to backup game saves because it is impossible to do on the Switch. The best alternative is cloud saves but not all games support that service. If you want to backup your save data, you have to hack your console and use CFW

fizzmaister

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, there is no way to check if your pins are damaged without taking apart the console.

Successfully diagnosed the issue. It was the joycon rail. I replaced it, got everything working, and updated all the CFW and tooling.

OFW question. My sysmmc is on 7.0.1, and my emuMMC is on 7.0.1|AMS 1.5.4|E I would like to update to a newer firmware to play newer games. Is there any reason to only update emuMMC? I don't mind not being able to play gamepacks, I have an untouched switch just for that.

Or should I just update OFW, then extract the new firmware and update emummc?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Successfully diagnosed the issue. It was the joycon rail. I replaced it, got everything working, and updated all the CFW and tooling.

OFW question. My sysmmc is on 7.0.1, and my emuMMC is on 7.0.1|AMS 1.5.4|E I would like to update to a newer firmware to play newer games. Is there any reason to only update emuMMC? I don't mind not being able to play gamepacks, I have an untouched switch just for that.

Or should I just update OFW, then extract the new firmware and update emummc?
The original purpose of emuMMC is to be on a higher firmware than sysMMC. Not updating only emuMMC means you're actually doing something wrong.

thicc_n_mix

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you want to backup your save data, you have to hack your console and use CFW
Thanks for replying. Sorry, just a tiny bit of clarity. Are you saying that if I mod my switch I can then back up game saves from OFW to CFW/PC or it's just impossible altogether and I will only be able to back up save files that are originally created in CFW? Many thanks!

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for replying. Sorry, just a tiny bit of clarity. Are you saying that if I mod my switch I can then back up game saves from OFW to CFW/PC or it's just impossible altogether and I will only be able to back up save files that are originally created in CFW? Many thanks!
Now I understand your question. You appear to have a misconception about CFW and OFW. They are just modes that boot the console. Its similar to if you boot your computer normally or in Safe Mode; in both scenarios, you are using your computer. The same applies to the Switch when it comes to CFW and OFW. No matter which one you use, you are still using a Nintendo Switch. And the save data is stored within the console. You cannot dump that save data in OFW but you can dump it in CFW.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering hacking my 2017 non-patched Switch. I’ve been reading https://switch.homebrew.guide/index.html to figure out what I need and I have most of the requirements (all I need is a jig, but they are dirt cheap on Amazon right now). However I have a few questions before I decide to do this.

-fusee-gelee works on all OS versions according to the guide. Is this true? Should I be using this if I have the latest firmware? Anything else I should know about it?
-If I turn my hacked Switch on, will it boot into OFW or CFW? Is there an option to have it turn on normally, and then push a button or start an app to switch it to “modded mode” (like Haxchi on Wii U)? I ask this because I will rarely be using modded content and I don’t want to raise the risk of a ban if possible.
-Can I un-mod my Switch once it’s hacked (for whatever reason)
-If I get banned, does it affect just the user or the entire system? I don’t have Switch Online, but I need the eShop for DLC and game updates. Will keeping my system in airplane mode while using hacks keep me under Nintendo’s radar?
-(Dumb question) Will I need the Joy-Cons for anything? I ask because some Wii U homebrew requires the GamePad or an OG Wii Remote. I do not have working Joy-Cons but I have a Pro Controller

Sorry for the long list. I just want to be 100% sure I know what’s going on before I commit to this.

a_username_that_isnt_cool

Well-Hated Member (Also)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering hacking my 2017 non-patched Switch. I’ve been reading https://switch.homebrew.guide/index.html to figure out what I need and I have most of the requirements (all I need is a jig, but they are dirt cheap on Amazon right now). However I have a few questions before I decide to do this.

-fusee-gelee works on all OS versions according to the guide. Is this true? Should I be using this if I have the latest firmware? Anything else I should know about it?
-If I turn my hacked Switch on, will it boot into OFW or CFW? Is there an option to have it turn on normally, and then push a button or start an app to switch it to “modded mode” (like Haxchi on Wii U)? I ask this because I will rarely be using modded content and I don’t want to raise the risk of a ban if possible.
-Can I un-mod my Switch once it’s hacked (for whatever reason)
-If I get banned, does it affect just the user or the entire system? I don’t have Switch Online, but I need the eShop for DLC and game updates. Will keeping my system in airplane mode while using hacks keep me under Nintendo’s radar?
-(Dumb question) Will I need the Joy-Cons for anything? I ask because some Wii U homebrew requires the GamePad or an OG Wii Remote. I do not have working Joy-Cons but I have a Pro Controller

Sorry for the long list. I just want to be 100% sure I know what’s going on before I commit to this.
Fusee-gelee is a bootrom exploit, meaning it will work on any non-patched switch, no matter anything.
It will boot into OFW if you turn it on, unless AutoRCM is enabled. To "Push a button or start an app" then use PegaScape (if you're lucky enough to be on a version that supports it)
Yes, you can unmod your switch once it's hacked, just literally turn it on without AutoRCM. That's it.
It affects the ENTIRE SYSTEM if you're banned. Don't think airplane mode will help, use exosphere (Atmosphere options)
Nope. Joy-Cons on the Switch are the same as Pro Controllers on the system's side. The software is what says "this is what you have", and most Homebrew doesn't care, as long as you have the buttons.

Reactions: TheDerpyDolphin

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some reason, even though I am on the latest AMS, FW, have everything that is Required, when I Install something, I get .....
Can not Write to Placeholder
Transfer Error
No Ticket Found but they are Required

How do I fix this??

Steel-Winged_Pegasus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IDK where else to ask this, really, but I figure to give it a shot! Does the SNES color restoration patch work for the NSO version of SMA 4: Super Mario Bros 3? Either I did something wrong or it doesn't work on that version, since it looked the same to me when I compared the patched one to the other one

I ask only because I figure the NSO version is the most recent version, but I'm also guessing it's probably the exact same ROM as the WIi U VC one, so I might just patch that instead so I can play it on my Retroid Pocket Flip

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: To ensure Florida is the freest state in the country, we will ban colors.