BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My fingers always mess me up on the vertical keyboard. I feel like the keys are too close together.
So i was wondering if there is a keyboard set up like this:

Pretty much like the old candybar phones text input systems.
Ill basically take anything App store or Cydia app that will override the iphone's vertical keyboard so i can type with good old T9 and word prediction, but when i flip to the horizontal view, the long full QWERTY keyboard shows up.

Anything like this out there? i dont want a stand alone app that i have to separately text through or can only use to send emails...

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like there was some jailbroken thing at one point for iOS 2.x and below (Multitap which appears to be where your screenshot is from), and there are probably a few apps on the App Store that will let you type like that within the app, then copy and paste the text into whatever you're doing (3rd-party apps have no access to the built-in keyboard outside of their own app).

Nevertheless, no matter what, you're most likely only going to be able to get ABC typing (tap 2 once to get A, twice to get B, etc), not true T9. In other words, no dictionary and predictive typing. This is probably due to legal issues, where the people holding the patents on the T9 system license them out to various phone companies for money. Apple didn't buy the system, and since it's proprietary, nobody else can use it and put it in their App Store app, so you're kinda screwed.

That said, I haven't actually run a search on the App Store or Cydia for it, just a basic Google search, so you might get lucky. I merely suspect that you're not going to find what you're looking for.

EDIT: On second thought...

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, your post is extremely helpful.

DanTheManMS said:
It looks like there was some jailbroken thing at one point for iOS 2.x and below (Multitap which appears to be where your screenshot is from), and there are probably a few apps on the App Store that will let you type like that within the app, then copy and paste the text into whatever you're doing (3rd-party apps have no access to the built-in keyboard outside of their own app).

I found that out after i posted this. So that prompted me to start looking for jailbroken stuff. The problem there is that keyboards havent worked from cydia since 2.0 when we were able to do a flip and the a vertical and horizontal keyboard.

Nevertheless, no matter what, you're most likely only going to be able to get ABC typing (tap 2 once to get A, twice to get B, etc), not true T9.

Which is a pain cause ABC is personally slower for me than the vertical QWERTY board.

In other words, no dictionary and predictive typing. This is probably due to legal issues, where the people holding the patents on the T9 system license them out to various phone companies for money. Apple didn't buy the system, and since it's proprietary, nobody else can use it and put it in their App Store app, so you're kinda screwed.

EDIT: wait does this override my normal keyboard?
"Change your iOS devices keyboard style to the classic QWERTY (T9) for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad too using B9 SMS app, available for download."
The part that scares me into thinking its not is the "cut,copy,paste," and then weird green, it doesnt look like it can be used anywhere...

That said, I haven't actually run a search on the App Store or Cydia for it, just a basic Google search, so you might get lucky. I merely suspect that you're not going to find what you're looking for.

EDIT: On second thought...

I looked at the link you provided. It still looks like a secondary app that you can send email and texts from.
Thats a good start but personally i want a T9 pad when i hold the phone vertical and the normal QWERTY one when i flip to horizontal.
So it looks like we are definitely talking about a jailbroken app, cause 3rd parties dont have access to the standard keypad.
My next thought it to do a bit of research and find some custom keyboards that work with 4.0 and up. i have yet to find one.
Second i guess ill just have to cross my fingers and hope i can find a true T9 pad. but like you said, im guessing it aint gonna happen.

Which is why im ready to try to code one myself. I dont have any idea how hard it would be to make a num pad that uses a preset dictionary to determine what im typing...

EDIT : what about this?
http://iphoneroot.com/t9-for-iphone-cydia/
Is this old?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/qv96JYhfAuA?si=_PN4PTWfj5BWI9wk