Switch not getting past Atmosphere logo after changing speakers?

ryan90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I followed a guide to change the speakers as they kept buzzing and have installed the new ones. The switch will not load past the atmosphere logo now sadly. Holding down R also does nothing. I was able to boot into hekate and tried to make a new EMMC on another SD card but even that seems to be stuck as the atmosphere boot logo. I'm very confused any help appreciated.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I followed a guide to change the speakers as they kept buzzing and have installed the new ones. The switch will not load past the atmosphere logo now sadly. Holding down R also does nothing. I was able to boot into hekate and tried to make a new EMMC on another SD card but even that seems to be stuck as the atmosphere boot logo. I'm very confused any help appreciated.
You sure yiu didn’t upgrade anything? This feels like you upgraded something. New speakers shouldn’t be messing you up like that. Open it back up and make sure everything is seated well and you didn’t drop a screw in there somewhere. If you’re superstitious you could put your old speakers back in temporarily while everything is open again. It will help you move forward w/ your troubleshooting if you’ve eliminated that concern.

ryan90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't upgrade anything, just changed the speakers. I noticed one of the new speakers has a slight bit of damage on the cable so tried disconnecting that one but it changed nothing, i'll try disconnecting both and see what happens. Would it be fundamental to reconnect the old ones also?

I did notice that the fan hasn't turned on also but I'm not sure if the fan does normally turn on before the atmosphere logo if anyone could confirm?

I haven't touched anything else on the board though so I'm hoping it's not damaged.
Post automatically merged:

Ok I removed both speakers and still having the same issue

Last edited by ryan90,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't upgrade anything, just changed the speakers. I noticed one of the new speakers has a slight bit of damage on the cable so tried disconnecting that one but it changed nothing, i'll try disconnecting both and see what happens. Would it be fundamental to reconnect the old ones also?

I did notice that the fan hasn't turned on also but I'm not sure if the fan does normally turn on before the atmosphere logo if anyone could confirm?

I haven't touched anything else on the board though so I'm hoping it's not damaged.

Ok I removed both speakers and still having the same issue
Plug in your old ones just to prove it’s not some kinda voodoo. Give everything another look to make sure that you didn’t bump your eMMC for instance. It’s typically adhered with double sided tape but who knows.

E: You also might want to try going into maintenance mode one time. Just do steps 1 and 2…no need to do 3. Some times it works magic and fixes things.

https://en-americas-support.nintend...to-update-nintendo-switch-in-maintenance-mode

ryan90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Plug in your old ones just to prove it’s not some kinda voodoo. Give everything another look to make sure that you didn’t bump your eMMC for instance. It’s typically adhered with double sided tape but who knows.

E: You also might want to try going into maintenance mode one time. Just do steps 1 and 2…no need to do 3. Some times it works magic and fixes things.

https://en-americas-support.nintend...to-update-nintendo-switch-in-maintenance-mode
When I try to enter maintenance mode it just stays on a black screen. but ive noticed it does show up in tegra rcm as normal. I can boot anything from tegra just not atmosphere or even official firmware. How do I check my EMMC

Last edited by ryan90,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I try to enter maintenance mode it just stays on a black screen. but ive noticed it does show up in tegra rcm as normal. I can boot anything from tegra just not atmosphere or even official firmware. How do I check my EMMC

For right now, see if you can see it in Hekate. Click on the eMMC tab and see if you can pull up info.

ryan90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, it loads a lot of info. I ran an eMMC benchmark too and it shows that its all working fine. I noticed the fan didn't spin up at all again but the system says its running at 26'c so maybe thats why .

Reactions: impeeza

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it loads a lot of info. I ran an eMMC benchmark too and it shows that its all working fine. I noticed the fan didn't spin up at all again but the system says its running at 26'c so maybe thats why .
I actually wasn’t expecting that to work. Can you backup your eMMC (both BOOT0/1 and Rawnand.bin)?

Yeah…fan won’t turn on until it reaches the first heat level.

• Love
Reactions: whisky9 and impeeza

ryan90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
how do I check what It lets me backup, It seems like it backs up everything takes some time though I've just tried

I wish there was a way I could restore the firmware of reinstall the firmware and see if that works. But I can't enter the maintenance mode and can't get into daybreak since it's an NRO. Is there maybe a way to try using some kind of bootloader?

Last edited by ryan90,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how do I check what It lets me backup, It seems like it backs up everything takes some time though I've just tried

I wish there was a way I could restore the firmware of reinstall the firmware and see if that works. But I can't enter the maintenance mode and can't get into daybreak since it's an NRO. Is there maybe a way to try using some kind of bootloader?
Hekate is that bootloader but it needs a good copy of a previous backup. If you happen to have one laying around you can move it to the restore directory inside the /backup directory that your recent process created. Any chance you have one handy?

• Love
Reactions: impeeza

ryan90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hekate is that bootloader but it needs a good copy of a previous backup. If you happen to have one laying around you can move it to the restore directory inside the /backup directory that your recent process created. Any chance you have one handy?
I didn't have a backup but ended up following a guide using EMMCHACCGEN which allowed me to rewrite the stock firmware using tegra explorer and a system restore script. Sadly this has made no difference. So far stock firmware, EMUMMC and custom firmware all boot to a black screen and the system power button has to be held in to shut down. If I boot using atmosphere it brings up the atmosphere logo and then just hangs there with nothing happening. the bootloader apps are fine it just can't get into the OS at all. I feel like there is some check that is being run that is crashing everything. The switch is out of warranty so I'm no even sure where to take it.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't have a backup but ended up following a guide using EMMCHACCGEN which allowed me to rewrite the stock firmware using tegra explorer and a system restore script. Sadly this has made no difference. So far stock firmware, EMUMMC and custom firmware all boot to a black screen and the system power button has to be held in to shut down. If I boot using atmosphere it brings up the atmosphere logo and then just hangs there with nothing happening. the bootloader apps are fine it just can't get into the OS at all. I feel like there is some check that is being run that is crashing everything. The switch is out of warranty so I'm no even sure where to take it.
Have you remade the SD card, all of the atmosphere files ECT?

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If OFW doesn't start something is wrong beyond the sdcard/atmosphere/emunand. Are you 100% sure you've been working with the emunand and not the onboard emmc (sysnand)? If the sysnand is not working, any attempts to create an emunand will fail as the emunand is built from the sysnand. You will need to find out what is wrong with your sysnand and get OFW working again before an emunand can be created. I suppose someone could send you a working emunand backup as a test but that presents its own problems.

Given that all your issues began after disassembly for the speaker replacement I would expect the problem to be a hardware problem. EMMC not fully connected or some other component was damaged/disconnected/misaligned while it was apart. Diagnosing that is going to be difficult though since you've made a number of software changes since then. Are you using a modchip or is this an unpatched Switch?

ryan90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If OFW doesn't start something is wrong beyond the sdcard/atmosphere/emunand. Are you 100% sure you've been working with the emunand and not the onboard emmc (sysnand)? If the sysnand is not working, any attempts to create an emunand will fail as the emunand is built from the sysnand. You will need to find out what is wrong with your sysnand and get OFW working again before an emunand can be created. I suppose someone could send you a working emunand backup as a test but that presents its own problems.

Given that all your issues began after disassembly for the speaker replacement I would expect the problem to be a hardware problem. EMMC not fully connected or some other component was damaged/disconnected/misaligned while it was apart. Diagnosing that is going to be difficult though since you've made a number of software changes since then. Are you using a modchip or is this an unpatched Switch?
it's an unpatched switch I'm using, Is there an app you can use to test for not working hardware components. Everything seems to be working fine it just wont boot. I'm starting to think i'll need to buy a new switch

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anyone know where know where I can find an emummc to test?
To clarify a couple things. The storage hardware built into the Switch is an eMMC chip. Often referred to as the sysnand or just emmc. Then there is the emunand or emuemmc that is created from a copy of the hardware chip and stored on the SD card. The Switch OFW always and exclusively uses the hardware eMMC chip.

Since your system cannot boot OFW nor can you get into maintenance mode, you likely have a problem there that must be resolved. You can try to restore from a backup or possibly swap the hardware and rebuild. I believe the eMMC chip is on a removable board for V1. These can be found relatively easily.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He was the ass of gbatemp, everyone knocked on him, I honestly felt bad, even though I was guilty myself, but he egged it all on himself,
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But he still here, but under dif name, he pm me sometimes still even.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's like they think we'll be in their bed pissing on it the next day
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I feel like gbatemp should make t-shirts or memorabilia to remember the lost ones. I bet the Polly shirts would sell out quick.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah that could actually bring lawsuits
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tempsuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    PollySuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your correct, Somebody would be guilty and there would be riots, then they storm the gbatemp capitol,
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Online or not there are still certain rights that judges would have no issue handing out a warrant over
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just look at Kim dotcom
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Honestly I'm scared to, from you, but ok, lemme turn on vpn, virtual machine, private browser first
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Remember that Alexa robot I gifted you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    And that laptop Webcam you never tapped up
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That robot is here somewhere, I hear it moving around at night, but I haven't seen it for months.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh that laptop I give to ancientboi, so you been watching him for months, and he's been watching you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh good more than enough material for the fbi
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn its 5 in morn, I gotta Go wake your mum and send her to work. Check ya later.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    He could make so much money!!! His arm would never get tired lol
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    How are yall doing
    +2
  • VXNlcm5hbWU @ VXNlcm5hbWU:
    Just had a pure banger of a sandwich there, was very nice
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what do you call a dog with no legs?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: what do you call a dog with no legs?