Hacking SX OS contains brick code!

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love how some people are in here saying how they're all for TX having brick code to stop people from pirating thier software yet get pissed when Nintendo bans them for pirating their software, or worse, if they bricked consoles for using SX OS.

Oh the irony here! Classic.

Masacci0

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I love how some people are in here saying how they're all for TX having brick code to stop people from pirating thier software yet get pissed when Nintendo bans them for pirating their software, or worse, if they bricked consoles for using SX OS.

Oh the irony here! Classic.

Don't think anyone with a sane mind would complain about nintendo banning pirates. People talk about how preventing it.

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's not a brick if TX can easily restore your system. According to hexkyz they're setting a password. You can easily unset it. This is really more of annoyance than a brick. An annoyance for crackers of SX OS, not regular users.

Gateway did exactly the same thing though.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

really? you know who else like's brick code? Apple. Don't believe me? google Error 53 class action lawsuit.

And that's why a lawsuit occured, because it's illegal and shitty.
It's funny you bring up Apple as if they're the golden child of the industry that never does anything wrong. If anything it proves the point that shitty companies do shitty things and there are people out there who are willing to defend shitty practices.

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
While I enjoy my SX OS, this shit sucks. They created code to intentionally brick devices and sell it to people. Only god knows if and when this triggers. I sure hope we will either see this brick code removed or an open alternative without brick code. If I hadn't already paid, this is the kind of move that would have made me not purchase it.

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't read all of the pages (maybe like 1 of them...) but it just seems like this is an uproar for no reason? They put in brick code so people wouldn't steal their work. I know a lot of people were happy to hear that devs were working on RE it but I don't really see any issue in protecting code like that. Hell, I see that they were heavily modifying the boot file and were trying to get it to boot without activation. The Chinese aren't stupid. They might make things difficult or unsettling for people sometimes, but they know what they are doing lol

This is why I will just update my current switch and get a second one for offline cfw only. Then I can finally use my SX Pro lol

Reactions: MehMeh27

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
there are people out there who are willing to defend shitty practices.
You mean like defence lawyers who get paid to try and get murderers and rapists acquitted?

a) Welcome to the real world

b) Let's get some perspective here, we're talking about something that allows a few people to play console games for free. Some of you are getting disproportionately outraged.

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
Yeah I hope they remove it eventually. I would be really mad if my switch bricks because a homebrew app triggers the drm by accident.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
You mean like defence lawyers who get paid to try and get murderers and rapists acquitted?

b) Let's get some perspective here, we're talking about something that allows a few people to play console games for free. Some of you are getting disproportionately outraged.
They read "brick code" and have PTSD of the Gateway days when only a small percentage of people were unintentionally bricked due to how poor their code was written. Not defending TX here, but the chances of an accidental brick are next to none. People need to chill out and find something more productive to do.

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I hope they remove it eventually. I would be really mad if my switch bricks because a homebrew app triggers the drm by accident.
Just dont download anything labeled "[WIP] SX Cracker" :rofl2:
Jokes aside, I doubt they will remove it. They did say that it takes a lot to even get to that point.

Reactions: cearp

Localhorst86

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
They put in brick code so people wouldn't steal their work. I know a lot of people were happy to hear that devs were working on RE it but I don't really see any issue in protecting code like that
The issue is that it is code that will *intenionally* destroy property render property useless. It could get triggered by a bug and destroy property render property useless of a legitmate user.

If you are really confident in your code/DRM, you don't need that protection.
If you need that protection, you're not confident in your code/DRM. How could I be confident that your "protection" doesn't trigger on accident if you yourself are not confident in your code?

If they are so confident on their protection being perfect, they don't need to destroy your device. Just troll the illegitimate users with random crashes or simply make your code refuse to boot in the first place.

Last edited by Localhorst86,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The issue is that it is code that will *intenionally* destroy property. It could get triggered by a bug and destroy property of a legitmate user.

If you need that protection, you're not confident in your code/DRM. How could I be confident that your "protection" doesn't trigger on accident if you yourself are not confident in your code?

If they are so confident on their protection being perfect, they don't need to destroy your device. Just troll the illegitimate users with random crashes or simply make your code refuse to boot in the first place.
They don't destroy it... Please read what the "brick" is and what it ACTUALLY DOES. Thanks

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The issue is that it is code that will *intenionally* destroy property. It could get triggered by a bug and destroy property of a legitmate user.

destroy your device? it locks out your nand with a password. rofl

Reactions: Kioku

Localhorst86

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
They don't destroy it... Please read what the "brick" is and what it ACTUALLY DOES. Thanks
destroy your device? it locks out your nand with a password. rofl

then please elaborate on what it does then? Will it show a screen "We have detected unlicensed use"? Does it show contact information on how to get the issue resolved? What do you do when the contact doesn't respond (or no longer exists)?

Reactions: TheDarkGreninja

sychotix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it was rumoured with proof that gateway and them xcecuter is the same people

Rumored, yes. Valid, not that we know of. The "proof" that you are talking about is just that the same rom was discovered in the files. This is thought to be a reference to gateway and not an indication that they are the same people. Think about it... why else would they include the identical rom?

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

They just lock the emmc with a random password, and they said that the boot.dat would have to be modified heavily and repacked. I find no issue with it tbh. I understand some might feel uneasy, but as long as you don't just run random homebrew or things from the RCM along with it I think everyone would be fine.

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Good job taking my post out of context.

"You mean like defence lawyers who get paid to try and get murderers and rapists acquitted?"
What are you even talking about?
They are not the same at all, murder is not a shitty practice, it's a crime.
Let's also not ignore that legally a murderer needs a defence just in case they are actually innocent and a defence lawyer is paid to defend a company/person, fanboys defend a company because they are emotionally attached to it. There is no question what TX is doing is illegal (and for the record I have no problem with that as long as they aren't trying to destroy people's tech like they are doing by bricking people's consoles)

Seriously though, I'm not even sure you read my post. I was talking about fanboys who'll defend a group tooth and nail even if what that group is doing is shitty, never anything legal.

"Welcome to the real world"

Ok? You really didn't do anything with this line and it comes off as more of an insult than anything else, which really doesn't help an argument.

"Let's get some perspective here, we're talking about something that allows a few people to play console games for free. Some of you are getting disproportionately outraged"

Where did you get "I hate piracy" from my post? My post was about how TX uses brick code and why they're shitty for doing so.

So to end my post, please read next time and don't cherry pick a bit out of a post to try and counter a non-existent point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong