Homebrew Discussion Switch overclocking released (improved N64 & PSX emu)

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure about that? From what I've read 1.75ghz too much for the switch for long periods.
generally the CPU overclocking is fine. But GPU overclocking can be dangerous. That guy that damaged his Switch was running the CPU at 2ghz and the GPU at 1ghz constantly for a long time

Craftyawesome

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
generally the CPU overclocking is fine. But GPU overclocking can be dangerous. That guy that damaged his Switch was running the CPU at 2ghz and the GPU at 1ghz constantly for a long time
Specifically, the switch uses the same chip as the nvidia shield TV, which supports 2ghz CPU/ 1ghz GPU. However, the shield:
Has a different thermal design
Isn't necessarily meant to consistently run at high speed. It will speed up under load and slow down when hot
Will always have power from an outlet

The switch is meant to offer consistent performance and battery life.
The switch does have some thermal room to spare https://nintendoeverything.com/vide...with-switch-games-and-overheating-the-system/
I'm not sure Linux on switch has any throttling or other temperature protections. The switch's 67° C limit seems low compared to the 90-105 on desktop chips. Also on a small form factor device the limit is probably your hands.

Reactions: ZachyCatGames

NRamos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Im having an issue with diddi kong racing in Overclocked, the game starts fine at the first 15-20 minutes, then the game starts being buggy and it shuts off into home screen saying"The software closed because an error ocurred" how to solve this? Im having this issue with other games.(Not all of them)

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

orangpelupa

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Specifically, the switch uses the same chip as the nvidia shield TV, which supports 2ghz CPU/ 1ghz GPU. However, the shield:
Has a different thermal design
Isn't necessarily meant to consistently run at high speed. It will speed up under load and slow down when hot
Will always have power from an outlet

The switch is meant to offer consistent performance and battery life.
The switch does have some thermal room to spare https://nintendoeverything.com/vide...with-switch-games-and-overheating-the-system/
I'm not sure Linux on switch has any throttling or other temperature protections. The switch's 67° C limit seems low compared to the 90-105 on desktop chips. Also on a small form factor device the limit is probably your hands.

yep, i have explained that multiple times and people keeps having problem wrapping their heads around that.

it doesnt matter what the SoC is originally designed/rated. What matter is what nintendo has designed for Switch.
  • The thermal solution, how much it can dissipate before thermal runway? how long?
  • power delivery, how much watt it can deliver? how much it can sustain safely for long period of time?
  • software bugs due to race condition, does nintendo tied some of their ticks/loop/etc to the timing of clock/performance/frametime/etc? (like some games breaks their physics/random/collision/etc calculation when running in higher framerate)
  • etc

nobody except nintendo know those. While with overclocking, it will increase load on those stuff.

another example:
windows laptop / tablet.

if the CPU is rated at 4GHz and GPU at 1GHz but the cooling solution only can handle 2GHz CPU 500 GHz GPU...

it doesn't mean you can safely assume "oh this is downclocked! stupid brand X! illl just up the clock back to 4GHz and 1GHz as it was originally designed by the chip manufacturer!"

although some manufacturer are "kinda stupid", e.g. my Sony Vaio Tap 11. It doesnt matter if the CPU/GPU is cool enough, it will only turbo for 20seconds or something. They hard-limit the turbo to "time" rather than to temperature :(

or maybe there's actually a catastrophic bug that will occur after 20 seconds of Turbo, so sony simply time limit the turbo to 20s... noone knows.

Alex Atkin UK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
True, but that is why you do not overclock blindly, you stability test, check temps, ideally check power consumption and thermals of the VRMs. Everything except the latter two things were confirmed as having been done on the emulators in question, and the immeasurable change in battery life also suggests those things are fine with a CPU only overclock.

Its also been mentioned that the danger varies depending on how you launch the homebrew. With Linux specifically not having the necessary system management in place to downclock/volt if it reaches dangerous limits, unlike other methods which retain that ability.

The fact this CPU overclock has been measured over weeks as not having any noticeable impact on battery life or temps does suggest its "relatively" safe. Although obviously your mileage may vary depending on if each specific developer using it has performed those same tests.

Bottom line, as said time and time again, overclocking is never safe but also unlikely to kill your Switch before you would have already moved on to something new. The important thing is to know the risks before doing it and there is nothing wrong if you personally do not believe they are worth it.

M7L7NK7

OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
mmm overclocking the Switch.. yeah great idea with the Australian summer rapidly approaching where the ambient temperatures are usually in the 35-45 degrees Celsius range (95-113 farenheit for the antiquated Americans in the audience)

it's well into summer and it's going great

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe