Would it ever be possible to run modern-day RPG Maker games on the 3DS in the future, once people figure out how to get it to work?

Is the ability to play RPG Maker games beyond 2000/2003 possible?

• Total voters

LordTwibill

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a legitimate question that I have, but as somebody who's enjoying a whole sluice of EasyRPG games to play on the 3DS right now, it makes me wonder if it's even possible to create an app that can forward RPG Maker games to your 3DS and you can play them that way. It would be a lovely idea if it's at all possible, but given the 3DS's infrastructure is literally as old as my nephew, I genuinely am curious how such a thing would even be possible. I mean, I'd love it if it turns out it can be done, especially as that'd mean that I'd be able to play some of my favorite RPG Maker games on the system (especially when, being entirely practical, the 3DS can run games that are far more graphically demanding than almost all RPG Maker games so the question becomes "how do we make this work for the system's infrastructure").

What do you think? Do you think it's at all possible?

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe you could, but it would still be such a pain, as compared to running it on a PC, screen size and mouse controls esp.

LordTwibill

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe you could, but it would still be such a pain, as compared to running it on a PC, screen size and mouse controls esp.
Yeah, I thought so, but it'd be really cool if such a thing was possible. Being able to play RPG Maker games on the go would be the best thing, though I can totally get why such a thing would be easier said than done.

Reactions: BigOnYa

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I thought so, but it'd be really cool if such a thing was possible. Being able to play RPG Maker games on the go would be the best thing, though I can totally get why such a thing would be easier said than done.
Super Mario Maker is still fun on 3DS tho.

LordTwibill

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know RPG Maker FES is a thing, right?

You can also emulate the old SFC version of RPG Maker, and probably even the Playstation version.

You can say that about a lot of things.
I'd try RPG Maker FES, but there isn't any games to download from what I've checked, unless I'm mistaken.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd try RPG Maker FES, but there isn't any games to download from what I've checked, unless I'm mistaken.
The official server already shut down last year. I presume there might still be enthusiasts out there providing their games for installation via CFW (i.e. Checkpoint), but I wouldn't know where those enthusiasts hang out.

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
This is a legitimate question that I have, but as somebody who's enjoying a whole sluice of EasyRPG games to play on the 3DS right now, it makes me wonder if it's even possible to create an app that can forward RPG Maker games to your 3DS and you can play them that way. It would be a lovely idea if it's at all possible, but given the 3DS's infrastructure is literally as old as my nephew, I genuinely am curious how such a thing would even be possible. I mean, I'd love it if it turns out it can be done, especially as that'd mean that I'd be able to play some of my favorite RPG Maker games on the system (especially when, being entirely practical, the 3DS can run games that are far more graphically demanding than almost all RPG Maker games so the question becomes "how do we make this work for the system's infrastructure").

What do you think? Do you think it's at all possible?
There is an app called Neko RPGXP Player for android, which I've used in the past. That said, since many games use different engines and such, not all games would be compatible or would run slower. Now, it would take a lot of effort to do that. Would it be possible? yeah. Would it take time? no doubt, and with things like the Steam deck-like consoles becoming more and more available these days, there wouldn't be much interest other than "Yeah I wanna do it".

As for the case of resolution, at least RMXP outputs 640x480 and the O3DS has a 400x240 display, so that's a first challenge.

Reactions: BigOnYa

LordTwibill

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is an app called Neko RPGXP Player for android, which I've used in the past. That said, since many games use different engines and such, not all games would be compatible or would run slower. Now, it would take a lot of effort to do that. Would it be possible? yeah. Would it take time? no doubt, and with things like the Steam deck-like consoles becoming more and more available these days, there wouldn't be much interest other than "Yeah I wanna do it".

As for the case of resolution, at least RMXP outputs 640x480 and the O3DS has a 400x240 display, so that's a first challenge.
Totally fair. I just think the 3DS is an exceptional console and I think the very idea of its existence is really cool overall, especially as it's the best way to play 3DS games IMHO (due to authenticity; I get Citra exists, but nothing beats what the 3DS can do IMHO). But it's alright if it's not really possible; RPG Maker 2003 and 2000 already opens up thousands of games to be played on the system, so that's already a net plus to begin with.

Reactions: Necron and BigOnYa

Coderman64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe EasyRPG player has been ported to the 3DS, which can play RPGM 2003 and 2000 games, IIRC. You can find it at EasyRPG dot org (I'd post a link, but I don't have the required rank yet).

Edit: sorry I didn't see the "beyond 2000/2003" part. It might be possible, but it would require some doing.

Last edited by Coderman64,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The only CoD game I played that I truly enjoyed was Black Ops 1, and only the single player...