Switch OLED teardown V1/V2

firefly360

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Anyone in the US have any extra, or info on the best place to order?
Hello mattyv,
I have some dat0 adapter left, made by pcbway. They are now in China:
1-3 : 15$ USD each piece
4-8: 12$ USD each
9-10: 10$ USD each

International shipment with tracking : 6$ USD

Please PM if interested

Mulanzo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I've picked up most of the items and watched the install video a few times. I'm usually pretty good at picking up new skills and I've soldered a bunch of times but nothing prepared me for how TINY everything is! This is going to be a tough install....

Just waiting on my Align Me Board and Solder Mask....

Mulanzo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bad news - managed to solder all the wires to the motherboard and managed to solder most of the wires to the Lite Modchip but the soldering tip broke mid soldering the CPU 2 wire to the leg of the chip on the Modchip and I ended up bridging 3 legs and knocking off a resister somewhere. DAMN! Gotta buy a new modchip now :(

• Sad
Reactions: grubgrub

grubgrub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Yeah a microscope is recommended. You should have seen the balls on the emmc chip they look like tiny pin holes.

wow, everything looks so big in the video.
What kind of microscope do you recommend.
This will probably be the only micro solder that i do

grubgrub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Bad news - managed to solder all the wires to the motherboard and managed to solder most of the wires to the Lite Modchip but the soldering tip broke mid soldering the CPU 2 wire to the leg of the chip on the Modchip and I ended up bridging 3 legs and knocking off a resister somewhere. DAMN! Gotta buy a new modchip now :(

aww man you were almost finished as well, just bad luck at the end of the install

gregor4711

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
wow, everything looks so big in the video.
What kind of microscope do you recommend.
This will probably be the only micro solder that i do
I'm pretty happy with this from Amazon (Germany)

1637746766097.png

I cut the 2 silver clams, to keep the motherboard plain. The stand is from my point of view a must to get clear picture.

Reactions: grubgrub

grubgrub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I'm pretty happy with this from Amazon (Germany)

View attachment 286728

I cut the 2 silver clams, to keep the motherboard plain. The stand is from my point of view a must to get clear picture.

Thanks man, i was earlier thinking of cheaping out and getting this:

1637753436129.png

But will opt for this, more expensive but will be easier to work with
1637753490735.png

Mulanzo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks man, i was earlier thinking of cheaping out and getting this:

View attachment 286735

But will opt for this, more expensive but will be easier to work with
View attachment 286736
I have a similar one and admittedly it works very well but because it’s operating as a monocle you don’t have any depth perception so I found it tricky to work under it.

Mulanzo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
aww man you were almost finished as well, just bad luck at the end of the install
Yeah it was all going pretty smoothly and the tip of the soldering iron snapped off and I ruined the chip. After this I don’t ever plan to do microsoldering again.

Also, I still don’t have my Align Me chip but I did everything else. Guess I have to wait for another modchip to arrive as well so I have to microsolder atleast once more :(

grubgrub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Yeah it was all going pretty smoothly and the tip of the soldering iron snapped off and I ruined the chip. After this I don’t ever plan to do microsoldering again.

Also, I still don’t have my Align Me chip but I did everything else. Guess I have to wait for another modchip to arrive as well so I have to microsolder atleast once more :(
Can you salvage the chip?
Was it an SX or hwfly?

What is the Align Me Board?

How did you scrape away that one solder point after you cut the metal frame? (See pics below)
I dont have a grinder pen

1637758007258.png

1637757977253.png

This is my cost for the materials for soldering:
Dont think i'll do any more soldering after this as well.

1637758156593.png

yakuma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia

Mulanzo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can you salvage the chip?
Was it an SX or hwfly?

What is the Align Me Board?

How did you scrape away that one solder point after you cut the metal frame? (See pics below)
I dont have a grinder pen

View attachment 286746

View attachment 286745

This is my cost for the materials for soldering:
Dont think i'll do any more soldering after this as well.

View attachment 286747
Pretty sure the chip is Fubar at this point. I'm not skilled enough to remove the solder bridging the three legs and I have no idea where the SMD popped off from.

96D645F9-76F8-4E01-A29C-E889D0A5D9F0.jpeg

180264DF-8340-41D3-9E5D-71AA86C57A89.jpeg

For the grinding spot, I used a Dremel with a tiny grinder tip on the lowest speed setting and it worked fine. The solder point is TINY. Definitely need the Solder Mask on that point afterwards.

Align Me board is the little Dat0 BGA adaptor PCB that gregor4711 has a few extra of. Highly recommend contacting that guy. Super responsive and quick and his price is super reasonable compared to buying 100 from PCBway.

I'm a little bummed to have ruined my Modchip but I've already started so there's no turning back!! Just have to wait for another to arrive. My bill of materials is rapidly increasing however lol

Last edited by Mulanzo,

grubgrub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Pretty sure the chip is Fubar at this point. I'm not skilled enough to remove the solder bridging the three legs and I have no idea where the SMD popped off from.

View attachment 286776
View attachment 286775

For the grinding spot, I used a Dremel with a tiny grinder tip on the lowest speed setting and it worked fine. The solder point is TINY. Definitely need the Solder Mask on that point afterwards.

Align Me board is the little Dat0 BGA adaptor PCB that gregor4711 has a few extra of. Highly recommend contacting that guy. Super responsive and quick and his price is super reasonable compared to buying 100 from PCBway.

I'm a little bummed to have ruined my Modchip but I've already started so there's no turning back!! Just have to wait for another to arrive. My bill of materials is rapidly increasing however lol

Aww, if the solder tip fell onto of the chip it may have been fine, but if fell on the corner!
This is how the chip suppose to look, you could try solder wick to mop up the solder from the legs, the only problem will be locating the resister.

I ordered a Dat0 adaptor from gregor earlier as well!

1637767952696.png

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil

View attachment 286776
View attachment 286775

Hey!
I'm sorry you could not finish it but the chip is not ruined yet :)
you could save it. it's just a matter of removing he bridges and repositioning the capacitor (that one knocked off is a capacitor).

Reactions: kerelenko

Mulanzo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey!
I'm sorry you could not finish it but the chip is not ruined yet :)
you could save it. it's just a matter of removing he bridges and repositioning the capacitor (that one knocked off is a capacitor).
OOOH! I will try to salvage it. Doesn't hurt to try. Here's a closer look at the damage:

Blue Square - Where the tip landed. The corner of the black chip is a little discoloured. Is this a problem?
Red Square - Looks like the leg bent sideways. Is it a problem to straighten once the bridge is removed with Solder Wick?
Yellow Square - Looks like a leg is missing? Or bent into the solder glob....not sure this is fixable....
Green Square - Is this where the capacitor goes? Does the orientation matter? If the capacitor has prolonged exposure to the tip, would that ruin it? I had to scrape the capacitor off the broken tip of the soldering iron.

Thanks for the help!

IMG_8768.jpg

Last edited by Mulanzo,
Reactions: mvmiranda

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
OOOh…. How does one remove the solder bridge. And where does that capacitor go?
You can use a solder pump, solder wick (also called solder braid) or even your soldering iron.
Use a good flux, put a small amount of solder in the tip, clean it off (you don't want to apply more solder, just make the tip ready to "suck" the solder excess) and quickly touch the bridged areas and pull the tip towards the "end" of the pins, almost as if you're sweeping the iron. DO it quickly, do not sit the iron to "melt" the tin.
Touch, Sweep and remove. In one movement.
The flux will help evenly spread the heat and the melted tin will be "sucked" by the iron tip. The surface tension of the melted tin will "pull" (or suck) the bridges out of the board to the iron tip.

Sounds too much but it's actually quite easy!

As for the capacitor, @grubgrub already posted a picture of what the areas should look like. It's like this:1637772372498.png

Good luck!

Reactions: kerelenko

TheUnknownOne

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello mattyv,
I have some dat0 adapter left, made by pcbway. They are now in China:
1-3 : 15$ USD each piece
4-8: 12$ USD each
9-10: 10$ USD each

International shipment with tracking : 6$ USD

Please PM if interested
Dont think i can pm you yet. Where are you getting these from?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong