Homebrew Question Switchroot dolphin joysticks not working?

Gameboyandwatch

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I’ve been trying to setup dolphin on lineageos on my switch, and it’s been fine, but for some reason the joysticks do not work at all when I try to use them in a game. The only thing they do is push right when I click the thumb sticks which is weird. advice?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi, I’ve been trying to setup dolphin on lineageos on my switch, and it’s been fine, but for some reason the joysticks do not work at all when I try to use them in a game. The only thing they do is push right when I click the thumb sticks which is weird. advice?
As @snoofly said, did you install fix-joycon.zip? It's mentioned right in the first post of the ROM release thread.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I were you I'd just wait until Switchroot's next release, whenever that is. Supposedly we have better joycon support coming, better standby battery, and Pie.

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Switchroot droid/Dolphin's working great for me,
See no reason not to jump on board and enjoy some GC goodness.
OP's probably just got some minor fix to make.
I use the empty gamecard slot to hold the other sd when using Android, so it comes in useful after all.

D

Deleted User

Yeah people who knock android on switch are just silly and lazy honestly. It takes time to configure it but once you do it is worth it. Personally I don’t feel gamecube emulation is worth it. I think yaba sanshiro for saturn, redream for dreamcast, fpse for ps1, and drastic for ds totally are though. Are you sure you configured the joycon’s in settings? If you flashed the joycon fix that might be the problem. But the actual correct answer is use either a pro controller or if you want even better quality a ps3 controller. The joycons don’t work as good across the board actually.

Gameboyandwatch

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did you install the
fix-joycon.zip
via TWRP after flashing the android image
No, I didn't. Is that all I need to do? EDIT: I flashed the file, and joysticks still don't work on dolphin. Not sure whats up.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, does docking work? I can't test with my dock because I don't have the original charger so I'm charging off a pro controller cable.

Last edited by Gameboyandwatch,

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah people who knock android on switch are just silly and lazy honestly. It takes time to configure it but once you do it is worth it. Personally I don’t feel gamecube emulation is worth it. I think yaba sanshiro for saturn, redream for dreamcast, fpse for ps1, and drastic for ds totally are though. Are you sure you configured the joycon’s in settings? If you flashed the joycon fix that might be the problem. But the actual correct answer is use either a pro controller or if you want even better quality a ps3 controller. The joycons don’t work as good across the board actually.
Yeah, I get the point re Gamecube emulation after testing some games over the last few days.
Some games like Monkey Ball seem to work really well which makes it worth it in itself to me, but quite a few are unplayable.
If I'm serious about wanting to play through a Gamecube game, I'll always use my WiiU as it's perfect compatibility for everything GC and Wii.
It's good to setup Android Dolphin on the Switch though for when your WiiU isn't to hand and you can put up with the odd stuttering.
I'm looking forward to a new L4T Lakka release though.

D

Deleted User

Yeah, I get the point re Gamecube emulation after testing some games over the last few days.
Some games like Monkey Ball seem to work really well which makes it worth it in itself to me, but quite a few are unplayable.
If I'm serious about wanting to play through a Gamecube game, I'll always use my WiiU as it's perfect compatibility for everything GC and Wii.
It's good to setup Android Dolphin on the Switch though for when your WiiU isn't to hand and you can put up with the odd stuttering.
I'm looking forward to a new L4T Lakka release though.

duh switch has a monkey ball port though! I love monkey ball it is definitely worth it! I also have a wii u and protop wii usb helper is working again! So it is definitely the way to go there. But yeah in terms of android saturn and dreamcast emulation all day boss. Enjoy!

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
duh switch has a monkey ball port though! I love monkey ball it is definitely worth it! I also have a wii u and protop wii usb helper is working again! So it is definitely the way to go there. But yeah in terms of android saturn and dreamcast emulation all day boss. Enjoy!
switch monkey ball is a poor bastard child of true monkey ball (1&2)
the only other good monkey was splitz on the vita

D

Deleted User

switch monkey ball is a poor bastard child of true monkey ball (1&2)
the only other good monkey was splitz on the vita

i completely agree but ya gotta take what you can get. All in all you are better off using wii u for the superior versions and playing the switch one when you are away from home (sorry vita screen is just too small to me now). It is what it is. Wasn’t sure if you knew about the switch version as it is fairly new. It’s really not that bad but i feel ya.

Last edited by ,

eskinner3742

GBAtemp Professional Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by eskinner3742,

Lunatics

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I flashed the joycon fix and when I go into Dolphin I am able to configure my joycons to use as a controller, however I am running into issues with the left joycon. It does not appear to detect the L button or ZL button, or the Dpad when I try to map these within Dolphin. I can map every other button okay, I can use the right triggers for R however the left ones and the Dpad I am unable to set. Anyone have any ideas why this may be happening?

Also is there any advice on how to get things running stable? I feel like I see posts of people touting how great Switchroot is and I have tried Lakka and Switchroot and feel like I have the same performance as Horizon OS, sometimes even worse when it came to some stuff in Retroarch. I mainly want to try and play the Zelda games for GC and Wii but am having issues getting the joycons set up properly, and even then the performance seems to not be great unless I am missing something.

Also I just tested and even thought the Control Stick is being detected on the left joycon and letting me map it in Dolphin, when I load a game it does not actually function or do anything.

Last edited by Lunatics,

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey guys, I flashed the joycon fix and when I go into Dolphin I am able to configure my joycons to use as a controller, however I am running into issues with the left joycon. It does not appear to detect the L button or ZL button, or the Dpad when I try to map these within Dolphin. I can map every other button okay, I can use the right triggers for R however the left ones and the Dpad I am unable to set. Anyone have any ideas why this may be happening?

Also is there any advice on how to get things running stable? I feel like I see posts of people touting how great Switchroot is and I have tried Lakka and Switchroot and feel like I have the same performance as Horizon OS, sometimes even worse when it came to some stuff in Retroarch. I mainly want to try and play the Zelda games for GC and Wii but am having issues getting the joycons set up properly, and even then the performance seems to not be great unless I am missing something.

Also I just tested and even thought the Control Stick is being detected on the left joycon and letting me map it in Dolphin, when I load a game it does not actually function or do anything.

Few things for dolphin
*download an MMJ build they work much better, if you hunt around you can probly find they latest ones. Some got removed because the dev didnt provide sourcecode. He supposedly was going to and reupload but never did.
*Hold down your finger on a game when selecting to choose individual settings, once done it will save specific settings for that game. There is a template(either on switchroot first few pages or on shield tv forums) for performance. It adds vsync off, and a bunch of things. I suggest copy pasting the contents over once you have individual game settings saved. You can also map individual settings for controllers too. Make sure when you select, input controller 1 is selected as “emulated” not none.
*make sure your battery profile is at maximum performance(1700 overclock)
*make sure your sd card is decent

For wii games can get full speed for new super mario bros wii
Gamecube Ive managed full speed with so far
Megaman X collection
Anniversary
Tak 1, 2 & 3
Zelda Wind Waker(need to overclock dolphin cpu between 55-60, very final boss will lag)
Mario sunshine runs between 21-25fps(25 is max)

Choose PAL over NTSC in general for gamecube.
Wii performance in general won’t be great barring a few less demanding games.
Zelda skyward sword will not get good performance.

Last edited by Basketto,

Lunatics

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Few things for dolphin
*download an MMJ build they work much better, if you hunt around you can probly find they latest ones. Some got removed because the dev didnt provide sourcecode. He supposedly was going to and reupload but never did.
*Hold down your finger on a game when selecting to choose individual settings, once done it will save specific settings for that game. There is a template(either on switchroot first few pages or on shield tv forums) for performance. It adds vsync off, and a bunch of things. I suggest copy pasting the contents over once you have individual game settings saved. You can also map individual settings for controllers too. Make sure when you select, input controller 1 is selected as “emulated” not none.
*make sure your battery profile is at maximum performance(1700 overclock)
*make sure your sd card is decent

For wii games can get full speed for new super mario bros wii
Gamecube Ive managed full speed with so far
Megaman X collection
Anniversary
Tak 1, 2 & 3
Zelda Wind Waker(need to overclock dolphin cpu between 55-60, very final boss will lag)
Mario sunshine runs between 21-25fps(25 is max)

Choose PAL over NTSC in general for gamecube.
Wii performance in general won’t be great barring a few less demanding games.
Zelda skyward sword will not get good performance.
I have tried both the MMJ and normal version of Dolphin and am having the same issues. The performance issues are irrelevant to me really if I cannot get the joycons to work properly. Again, I can properly bind buttons within Dolphin (despite both the L and R stick showing as "L joycon" when I bind them) to both joycons yet when I try to open a game, the left joycon does nothing at all. I have not tried a pro controller but not being able to play handheld takes a lot away from the switch and being able to take it with me. I am not sure what I am missing or doing wrong that is preventing this from working properly. When I launch Retroarch on Switchroot and try to play an N64 game for instance, the controls work perfectly, it is specifically in Dolphin where I seem to be having issues. I will try to find that config file to see if it changes anything but the buttons bind correctly in setup and will not function in game.

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have tried both the MMJ and normal version of Dolphin and am having the same issues. The performance issues are irrelevant to me really if I cannot get the joycons to work properly. Again, I can properly bind buttons within Dolphin (despite both the L and R stick showing as "L joycon" when I bind them) to both joycons yet when I try to open a game, the left joycon does nothing at all. I have not tried a pro controller but not being able to play handheld takes a lot away from the switch and being able to take it with me. I am not sure what I am missing or doing wrong that is preventing this from working properly. When I launch Retroarch on Switchroot and try to play an N64 game for instance, the controls work perfectly, it is specifically in Dolphin where I seem to be having issues. I will try to find that config file to see if it changes anything but the buttons bind correctly in setup and will not function in game.

try uninstall/reinstall dolphin
*On a sidenote i recommend mupenplusfz over retroarch for n64

if reinstalling dolphin fails and L joycon still doesnt work, can you save an individual games settings and paste the controller inputs here? They will be at the top of the list for that particular games settings. They will be in a folder called gamesettings inside dolphin or dolphinmmj folder. I personly use x-plore, in the case you dont have an app to view/transfer file contents.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/OLqeHmZp-Wc?si=gnlLbzZEgWiNp5E5