Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pSX? Bleem!? Whoa... :wtf:

Not sure if blast from the past or stone age... switch to ePSXe, using anything else in this day and age is redundant. pSX hasn't been updated since 2008 and Bleem! was an early emulator and understandably had "issues" with just about anything.
I also used CVGS which required retail PS1 discs to play but it ran like a dream even on the crappiest of systems

stefer

Trophies
Website
stefer.weebly.com
XP
Country
Canada
They're all devices specifically dedicated to gaming so I don't see why we should think of them any less just because they're running Android - PlayStation 3, 4 and the PSVita run custom versions of FreeBSD but we're not calling them PC's, are we (except the handful of people who don't grasp the idea of what a console is)?

Then my other point stands : compare to Gamestick and all those other consoles then!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Please, don't remind me.
I don't think there's anything wrong with that, really. Microconsoles and "family consoles" like the Wii are gateway systems - they introduce people who normally wouldn't play games into the world of gaming, I think they're a positive thing, although saturation with systems that do the exact same thing and support the same software is a concern.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's the main thing I'm worried about.
*Shrug* more competition leads to an arms race to provide better support, better features and in the long run better microconsoles. Before mainstream solutions like the OUYA popped up the Android gaming devices market was dominated by chinese crap like the JXD's, now we see more "genuine" attempts at providing a proper gaming experience on Android and I'm going to treat that trend as a positive thing. At the end of the day all it means is that users have a choice - the systems are cross-compatible, whatever you pick will play the same games anyways, for better or worse, aside from some exclusives.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's for an all-in-one ideal system, not having multiples around.
It's still not cost-effective. I don't think there's a whole lot of people who would pay $1000 extra just to have two systems in one. I don't think there's a lot of people who'd pay $1000 for a system in general, and the PS3 proved that.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
It's still not cost-effective. I don't think there's a whole lot of people who would pay $1000 extra just to have two systems in one. I don't think there's a lot of people who'd pay $1000 for a system in general, and the PS3 proved that.

The amount of posts you have is what some people are willing to pay (or even more) for a limited or rare game/console in the market, so while it may be small it's still a lot of money.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The amount of posts you have is what some people are willing to pay (or even more) for a limited or rare game/console in the market, so while it may be small it's still a lot of money.
Uhm... No.

When you sell a $399 system to 8 million people, you $3.192.000.000 out of which 80% will probably cover your own expenses. When you sell a $16.000 system to a 100 people, you get $16.000.00 and end up losing millions on R&D alone. I don't understand how this is an alien concept, we've literally been through this with the early run of the PS3 that cost an arm and a leg, nobody wanted it and it put the PlayStation division to the brink of bankrupcy.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ePSXe never worked for me. at all. Up until finding pSX, the only emulator I found that actually worked and more than once was Bleem! and well... you couldn't even buy it anymore.

There was a pretty good one called Virtual Game Station out around the same time as bleem (and bleem honestly wasn't that good, never felt like more than an early beta). It didn't do anything fancy like bleem was attempting, with higher resolutions or whatever, just PSX games on PC (and Mac), but it worked really well, and had no problem playing any game I threw at it. But then Sony found a clever way to stop them after a lawsuit failed. They bought them out. And that was the end of that.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There was a pretty good one called Virtual Game Station out around the same time as bleem (and bleem honestly wasn't that good, never felt like more than an early beta). It didn't do anything fancy like bleem was attempting, with higher resolutions or whatever, just PSX games on PC (and Mac), but it worked really well, and had no problem playing any game I threw at it. But then Sony found a clever way to stop them after a lawsuit failed. They bought them out. And that was the end of that.
I remember VGS, it was pretty good. As for stopping Bleem!, Sony indeed lost the lawsuit against them, but the legal fees alone crunched the Bleem! team's budget pretty substantially so they closed doors. They do work for Sony now though, this much is correct. ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: MoM, I don't have to do homework, anymore :D:blush::D