thaddius' Console Roast 2014 Edition - Round 16 - FINAL

FINAL ROUND! What is GBATemp's least favourite gaming device?

• The Tiger R-Zone

Votes: 216 48.4%
  • The Phillips CD-i

Votes: 230 51.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
My cynical opinion? A lot of butt-hurt Zelda fanboys voting on it because of the terrible zelda games that Nintendo has since spent the rest of its time ret-conning out of canon.

While they'll happily defend the Virtual Boy that could literally cause eye damage because OMG RED LASERS INTO MY RETINAS!
If it helps your faith in humanity, I'm a serious Zelda fanboy, and I voted for R-Zone. :P

Reactions: matpower

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I still can't believe the CD-i is winning this. Again: I understand how it's a shitty console and (after watching some youtube) those Zelda-clones are much worse than the campy cutscènese lead you to believe. But still...did nobody ever play a Tiger game before? They were like game & watch games with blinking lights, except they were an entire generation late. And the R zone wasn't just a cheap knockoff of the virtual boy...it played THOSE SAME KIND OF GAMES. Which meant that it not only butchered just about every franchise they got a hold on (imagine Street fighter where your ONE AND ONLY character consists of a few lights hopping and pressing buttons), but that the games looked like this...

hqdefault.jpg

(I wish I was kidding. I really was :( )

Meanwhile...sure, the CD-i managed to take Mario and Zelda games from the very good end of the spectrum to very bad, but very bad is still better than the atrociousness of the previous. At least it was able to show images like this:

hotel_mario_screen10.jpg

I know playing hotel mario isn't as smooth as most platformers, but seriously...compare these pictures. Do you guys REALLY think this is even remotely comparable? Even when taking the handheld vs console into account, this is just nuts. And keep in mind that the R-zone was released 4 years later (1995 vs 1991 of the CD-i), so you can't blame anything on technology either.

The_Hulkster

Trophies
XP
Country
This is just horrendous!
The CD-i is only remembered by the bad games, while there were certainly very good ones as well.

Among other great platformers was The Apprentice.

Sure it's not a glamorous as most games from that era, but still it provided a fun enough gameplay to keep, at least me, entertained for hours if not days at a time.
It also contained nudity, can't say that for many "cartoon" games these days.

CD-i also offered a great port of Space Ace (Dragon's Lair series)

There were also some great shooters, one of which featured Terry "The Hulk" Hogan!

And let's not forget the "adult" games, which you can't find on any game system.

Most of the voters probably haven't even touched either of the consoles from the poll and are just voting based on inaccurate or incomplete information.
Sad.

Patxinco

Riding a Shooting Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Never used any of them, but after reading the comments: i agree that CD-i made Zelda and Mario want to die, but after reading this:
Only in glowing red on black. With terrible music. And with a headpiece that keeps slipping down your face unless you tighten the headband so much your brain starts leaking out your ears.

And you can only see the screen with one eye.

There's nothing more i couldn't ever think of worst console in my whole life; Tiger R-Zone, go to Hell and never come back!!!

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It was barely that. The only thing really comparable is the black and red and they couldn't even get that right.
_-Teleroboxer-Nintendo-Virtual-Boy-_.gif
That picture isn't from the R-zone: it is built up from pixels. My guess would be that it is from the virtual boy.

This would be a screenshot from the R-zone...except that it would need to be red and black instead of this color (screenshotting was apparently pretty hard, and it doesn't clearly show on youtube videos either):

image08.jpg

I played those Tiger games. This was a typical "terrible birthday present" in the nineties. Your parents don't see the difference, so they get you a cheap knock-off instead of the real thing (yes...the above is supposed to be mortal kombat). They were worse than the game & watch games from years earlier (especially in sound and build quality) and totally obsolete by the time the gameboy hit the market...if it wasn't for those uninformed parents who just bought the damn things.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
the tittle says: "least favourite" not "worst"
But the first post says:

Welcome back to thaddius’ Console Roast 2014 Edition. For those of you who are not aware this is a poll where you, the GBATemp user, get to vote on what GBATemp thinks is the worst console ever.
Conflicting information :ohnoes:

Instructions unclear, got my dick stuck in CD-i disc tray :unsure:

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Already I have encountered fanboys who felt that there was somehow something wrong with me for liking Nintendo systems but not the Zelda franchise. And that even after I demonstrated my many criticisms about the series, they still blindly defend it and instead accuse me of being at fault.

I swear, if the CD-i wins, all this will prove is that the franchise and shiggy needs to die. I've already got Iwata on my shit list because he kicked Reggie out of leadership for no reason, and has been running the company into the ground. Objectively the RZone is worse.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Already I have encountered fanboys who felt that there was somehow something wrong with me for liking Nintendo systems but not the Zelda franchise. And that even after I demonstrated my many criticisms about the series, they still blindly defend it and instead accuse me of being at fault.

I swear, if the CD-i wins, all this will prove is that the franchise and shiggy needs to die.

Good grief, if that's really the attitude you demonstrate about the series to other people, then of course they think something's wrong with you. There's nothing wrong with disliking the Zelda series, but blaming the outcome of a poll on it and thinking the series and its creator needs to die is just extreme.

I voted for the R-Zone, but I think it's pretty believable that people vote for the CD-i simply because it's more infamous than the R-Zone (those Zelda games probably helped that infamy, but that's besides the point), not just because they're butthurt Zelda fanboys.

Tl; dr: Quit whining and get over it. It's just an internet poll, after all. :rolleyes:

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah that could actually bring lawsuits
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tempsuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    PollySuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your correct, Somebody would be guilty and there would be riots, then they storm the gbatemp capitol,
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Online or not there are still certain rights that judges would have no issue handing out a warrant over
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just look at Kim dotcom
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Honestly I'm scared to, from you, but ok, lemme turn on vpn, virtual machine, private browser first
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Remember that Alexa robot I gifted you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    And that laptop Webcam you never tapped up
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That robot is here somewhere, I hear it moving around at night, but I haven't seen it for months.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh that laptop I give to ancientboi, so you been watching him for months, and he's been watching you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh good more than enough material for the fbi
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn its 5 in morn, I gotta Go wake your mum and send her to work. Check ya later.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    He could make so much money!!! His arm would never get tired lol
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    How are yall doing
    +2
  • VXNlcm5hbWU @ VXNlcm5hbWU:
    Just had a pure banger of a sandwich there, was very nice
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what do you call a dog with no legs?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    A hot dog?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    doesn't matter what you call it, it won't come
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I'm having mince beef burgers with flat cheese and tomato sauce.
    +1
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: