Switch will not boot emuMMC, black screen after Atmosphere

Lunatics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I have a friends switch that was previously running SX OS and earlier in the year I made the conversion from SX to Atmosphere on his and my switch. Everything was working fine and has been working fine for me since then, however his switch recently stopped booting. After selecting emummc to boot, the Atmosphere blue/purple logo shows up, the almost instantly goes to a black screen and the system hangs up and will not boot.

I have tried everything from copying everything to a new SD card, deleting Atmosphere/contents folder and putting everything back on the SD from scratch related to Atmosphere and the same issues keep happening. I have verified his .ini file etc all match mine and what I use on my switch and I cannot get his emummc to boot.

I am getting close to formatting the SD card completely and starting completely from scratch however I am trying to save his emummc with any games and saves that he had. I believe his original SD card was on its way out as it was having extremely slow transfer speeds and I noticed an "automatic backup" folder inside of the atmosphere folder that just had all corrupt text for the names of the files and I was unable to delete any of these files or folder.

I am afraid if this happened to one folder, then something could be messed up in the emummc folder preventing the system from booting.

Does anyone have any suggestions or any other advice to try? I know these black screen issues seem to typically be fixed by updating sigpatches, deleting contents folder or reinstalling Atmosphere and none of these have worked for me (trying to use his old emummc) and I am afraid I will have to blow it all away and start completely from scratch. Looking for anything I might be able to do to salvage the existing emummc or data inside of it or will we just have to bite the bullet and start from scratch?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did it had a hidden partition emunand?
Hey guys, I have a friends switch that was previously running SX OS and earlier in the year I made the conversion from SX to Atmosphere on his and my switch. Everything was working fine and has been working fine for me since then, however his switch recently stopped booting. After selecting emummc to boot, the Atmosphere blue/purple logo shows up, the almost instantly goes to a black screen and the system hangs up and will not boot.

I have tried everything from copying everything to a new SD card, deleting Atmosphere/contents folder and putting everything back on the SD from scratch related to Atmosphere and the same issues keep happening. I have verified his .ini file etc all match mine and what I use on my switch and I cannot get his emummc to boot.

I am getting close to formatting the SD card completely and starting completely from scratch however I am trying to save his emummc with any games and saves that he had. I believe his original SD card was on its way out as it was having extremely slow transfer speeds and I noticed an "automatic backup" folder inside of the atmosphere folder that just had all corrupt text for the names of the files and I was unable to delete any of these files or folder.

I am afraid if this happened to one folder, then something could be messed up in the emummc folder preventing the system from booting.

Does anyone have any suggestions or any other advice to try? I know these black screen issues seem to typically be fixed by updating sigpatches, deleting contents folder or reinstalling Atmosphere and none of these have worked for me (trying to use his old emummc) and I am afraid I will have to blow it all away and start completely from scratch. Looking for anything I might be able to do to salvage the existing emummc or data inside of it or will we just have to bite the bullet and start from scratch?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-noob-paradise-ask-questions-here.488277/page-1857#post-10034248

Your question been answer in switch noob paradise thread, use that in the future.

Lunatics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Animage55

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dang. It seems like this forum isn't as good for switch as it is for older consoles. This seems like a legit issue that can happen to anyone. I'm scared to softmod now Dx. I mean what happens when atmosphere gets replaced by the next thing? Or was it the old sd card? Or was it the format of the emunand? I read that file type emunands corrupt easier than partition type. So many varibles it makes me love my wii u lmao

Last edited by Animage55,

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Is your SD card formatted in exFat?
Nintendo has a bad exFat implementation that wrecks the SD card sometimes.
It can be just some file contents or the filesystem itself.
We've all been there. exFat works fine until it completely wrecks everything one day.
In my case the Switch became unresponsive and I turned it off forcefully, wrecking the file system of my SD card.

You can also add an extra entry to Hekate to boot with CFW into the sysnand.
If that works, than it's likely the emummc image got corrupted.

If you don't have a spare SD card, just copy the contents of the SD card to a PC.
As you said, you have an emummc folder so that is where the emummc nand image (about 32GB) should be located.
If you get errors while copying the SD card, that might indicate some corruption.
It can be that the SD card itself is having issues.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: lorelei from pokemon is so fuckin bad bro