Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Might possibly be bad .NSP files or they weren't fully installed. Try installing them with another application such as Tinfoil or Goldleaf to see if the issue persists.
The games will be on the HDD and their icons will stay on your home screen. They won't be associated with the micro SD card unless you install some updates to that card for those games.
And what about the save files?

ReDEyeDz

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
So I have a 5.1.0 Switch with SXOS installed and autoRCM enabled.
How do I update properly to the latest 6.2? I don't really care about bans, can I just update via WIFI?

Jokiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So whats the deal with FW 6.2? Havent used my switch in a while and it's currently on 6.0.1 and have seen a lot of "only works on 6.2" or different update files for units under 6.2 etc.
I'm wondering if updating will cause problems/make things harder?
I use SX OS and would like to keep doing it btw!

Last edited by Jokiz,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ill check it out thanks again!

It's strange that it doesn't just update over original copy.
This also happens if you install an update or DLC for a game but the regions don't match.
And what about the save files?
Save files are stored on the NAND so how you play the games makes no difference.
So I have a 5.1.0 Switch with SXOS installed and autoRCM enabled.
How do I update properly to the latest 6.2? I don't really care about bans, can I just update via WIFI?
If you want to preserve your fuses in case you want to downgrade to a lower firmware in the future, such as when a hypothetical untethered coldboot exploit comes out, then you can update with the homebrew application ChoiDujourNX. If you don't care about fuses, you can update online.
So whats the deal with FW 6.2? Havent used my switch in a while and it's currently on 6.0.1 and have seen a lot of "only works on 6.2" or different update files for units under 6.2 etc.
I'm wondering if updating will cause problems/make things harder?
I use SX OS and would like to keep doing it btw!
Firmware 6.2 broke all CFW for a while but as of now, they are all updated to work with that firmware.

A more technical explanation is that firmware 6.2 hid one of the keys CFW use to decrypt the firmware in order to patch it in another chip within the Switch however all CFW now have ways of obtaining that key so they all now support that firmware.

ReDEyeDz

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
If you want to preserve your fuses in case you want to downgrade to a lower firmware in the future, such as when a hypothetical untethered coldboot exploit comes out, then you can update with the homebrew application ChoiDujourNX. If you don't care about fuses, you can update online.
I was told that my Switch will brick definitely if I update online. Just in case updated through Choi. I guess I was scared for nothing.
Will it brick if I load Switch on normal original firmware without autoRCM?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was told that my Switch will brick definitely if I update online. Just in case updated through Choi. I guess I was scared for nothing.
Its kind of impossible to brick from updating online but there is something that can happen which one could mistake for a brick. If you are updating from a firmware that supports exFAT, you typically update to the non-exFAT version of the firmware when you update online. This can cause a black screen when trying to boot CFW since the firmware the CFW is currently trying to boot on lacks the exFAT patch and thus lead to a black screen. This is also another reason why it may be better to update offline with homebrew applications.

Reactions: ReDEyeDz

ReDEyeDz

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Its kind of impossible to brick from updating online but there is something that can happen which one could mistake for a brick. If you are updating from a firmware that supports exFAT, you typically update to the non-exFAT version of the firmware when you update online. This can cause a black screen when trying to boot CFW since the firmware the CFW is currently trying to boot on lacks the exFAT patch and thus lead to a black screen. This is also another reason why it may be better to update offline with homebrew applications.
Thanks a lot. Should I never load original firmware or is it fine?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot. Should I never load original firmware or is it fine?
OFW and CFW share the same firmware so if CFW doesn't support exFAT, then OFW won't support it either. If you are worried about burning fuses, booting OFW through a CFW's bootloader will not burn fuses (e.g. Hekate, SX OS). If you boot OFW without RCM, you will burn fuses. Outside of those situations, its perfectly fine to boot OFW.

Reactions: ReDEyeDz

Felps

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
IS Atmosphere an CFW like ReinX? Or is it something else? I Can't figure it out, and on the instalation of ReinX, it said to deactivate the AutoRCM after change the CFW... So i'm very scared to instal it.

I want to use a save editor, and can't figure it out how to install the homebrew :(

michaelpatko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good day all. Having a ball with my new SX Pro. I was able to dump my retail copy of Zelda BOTW. I set the dumper app to split the xci because my SD card is formatted FAT32. So, my noob question is, If a have an existing XCI that is larger than 4GB, how do I split it so it'll fit onto my SD card AND the switch will be able to read it? Thank you everyone.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right so if I press the + button it just shows blank background then goes back to menu again. Doesn't do or change anything unfortunately
Does it not show any options after pressing +? If not, you can try checking in Data Management. If even that fails, Goldleaf can delete titles as well.
Dumb question, but I don't see the Kosmos splash screen anymore on my Switch. Everything still works, and I see the firmware in the settings, should I be worried?
The Kosmos splash screen should only appear if you are using the autoboot option in Hekate.
IS Atmosphere an CFW like ReinX? Or is it something else? I Can't figure it out, and on the instalation of ReinX, it said to deactivate the AutoRCM after change the CFW... So i'm very scared to instal it.

I want to use a save editor, and can't figure it out how to install the homebrew :(
ReiNX and Atmosphere are very similar. Also the ReiNX guide should have explained how you can add homebrew applications to your Switch. If not, reread the guide; it is very clearly explained if you read through the guide, not skimmed over it.
Good day all. Having a ball with my new SX Pro. I was able to dump my retail copy of Zelda BOTW. I set the dumper app to split the xci because my SD card is formatted FAT32. So, my noob question is, If a have an existing XCI that is larger than 4GB, how do I split it so it'll fit onto my SD card AND the switch will be able to read it? Thank you everyone.
If you google .XCI splitters, a lot of results should pop up. I don't know which ones are better than others or if there is a "best" splitter.
Is there a new exploit for patched systems out yet?
No.
so if i backup my nand with Hekate it will verify the backup but if i load it up through SX OS it wont ?
Yup.

GATWYAY3.2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow so i guess ill be using the PC and not that pricey dongle. is there a preferred way you people are formatting the SD card to exFat ? im just gonna use my mac book disk utility, is that okay

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
Apologies in advance for the long message!

After creating an emunand and updating to 6.2 with Choi I thought I would check that my original fw was still on 6.1. booted the switch normally without using sxos (or removing the sd card, d'oh!). As soon as I did this a message appeared - 'corrupt files found/deleting etc.' and when I booted into cfw all my installed games were gone (well the icons were still there but they needed to be reinstalled.) I assume this happened because of something to do with the nintendo folder on my sd card?

Anyway, the emunand is working fine and I've reinstalled the games so I'm just wondering would the same thing that happened before (the games getting deleted) if I booted the switch normally again? Or does the emunand/emutendo folder protect you from this? Just worried that if I ever accidentally boot normally I'll lose everything again! Is this the reason people use rcm?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!