Hacking Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment [PSP]

exorcizamus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
i confused if i use the original files and rebuild the cpk with cripacked filesystem the game boot fine
but if i edit one file with hex edittor (madedit) the game not boot
i donw know why not start after edit. sorry my for my bad english :) please not write troll comment

omarrrio

Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
i confused if i use the original files and rebuild the cpk with cripacked filesystem the game boot fine
but if i edit one file with hex edittor (madedit) the game not boot
i donw know why not start after edit. sorry my for my bad english :) please not write troll comment
Madedit is a hex editor, when you edit using hex overwriting or replacing it will mess up the pointer system of the text,just refrain from using any hex editor to edit your stuff.

exorcizamus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
omarrio what software to use edit the files :) pls help me.
i found the problem :D use flex hex thats all :D sys is partialy translated ^^ mail system under translating :)

zero_g_monkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
omarrio what software to use edit the files :) pls help me.
If you are interested in romhacking. I would suggest starting on a game that is in your native language first. Just see if you can modify text. A good suggestion and one of the simplest games in structure I have seen PSP wise is The Legend of Heroes Garghav Trilogy (Moonlight Witch, Tear Vermillion or Caresong Ocean) . Very few files. Everything is pretty much plain and dry. When you start involving stuff like compression and containers, you are getting into the more advance stuff (even some I don't understand myself and I have done this for 18 years). If you are unsure where to start or what program to use. I have to say you really need to start with the basics. Madedit (or the more recent version wxMEdit) are good hex editors. I use them all day, every day. The question I have is, have you ever done any romhacking before?

Without knowing exactly which file you are editing, I couldn't begin to tell you why the game won't boot. I messed around with this game for fun and never had any problems with it booting after the rebuild (and the eboot hack). Also make sure your checksums match up. ISO games are really tricky since they game needs certain files to be in certain spots to find them.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
You leave out the possibility that there are those who already own the PSP version, but don't want to buy a Vita and HF for a single game. Additionally, given that there was no direct reference to piracy, and it's not your thread, why don't you leave well enough alone.

Namco expects people to buy their translation.
If someone started to inject that specific official English script in the PSP version and distribute it, someone will get in trouble - that English script is copyrighted.
And yes it happened before with Nintendo suing to oblivion pirates reusing Pokémon scripts to make their own bootleg translations for the GBA remakes. Or Sky reusing official Spanish scripts from various SE remakes and injecting them in earlier versions.

"I have no money ( = I don't want to buy the English Vita version), but you should distribute the copyrighted official English script from the Vita English game for me for free"
Oh, and people with no access to money are now entitled to own stuff that's normally sold? (and I do mean at the very least the official English vita script)
After all, if something goes wrong, they won't be the ones to pay for the spilled milk when Namco decides to sue for copyright infringement.

Additionally, given that there was no direct reference to piracy, and it's not your thread, why don't you leave well enough alone.

I Recently was forced into a Lower Class job giving me No extra spending money to go and Dwindle on luxury items.
(you want to get it, you don't want to spend money for it, and it's not piracy. Yeaaaah...)

And last I saw this is a public forum.

Reactions: Skelletonike

Riku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GHANMI, original japanese game script (including game scenario, story, characters, etc) is copyrighted intellectual property. The fact big companies doesn't bother to sue people for distributing translations doesn't make it legal.

Sporky McForkinspoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Namco expects people to buy their translation.
If someone started to inject that specific official English script in the PSP version and distribute it, someone will get in trouble - that English script is copyrighted.
And yes it happened before with Nintendo suing to oblivion pirates reusing Pokémon scripts to make their own bootleg translations for the GBA remakes. Or Sky reusing official Spanish scripts from various SE remakes and injecting them in earlier versions.
And that fine, explaining that is fine, but jumping on someone for "piracy" because they said they couldn't afford to by a Vita is a complete non sequitur.

"I have no money ( = I don't want to buy the English Vita version), but you should distribute the copyrighted official English script from the Vita English game for me for free"
Oh, and people with no access to money are now entitled to own stuff that's normally sold? (and I do mean at the very least the official English vita script)
After all, if something goes wrong, they won't be the ones to pay for the spilled milk when Namco decides to sue for copyright infringement.
Again, it does not follow from "I have no money" that "I want to pirate this game". However, since you mention it, I see no reason why a person being poor means they should be denied access to something that is literally free to produce an effectively infinite number of copies of. And if you want to go too deep down the piracy rabbit hole, any translation patch is illegal. The Japanese script of Ni no Kuni for the DS is owned by Namco, and a derivative work, like a translated script, is illegal to create and distribute under the exact same laws that make distributing the English script of Hollow Fragment illegal. To say nothing of violating the DMCA's section 1201 (or similar law depending on country, it's all covered by the WIPO Treaty of 1998) which makes it a felony to circumvent DRM, even if what you're doing would otherwise be covered by fair use. Let's not pretend that any of this is above board.

(you want to get it, you don't want to spend money for it, and it's not piracy. Yeaaaah...)

And last I saw this is a public forum.
I never said it wasn't a public forum, just that, as it's not your project, you weren't the one asked to transfer the HF script, and you're not a mod (they evidently didn't think it was necessary to get rid of Sorawind's request) you could maybe let those actually involved deal with it. More to the point, as I made clear the first time, wanting to be able to play Infinity Moment without spending money on Hollow does not require that one pirate anything. He has even clarified since that he owns a copy of Infinity Moment, and would like to be able to play a version of it in English, without spending additional money on a Vita. Since there is no way to do it legally, and you're advocating one specific illegal method, perhaps you could get down off that particular high horse.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Please don't turn this thread into piracy debate.
be happy for what users provide, don't ask for anything because you decided that you need to have it whatever the reason is.

If it's not available or released, then don't request it.
If it's released, enjoy it and thank the one who spent their time on it.

Let's get back to the project discussion and progression.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
And that fine, explaining that is fine, but jumping on someone for "piracy" because they said they couldn't afford to by a Vita is a complete non sequitur.

Again, it does not follow from "I have no money" that "I want to pirate this game". However, since you mention it, I see no reason why a person being poor means they should be denied access to something that is literally free to produce an effectively infinite number of copies of. And if you want to go too deep down the piracy rabbit hole, any translation patch is illegal. The Japanese script of Ni no Kuni for the DS is owned by Namco, and a derivative work, like a translated script, is illegal to create and distribute under the exact same laws that make distributing the English script of Hollow Fragment illegal. To say nothing of violating the DMCA's section 1201 (or similar law depending on country, it's all covered by the WIPO Treaty of 1998) which makes it a felony to circumvent DRM, even if what you're doing would otherwise be covered by fair use. Let's not pretend that any of this is above board.

re: whataboutism
That's Level-5. And we're doing our own translation, not using the PS3 script by Namco (or rather L-5 since Namco only distributed it).
We're not including an anti-piracy fix either.
The actual file tampering (or you call it DRM-breaking? which it isn't (no AP fixes, no security encryptions) but rather hex editing and replacing stuff)

Companies implicitely accept fan-translations as long as it doesn't impact an official release (the game i'm involved with has been long officially dropped by Level-5, not just "we are considering/we have nothing to announce", it's also different from the localized PS3 build)

Regular fan-translations of Japan-only stuff are acknowledged (and often lauded) by at least the following companies in their interviews: Atlus, Xseed, Square-Enix, Sega, Konami, Nintendo, Namco, Bandai ...
Distributing pre-patched games either for free or for money, or including translated scripts from official commercial releases in free patches however was almost universally met with a really BAD outcome for the distributors of said illegal content.

l;dr: we're not taking a copyrighted English script and putting it in a free patch. nice try

re:Hollow Fragment
If you just distribute for free the English translation Namco is selling, you're jeopardizing that version's sales (and future localizations, but that's another matter) and they WILL take legal action against the translation team, which now would become pirates distributing PS Vita game scripts illegally for free.

re:is piracy okay/ right to have Hollow Fragment's script without spending money on Hollow Fragment
I won't enter that debate.
However I'll point one thing about that side remark of yours: doing/supporting fan-translation IS NOT supporting piracy.

Many skilled persons are afraid of downloading fan-translations or helping with one because they perceive it as illegal, and they have jobs/studies/relations they can't afford to lose because they have a criminal record because of some copyright infringement suit due to... a hobby.
I find it a shame you're propagating that fallacious idea.

I never said it wasn't a public forum, just that, as it's not your project, you weren't the one asked to transfer the HF script, and you're not a mod (they evidently didn't think it was necessary to get rid of Sorawind's request) you could maybe let those actually involved deal with it. More to the point, as I made clear the first time, wanting to be able to play Infinity Moment without spending money on Hollow does not require that one pirate anything. He has even clarified since that he owns a copy of Infinity Moment, and would like to be able to play a version of it in English, without spending additional money on a Vita.

I'm not pretending to speak on behalf of the Sword Art Online project members.
I'm just stating my insight about the whole deal. Just as you are stating your opinions, or that guy came up with his idea
- I'm entitled to write this (as long as I don't breach the guidelines)
I warned about a potential legal danger.
Don't like when warning about dangers doesn't serve your interest? Too bad. I'd rather not see Sky's situation repeat itself just to have a quick patch and the patch authors presented as the scapegoats.

Since there is no way to do it legally, and you're advocating one specific illegal method, perhaps you could get down off that particular high horse.

The genius outburst of an idea that was "let's extract the text from Hollow Fragment and put it in Infinite Moment and distribute that as a free patch - and then you guys could deal with Namco's lawyers but that's not my problem as I'm then too busy exercising my rights of playing Japanese-only games in English and for free "
.... isn't mine.

And the people who'd like to play the PSP version in English for free have three options:
a) get off their high horses and learn Japanese and play their pirated PSP iso
b) wait for the PS vita to be hacked / emulated, and get a pirated iso of the English Vita version
c) kindly wait for an eventual translation done 100% by this team (however, whenever, and whether the team likes it) and apply it on their pirated PSP iso - without asking them to endanger their livelihoods just so that some self-entitled pirates play their game for free sooner

If they are willing to spend some money, they have those options:
a) buy a Vita, buy the PS Vita version and play it in English right now - only immediate solution
b) learn Japanese and play their legally bought PSP copy
c) kindly wait for an eventual translation done 100% by this team - without asking them to do a copyright-infringement crime (you know, the part usually avoided with using translation patches)

If you regard those as your sacred rights:
a) playing Japan-only games that weren't released in your region
b) without spending a dime (aka piracy)
c) in English
d) using a script from an officially released and available-for-you English version that you refuse to buy for some arbitrary reason

Bear in mind that this team has no obligation to do it for you.
And in that specific way that endanger them legally much, much more than regular translations.
How about... people who came up with this idea do it themselves on their own and assume the consequences?

This will be my last reply regarding this specific point. I tried to adress the critisisms pointed towards a project I was involved with as well as clarifying what I said earlier -avoiding this devolving to a piracy debate.

exorcizamus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
the first result of my hard work ^^

Attachments

• received_m_mid_1411603325044_c9f76bf4472d720279_0.jpeg
    received_m_mid_1411603325044_c9f76bf4472d720279_0.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 491

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ahah, I can see the "N" instead of "n", what a bitch when a game tells you "/n" means newline and thus you can't put a proper "n" in your sentence.

And people think it's easy if we just givaway tools...

Reactions: omarrrio

exorcizamus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
the text editing is very hard i use flex hex to edit no other programs usable the game not boot when i use another software or text edittor. someone know what sofware usable to edit the game text's ? sorry for my bad english ^^

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You said ? Also reduced the y position of the newline to be able to write 5 lines instead of 4 (even if on this screen I don't like the results)
39r7B7w.jpg

exorcizamus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
storymu pls upload here the misc /mail file :) ^^
i curenty work on item / skill names :)
i need a litle help if not enought space between 2 hex string how to make more space ? copy the empy space and paste? i use flex hex when i try mad edit or other the game not start :/

exorcizamus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
i need the text only :) (problems with translating:D)
and plspost one hex wiew :)
i readed the romhack tutorial but i not fint the ansver

examle in psp/game/sys/sys cointain some name kirito name is 3 charater long
キリ how to put kirito 6chr long name in 3 only one digit space between names. i dont know how to put blank space to remaining 3 chr

Falo

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i need the text only :) (problems with translating:D)
and plspost one hex wiew :)
i readed the romhack tutorial but i not fint the ansver

examle in psp/game/sys/sys cointain some name kirito name is 3 charater long
キリ how to put kirito 6chr long name in 3 only one digit space between names. i dont know how to put blank space to remaining 3 chr

In case of OFS3 files, all what you need to do is unpack & repack them to fix this problem.

But files like "psp\misc\mail" or "psp\misc\guilds\ofs3_0000.dat" are not pointer-based files, they have a fixed length in the eboot.
You need to change the length or modify the code to read UTF8 instead of UTF16 (don't ask me how to do that, i don't know).

For the "n" problem, well... the eboot has 3 checks for "\n", just renaming these strings removes the problem and 0x0A still works as line break... (see picture below)

Also in case you guys didn't know, the game has an v1.01 update file.
(Don't know if i'm allowed to post a link to the pkg, but you can use PSNPKGDecryptor&Extractor.exe to get the update.)

The updated eboot.bin reads "ms0:/PSP/GAME/NPJH50701/PDATA.EDAT", this is a cpk like INSTALL.DAT and loads all patched files.

Using the nploader plugin and a decrypted PDATA.EDAT it's possible to translate this game without touching the iso/umd/psn EBOOT.PBP, and it's much easier to share a translated 30+ MB file instead of tools & instructions how to repack the iso/install.dat/etc... .

This picture here was made using a decrypted PBOOT.PBP, decrypted+repacked PDATA.EDAT and an unmodified PSN EBOOT.PBP on a real psp:
(the "\n" at the end was just a small test, to find out if my "n" patch works)

Reactions: GHANMI

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think I have a 256GB card in my 3DS lol
    It's a New 3DS XL so it's still under warranty... If it ever breaks gonna make Nintendo fix it lol You said it was new.... For eternity!!!
    But my 3DS is loaded with emulators and 3DS games and DS games and GBA games probably thousands of games in total lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb going with my dad
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, are most of those games shovelware?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah gotta buy 3 1tb SD cards for 3ds the entire libraries need archived in my home
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    >buys x3 1TB SD cards
    >stores the entire 3DS library on them
    >installs CFW
    >realised why I wasted loads of money and resources
    +2
    Lol no I clean my sets
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cause it's in my home ready to go
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like uremum
    But 100 games on SNES and Genesis and GBA then TG16 and NES and GB and GBC then all the other random systems and arcade games it all adds up lol
    +1
    Virtual Boy alone has probably 5 games!!! Lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I won't mention any names in chat but some of us wastes $300 on preloaded hdds :tpi:
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, The PS5 had none.
    +2
    Lol I spent more than that on a stuffed 4TB drive lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly I've yet to fill the 1tb internal drive on my ps5
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, 1) except final fantasy 16. 2) why would I have a console's whole catalogue if most of the games are either shovelware or terrible games?
    Kind of a waste, but the allure of all those games over 100,000
    Some shovel ware with low ratings you might enjoy more than the ratings would sugest
    +1
    Cruisn on the Wii is one of my personal examples of that, it's considered one of the worst games of all time, I loved it and completed it several times.
    +1
    The trick for me was to go into the settings and crank up the Wiimote sensitivity to the max and it gets twitchy but you can win that way lol
    Lots of other games I enjoyed that reviews would say otherwise lol
  • btei @ btei:
    lethal company servers are down rn
  • btei @ btei:
    my pocket pikachu is going crazy rn
    Pocket Pikachu sounds dirty lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Pocket Pikachu sounds dirty lol