Tegra RCM Closing When Injecting

ShawnMacTM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, I've side stepped the problem by moving everything I needed to do onto my laptop, but I cant find a single thread anywhere describing my particular problem, so I thought I'd drop it here anyways to see if anyone can help me get to the bottom of it. It seems unique and strange.

Disclaimer: Im pretty literate when it comes to computers and hacking devices etc. So while I wouldnt consider myself a pro/developer level smart, Im definitely not dumb about this sort of stuff.

So, to start with, this computer that is having the issue has worked in the past. I know that doesnt mean much, but I can say that I havent changed anything recently with respects to my Switch stuff on the PC that should be creating this problem.

Firstly, the cord Im using is a known good cord. A fact corroborated by it working on my laptop when working around using this PC.

Secondly, I've made sure the driver for Tegra is installed. I even went and uninstalled it in device manager and then reinstalled it. Further to this, I also repeated this process while also adding a PC reboot in between the deletion and reinstallation of the driver. There was never any issue detecting RCM device either. This was always green when it should be and red when it shouldnt be. No abnormalities there.

Thirdly, the Console is usually in dock mode, so power is not an issue.

What happens is that I put the console into RCM mode so that I could put a new firmware update on the SD card using Tegra Portable 2.6, and I plugged it into my PC using a USB C to A on a USB 3.0 port. The program detected the RCM Device just fine, and I selected the appropriate button in the tools section I believe its called, and tried to push the payload to open the SD card in a window on my PC. As soon as it pushed the payload, the color turned from green to orange, it listed that it had pushed the payload, and then the program closes.

This all happens in a smooth motion so to speak, as there were no hangs or freezes. It all just happens like dominoes and then I started trying to diagnose the problem.

There is no output log either. One is created in the Tegra folder, but it is empty when you open it.

Firstly I tried again cuz I thought I was just an idiot, and same result happened. I then decided to try and just send Fusee to boot up the console and try again later, but the same thing happened again. So rinse and repeat, I try to boot the console again and get the same result.

Now I google, and find a bunch of people complaining of freezing etc, but nothing specifically like my issue. Therefore I start trying to do the solutions that worked for the similar issues none the less, which included reinstalling the driver, rebooting the pc, trying different cords, different ports... you name it, I tried it.

I decided to throw it all onto my laptop and aside from having to download the proper fusee payload (Havent used the laptop for this in forever so my payloads were out of date was all), everything went super smoothly as it should have in the first place.

So anyone have any ideas why this would be happening? If you have any questions Id be happy to answer them!

Thanks for reading and thinking on it!

Chaosta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
idk whats going on with tegra but aside from the payload launching issue, you can use hekate's "usb tools" to mount your switchs sd card to pc for file transfers without removing the sd card.

Reactions: Takokeshi

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was having a very similar problem a few days ago. It was my USB ports. My front PC USB-C port wouldn't work, but my monitor USB ports would work. It'd turn green to orange, and hang.

ShawnMacTM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was having a very similar problem a few days ago. It was my USB ports. My front PC USB-C port wouldn't work, but my monitor USB ports would work. It'd turn green to orange, and hang.
that sounds similar except mine wouldnt hang, it would just close as soon as it went to orange from green.

I did try a different port as well as cord, but I suppose I didnt try all the different ports. Ill try this and see if it changes anything and report back though!

Thanks for the thoughts and insight dude!

ShawnMacTM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
idk whats going on with tegra but aside from the payload launching issue, you can use hekate's "usb tools" to mount your switchs sd card to pc for file transfers without removing the sd card.
You mean while the switch is running?

I dont believe I have Hekate anymore since it was seperated from Atmosphere though, although Im a little fuzzy on that part. I seem to remember them splitting somehow and you had to choose one or the other, and I feel that I opted to go the Atmosphere route lol

Chaosta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean while the switch is running?

I dont believe I have Hekate anymore since it was seperated from Atmosphere though, although Im a little fuzzy on that part. I seem to remember them splitting somehow and you had to choose one or the other, and I feel that I opted to go the Atmosphere route lol
yea, boot into hekate, go to tools, usb tools then turn it on with switch connected to pc. then switch will pop up on "my computer" just as if you mounted the sd,

can download hekate from here, inject hekate payload, or use fastcfwswitch/deepsea toolbox to boot into hekate from atmosphere.

and nah, hekate is just a bootloader, not a cfw, its always been separate from atmosphere just bc different developers. If you ever saw it together you must of used a repack.

ShawnMacTM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yea, boot into hekate, go to tools, usb tools then turn it on with switch connected to pc. then switch will pop up on "my computer" just as if you mounted the sd,

can download hekate from here, inject hekate payload, or use fastcfwswitch/deepsea toolbox to boot into hekate from atmosphere.

and nah, hekate is just a bootloader, not a cfw, its always been separate from atmosphere just bc different developers. If you ever saw it together you must of used a repack.
I used to use it to boot into atmosphere, so that makes sense. What Im seeing as a split, Im now remembering that it was simply that Hekate couldnt be used to do that anymore. Again, I have a laptop that is able to push all my payloads, so I had no issue completing the task I had originally set out to do.

What Im trying to get to the bottom of now, is why Tegra was simply closing without hanging or freezing, right when I inject a payload *shrug* lol

Thanks for your idea though dude, sorry I didnt catch on at first lmao

kalleballik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
So, I've side stepped the problem by moving everything I needed to do onto my laptop, but I cant find a single thread anywhere describing my particular problem, so I thought I'd drop it here anyways to see if anyone can help me get to the bottom of it. It seems unique and strange.

Disclaimer: Im pretty literate when it comes to computers and hacking devices etc. So while I wouldnt consider myself a pro/developer level smart, Im definitely not dumb about this sort of stuff.

So, to start with, this computer that is having the issue has worked in the past. I know that doesnt mean much, but I can say that I havent changed anything recently with respects to my Switch stuff on the PC that should be creating this problem.

Firstly, the cord Im using is a known good cord. A fact corroborated by it working on my laptop when working around using this PC.

Secondly, I've made sure the driver for Tegra is installed. I even went and uninstalled it in device manager and then reinstalled it. Further to this, I also repeated this process while also adding a PC reboot in between the deletion and reinstallation of the driver. There was never any issue detecting RCM device either. This was always green when it should be and red when it shouldnt be. No abnormalities there.

Thirdly, the Console is usually in dock mode, so power is not an issue.

What happens is that I put the console into RCM mode so that I could put a new firmware update on the SD card using Tegra Portable 2.6, and I plugged it into my PC using a USB C to A on a USB 3.0 port. The program detected the RCM Device just fine, and I selected the appropriate button in the tools section I believe its called, and tried to push the payload to open the SD card in a window on my PC. As soon as it pushed the payload, the color turned from green to orange, it listed that it had pushed the payload, and then the program closes.

This all happens in a smooth motion so to speak, as there were no hangs or freezes. It all just happens like dominoes and then I started trying to diagnose the problem.

There is no output log either. One is created in the Tegra folder, but it is empty when you open it.

Firstly I tried again cuz I thought I was just an idiot, and same result happened. I then decided to try and just send Fusee to boot up the console and try again later, but the same thing happened again. So rinse and repeat, I try to boot the console again and get the same result.

Now I google, and find a bunch of people complaining of freezing etc, but nothing specifically like my issue. Therefore I start trying to do the solutions that worked for the similar issues none the less, which included reinstalling the driver, rebooting the pc, trying different cords, different ports... you name it, I tried it.

I decided to throw it all onto my laptop and aside from having to download the proper fusee payload (Havent used the laptop for this in forever so my payloads were out of date was all), everything went super smoothly as it should have in the first place.

So anyone have any ideas why this would be happening? If you have any questions Id be happy to answer them!

Thanks for reading and thinking on it!
Very nice post! thanks!

DarknessPlay3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would start by checking the windows event viewer and see what's there. It's probably a crash/exception of some kind. Just a matter of "what".

Could be USB drivers, kernal fault, ect.

kikekaliko

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
What OS are you using?
My laptop has W11 if that's what you mean, same issue described here, detects RCM but as soon as I try to inject the payload Tegra RCM just closes. Tried different cables and all ports but same result.

My mom has another laptop with W8.1 and I'm able to inject the payloads from there but I don't want to have to rely on that.

DarknessPlay3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My laptop has W11 if that's what you mean, same issue described here, detects RCM but as soon as I try to inject the payload Tegra RCM just closes. Tried different cables and all ports but same result.

My mom has another laptop with W8.1 and I'm able to inject the payloads from there but I don't want to have to rely on that.
Being your using windows:
I would start by checking the windows event viewer and see what's there. It's probably a crash/exception of some kind. Just a matter of "what".

Could be USB drivers, kernal fault, ect.
It may be something simple like a windows update that W11 got that is causing issues as well. The event viewer can *hopefully* shed some light on what happens when this crash happens.

kikekaliko

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Being your using windows:

It may be something simple like a windows update that W11 got that is causing issues as well. The event viewer can *hopefully* shed some light on what happens when this crash happens.
Ok I was able to track the error code, it was 0xc0000005, searched for a solution on google and I found a thread here at gbatemp (can't post the link but you will find it if you search for the error code).

One guy suggested to use 1.0.1 version of Tegra RCM, I did it and I was finally able to inject the payload from my laptop, hope this helps to anyone who needs it.

Reactions: DarknessPlay3r

DarknessPlay3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok I was able to track the error code, it was 0xc0000005, searched for a solution on google and I found a thread here at gbatemp (can't post the link but you will find it if you search for the error code).

One guy suggested to use 1.0.1 version of Tegra RCM, I did it and I was finally able to inject the payload from my laptop, hope this helps to anyone who needs it.
So I would suggest you try this:

-Press the Windows key and X at the same time.
-Choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the context menu.
-In the command prompt, type sfc /scannow and hit Enter.
-Exit command prompt.
-Restart the PC.

If SFC comes up with out errors then something else is going on, possibly antivirus, bad RAM, ect. However if SFC (system file check) does have errors then that's probably why it's crashing as it's calling for something that is corrupted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbSORc_3_Yw