Hardware The 3DS should be able to play Game Cube games.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
thanks for the necropost... *additional necropost* also, i get the feeling most games would end up unplayable for the lack of enough and comfortable buttons

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ryan90 said:
Why are Nintendo so focused on porting N64 games when they could be porting GC games, I say the hardware is there and they can do it and i even expect it considering how well the re-released gamecube games did on wii with play controls (pikmin 1&2, Donkey kong Jungle beat, RE0, Mario Power tennis etc)
The reason Nintendo are doing the N64 games is because they'll sell, simple as that, plus the only other N64 game they are porting is Starfox 64...you think they'll port Starfox GC when they have a good game to port? People are still begging for OoT for the DS so Nintendo probably thinks "hey this game could get us some hardware sales if we port it to 3DS plus it wont be pirated either for the time being". They'll probably do Majora's Mask next and then Wind Waker

The "New Play Control" series actually sold poorly which is why Nintendo hasn't bothered to do anymore plus I did read something about them not being pleased with how they were ported.

ryan90

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaydrian said:
The reason Nintendo are doing the N64 games is because they'll sell, simple as that, plus the only other N64 game they are porting is Starfox 64...you think they'll port Starfox GC when they have a good game to port? People are still begging for OoT for the DS so Nintendo probably thinks "hey this game could get us some hardware sales if we port it to 3DS plus it wont be pirated either for the time being". They'll probably do Majora's Mask next and then Wind Waker

The "New Play Control" series actually sold poorly which is why Nintendo hasn't bothered to do anymore plus I did read something about them not being pleased with how they were ported.

I was under the impression the play control series actually sold quite well, but surely you port a game because the game is good, not because of the console it was on, i definitely think Luigi's Mansion has to be done and possibly Mario Sunshine, I'm not asking for the moon just the stars.

On another note though i would be very happy to see Majoras Mask come to 3ds as i love that game, the problem with OOT is that i have been there and done it many times now, i don't know if the 3d is going to make it worth another play through.

EDIT:
I doubt they will port 3 different Zelda games to this thing, I'm sure the zelda portable game series will make a return and having 3 ported games plus 1-2 new games may be a bit overkill. So i imagine they will probably only port OOT and then make 1-2 portable style Zelda games with the small possibility of a Majoras mask port if OOT sells really well. I also think you will see zelda games on 3ds virtual console, i would love to see the gbc games ported/emulated in 3d hopefully Nintendo will use some kind of texture filter like 2xsai or hq2x on the older games and there are 3 gbc games to offer as well the gb port of links awakening, oracle of seasons and oracle of ages.

So thats at least 5 Zelda games lol

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
Even if the specs are good enough, it wouldn't make sense to nintendo for retail reasons. Why start on the GC when there are plenty of N64 games to make money out of. Unless they flop, then The big N will turn to GC if it's possible
The 3DS' successor will have GC Bc

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btyre said:
No it wouldn't, it'll have 3DS backwards compatibility.

The Gamecube is 10 years old next year, you really think Nintendo would bother making the next handheld that probably won't even be released for another 6 years have GC BC? It'll be like letting the 3DS have N64 BC. Even then they wont be using optical media at all, maybe they'll have it as part of a Virtual Console style thing but it won't let you play GC discs.

ryan90

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaydrian said:
btyre said:
No it wouldn't, it'll have 3DS backwards compatibility.

The Gamecube is 10 years old next year, you really think Nintendo would bother making the next handheld that probably won't even be released for another 6 years have GC BC? It'll be like letting the 3DS have N64 BC. Even then they wont be using optical media at all, maybe they'll have it as part of a Virtual Console style thing but it won't let you play GC discs.

It would never have backwards compatibility but much like the xbox360 can emulate the xbox the 3ds2 will probably be able to emulate the gamcube so Nintendo may well take advantage of it, that is if they havn't already ported all the Gamecube games like i asked!

QUOTE(Clydefrosch @ Nov 19 2010, 05:07 PM)
thanks for the necropost... *additional necropost* also, i get the feeling most games would end up unplayable for the lack of enough and comfortable buttons

Ahhh ok thats a good point, i don't know what games were ported from ps2 to psp, but does anyone know how they turned out?

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Let's say that the 3DS was able (due to technical statistics) be able to play gamecube games, there would still be some complications;

Here are the button layouts for the two systems:

Gamecube: 8 Buttons (A, B, X, Y, Start, L, R, Z) Two Control Sticks (Left Thumbstick and C-Stick) Control Pad.
3DS: 8 Buttons (A, B, X, Y, Start, Select, L, R) One Control Stick(more like a nub like the PSP) Control Pad, Touch Screen, Microphone, Camera.

Also if the 3DS "should be able to play Gamecube Games" then wouldn't you think the system would be able to support the Unreal Engine?

Also the power the 3DS uses is less than the wattage the Gamecube uses. Not to mention that the game cube could SMASH the 3DS in terms of weight and size.

I just completely disagree with the possibility of the 3DS being able to play min-dvd format games or images of said games.

ryan90

Trophies
XP
Country
DJ91990 said:
Let's say that the 3DS was able (due to technical statistics) be able to play gamecube games, there would still be some complications;

Here are the button layouts for the two systems:

Gamecube: 8 Buttons (A, B, X, Y, Start, L, R, Z) Two Control Sticks (Left Thumbstick and C-Stick) Control Pad.
3DS: 8 Buttons (A, B, X, Y, Start, Select, L, R) One Control Stick(more like a nub like the PSP) Control Pad, Touch Screen, Microphone, Camera.

Also if the 3DS "should be able to play Gamecube Games" then wouldn't you think the system would be able to support the Unreal Engine?

Also the power the 3DS uses is less than the wattage the Gamecube uses. Not to mention that the game cube could SMASH the 3DS in terms of weight and size.

I just completely disagree with the possibility of the 3DS being able to play min-dvd format games or images of said games.

First no-one is talking about playing the game straight of the Gamecube disc, we are talking about porting them which is completely possible and i already mentioned we weren't talking about emulation also you could port Unreal Engine to the 3ds easily, its the Unreal Engine 3 that can't be ported but the gamecube can't play unreal engine 3 either so im not really sure what your point was.

Consuming more power doesn't mean the device is more powerful, hand-held hardware has to be much more efficient and the gamecube is from 2001 so the technology is obviously going to become smaller and more efficient in the last decade and the size and weight of the gamecube wouldn't really be seen as a bonus on the 3ds.

Erdnaxela

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Law said:
Erdnaxela said:
fedgerama said:
EDIT: also, what games were ported to DS from PS2? just curious.
Disgaea.

It wasn't really a port though, they pretty much re-made it.

edit: and it was a port of the PSP version, not the PS2 version.
Ninja edit
wink.gif

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
I used BC for the lack of a better term. I meant in a virtual console type way.
That's what I thought this topic was about.
GC VC. But BC!
Since when did the 3DS Have an optical drive,
*opens up Photoshop*

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
Erdnaxela said:
fedgerama said:
EDIT: also, what games were ported to DS from PS2? just curious.
Disgaea.

It wasn't really a straight port though, they pretty much re-made it to work with the DS.

edit: and it was a port of the PSP version, not the PS2 version.

-cough-thepspversionwasadirectportoftheps2game-cough-

That said... I never got around to trying disgaea for DS what with having played the game on two other systems at that point... but I do imagine, without having seen the game run, they at the very least had to completely redo some graphics (especially the menu ones). The original Disgaea was planned for PS1 and the graphics most definitely look it (blurry textures up the whazzoo) so it's not hard to imagine porting over a game like that to DS~

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :tpi::rofl2::tpi: