Hacking Switch Update 5.0.1 Released

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Nintendo said:
system stability improvements
Can someone who updated chime in on whether the kickstand has been improved? Sure, homebrew is nice and all, but an improved kickstand? Instant update any day of the week.

Reactions: peteruk

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
glad to see even after all these years you're still post uninformed white-noise garbage here

I'm sorry were you talking? Keep defending Nintendo like a good little sycophant :creep: Good to see you're still the same cowardly condescending, not to mention, sanctimonious punk you've always been, never change.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry were you talking? Keep defending Nintendo like a good little sycophant :creep:
The same could be said about your pessimistic views. Just saying...

DarkenSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What was there to really patch after 5.0.0? Most everything known was patched already. I would say this one is more bug fixes with third party accessories than vulns. Though it's likely some kind of vulnerability was patched that wasn't public.
the key words there was they patched "most" of everything that was "known" if they want to stop people you go all or nothing. Plus 5.0.0 is not impossible just harder to hack we heard this already..but 5.0.1 might be the nail in the coffin this time...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nintendo is getting scared
They were on day one and should always be stopping hackers is like saying the copyright law stops people from stealing music, movies software etc.. its more a joke then anything and almost impossible.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the key words there was they patched "most" of everything that was "known" if they want to stop people you go all or nothing. Plus 5.0.0 is not impossible just harder to hack we heard this already..but 5.0.1 might be the nail in the coffin this time...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

They were on day one and should always be stopping hackers is like saying the copyright law stops people from stealing music, movies software etc.. its more a joke then anything and almost impossible.
My main point in that post was not all updates are vulnerability patches, and sometimes "enhancing the user experience" is actual legitimate bug fixes.

xStellar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm actually glad this update is out lol.

After updating to 5.0 my switch wouldn't properly turn on/off anymore.
Shutting it off, pressing the power button wouldn't work anymore, had to hold for over 15 seconds until i heard a pretty loud noise from the switch.

That's gone after 5.1. Seems like 5.0 really messed with the hardware.

Keith_Loving

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you have a 3rd party dock, Nintendo made sure to brick your Switch. That will show the unfaithful to never support 3rd party docking stations again. lol

Reactions: PCityPaul

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm positive that wasn't intentional, and still not entirely convinced that it was 5.0.0 specifically that triggered it
Based on 5.0.0 not playing nice with all other third party accessories I would say it's partly to blame. Pretty much all third party wireless pro controllers stopped working, and many cause a system crash upon connecting. Given that, it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't play nice with third party docks in a way that bricks the system.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really? That's the first I've heard about that
Just look on Amazon. Many of the third party wireless controllers are getting recent one star reviews because they can't connect, won't stay connected for very long, or in some cases just crash the switch upon connecting. Many of them started releasing updates to fix that though.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just look on Amazon. Many of the third party wireless controllers are getting recent one star reviews because they can't connect, won't stay connected for very long, or in some cases just crash the switch upon connecting. Many of them started releasing updates to fix that though.
Huh

Interesting...

Still, though, the fact that manufacturers are able to roll out firmware updates to correct connections makes the whole thing seem very unintentional. If Nintendo were trying to block 3rd party accessories they'd be whitelisting serial numbers/hardware IDs 'n stuff

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh

Interesting...

Still, though, the fact that manufacturers are able to roll out firmware updates to correct connections makes the whole thing seem very unintentional. If Nintendo were trying to block 3rd party accessories they'd be whitelisting serial numbers/hardware IDs 'n stuff
Oh I totally agree. I don't think Nintendo intentionally did it. In fact I think at least part of the 5.0.1 update is fixing whatever they broke.

HexZyle

Pretty Petty Pedant
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
My main point in that post was not all updates are vulnerability patches, and sometimes "enhancing the user experience" is actual legitimate bug fixes.
As opposed to illegitimate bug fixes ;)

The majority seem to be just obliterating the USB-C port.

Last edited by HexZyle,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Now go take a shower @BakerMan . Phew +1