Arnold Schwarzen

OP
Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
The bigs news of the morning comes from a press-release from Nintendo stating that the 3DS will be dropping in price from $249.99 to $169.99. Yes, that's an $80 price drop. This comes just 4 months after launch, and a little under 2 months since Sony announced their Vita pricing. I'm sure you heard about the "ambassador program" which entails that people who purchase(d) their 3DS before August 11th, will be entitled to 10 free NES VC games and 10 free GBA VC games. While the NES games will be available to the general public later in the year, the GBA games won't be. I think it's a nice program that Nintendo set up and I'm sure looking forward to it. But the real question is, why the price drop?

"Yo Nintendo be frettin over dat new PSP" is probably the first comment on 90% of the articles reporting the price drop that you'll read today. But the fact of the matter is that, yes, Nintendo must've realized that despite their glasses-less 3D graphics, the Vita is a powerful system. And when you have the two systems put up next to each other at $249, there isn't much comparing. But at $169, we have another war of the handhelds. Another comment that you'll read on major articles is "this is the DS/PSP all over again." This remark could be true, but we won't really know until the Vita releases. Personally, I think I'll give the Vita a whirl eventually, since I'm a diehard Uncharted fan. But this will definitely be a fight to the death, especially with the games that Nintendo has lined up for this fall as well as early next year. Out of fanboy-ism, I would deem the Vita as "screwed" but the support that we've seen behind the system really makes me want to give it a chance. Especially with Sony bringing over some major names to the Vita boat. But we'll see what happens once it releases!

Oh and for the record, I think that the 20 games do justice to early adopters.... since I wasn't really expecting anything free when I purchased the system at launch.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well Arnold, I certainly see what you're saying about the flaming around here.

Yeah, the news is old. Which is probably why he didn't post it in the news section.
But it's new to him, and I have a feeling he would rather converse about the subject than to just be told "LOL, we know!"

If that's all you're going to add, just go elsewhere.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Vulpes Abnocto said:
Well Arnold, I certainly see what you're saying about the flaming around here.

Yeah, the news is old. Which is probably why he didn't post it in the news section.
But it's new to him, and I have a feeling he would rather converse about the subject than to just be told "LOL, we know!"

If that's all you're going to add, just go elsewhere.

Is there anything else to say?
I doubt it.

This is like 3-4 week old news. There's not much to comment on besides how old it is now.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
the price has already dropped...

available in australia now for $199 when last week it was $349
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat