Hardware Switch over heating help!

leerpsp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Iv been playing my switch for 4 hours today and noticed my fan on the system was kicked on full blast with the back so hot it was really uncomfortable to touch it I did have it in a nice case the switch come with and it does not block vent's of the system in anyway but I took it out of the case after that and turned it off tell it cooled down, Now my 1st switch that I have SX os installed does not and never had done this even with that same case on it, just this ebay switch I got, Will new thermal paste fix this or not? Just asking on what others think Because I would like to keep the thing and not return it.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New thermal paste that's applied right won't hurt, the improvements would probably be negligible.
The system just heats up sometimes in my experience. It can get pretty hot with extended use.
If it's not piping hot/hurting you then I wouldn't worry about it and just keep it in a well ventilated area

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If the back of your system is getting hot, then probably thermal paste is alright.
If thermal paste was bad, then it would not conduct the heat from CPU to heatsink very well, the fan would go full speed because the CPU is hot, but the back of the system would probably not get so hot.

I believe the reason could be bad airflow, that is more probable. Everything would get hot (including the back of the system) but the system just wouldn't cool down fast because of airflow blockage, I would investigate the insides of the systems looking for accumulated dirt that could be disturbing the airflow.

Last edited by sarkwalvein, , Reason: too sleepy to write something that makes sense
Reactions: Mythical

leerpsp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the back of your system is getting hot, then probably thermal paste is alright.
If thermal paste was bad, then it will not conduct the temperature from CPU to heatsink very well, the fan will go full speed because the CPU is full, but you will probably not notice the back of the system so hot.

I believe the reason could be bad airflow, that is more probable. Everything will get hot (including the back of the system) but the system just can't cool down fast because of airflow blockage, I would investigate the insides of the systems looking for accumulated dirt that could be disturbing the airflow.
Ok I will do that and also get some new thermal paste for it I did put a new back cover on it but did not go deeper in the system I did have to put new joycon cases on as well, This switch was beat all to Hell it was in bad shape before I got it and restored the look. What Thermal paste do you recommended for me to get?

Last edited by leerpsp,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok I will do that and also get some new thermal paste for it I did put a new back cover on it but did not go deeper in the system I did have to put new joycon cases on as well, This switch was beat all to Hell it was in bad shape before I got it and restored the look. What Thermal paste do you recommended for me to get?
No idea really, I would probably just go with Arctic Silver 5... that shouldn't go wrong.

Reactions: leerpsp

leerpsp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That fixed my problem, After taking the system apart it was packed with dust and the thermal paste was dry so dry it was cracked almost looked like a snow flake, after cleaning the dust and putting more thermal past it is working fine so far after testing without over heating for 4 hours.

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
IWill new thermal paste fix this or not? Just asking on what others think Because I would like to keep the thing and not return it.

well, that be the first thing to do if the fans are going full blast on any devices and also do a clean on the internals so u can't blame dirt/dust its good to do anyways. good quality thermal paste like u would for pc

EDIT. cool man the bad airflow might speedup the thermal paste drying up

Last edited by pcwizard7,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My gaming stick can finally get use
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did see Walmart got new electric scooters now ab won't run out of juice in the middle of the parking lot
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:O:O $12. Cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but one two ports
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd rather spend like $15 more for double
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol hogwarts legacy has a Arachnophobia setting to turn on
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff