Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Panzer Tacticer said:
Now explain to me again, why is it we need the Nintendo 3DS with it's puny screens?
For the Nintendo-only franchises. Strange as it may seem some people choose their handhelds based on the games available for it, not just spec/controls etc.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is a just a specialized notebook, not a handheld device.
I can't even imagine playing DotA on that with a key layout as shown. Anyone who does use this is sure to cause their team to lose. However, I do see how something like this can be very useful for those who play MMOs, where there are tons of buttons and hotkeys.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
IMHO, an Atom will not run most of the games out there. Especially if it just relies on the internal Intel HD graphics. So that renders the entire point of a "gaming" PC moot.

Next point. That screen is TINY. If you're playing an FPS, an RTS or whatever, the tiny resolution will hinder most of your reactivity.

Last point, for that much money, if you're a SERIOUS gamer with a good income, you'd be better in building a full-blown gaming PC.

PSP2 and 3DS will be handhelds. Games which don't require you to sit somewhere to use keys. You can just have the thing in your hands floating, and you should be fine. Exception might be some of the touch-screen heavy games. This thing is NOT an handheld.

It's just a custom-built netbook which toutes "AWESOME GAMING FEATURES!!!1one".
This won't kill a single thing, be it netbooks, gaming PCs or handhelds.

Other than that, you can say that it's an interesting concept.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Concept: Impressive.

Execution: A bunch of fail.

I don't see how this can beat a desktop AND a handheld. This thing is stuck somewhere in limbo.

ykhan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i only have this to say...HYPER SPACE BUTTON!
hrth.gif

Fireballo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It all comes down to price. For me this thing would never be worth more than about $250. Any more than that they can keep the thing. It's specked with cheap ass netbook components. Just buy a small $180 netbook and play some games on it.

G

GentleFist

i really like razer but thats just a cool looking netbook...

it cant really replace psp or nds since its not an handheld

you have to be able to play on it with your two thumbs and hold it with one hand

well and yea you cant really play any games on it since all pc games need really high specs~

will not be successful razer isnt all that popular either i guess if the same thing was from apple they would make profit xD

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"Quite honestly, is there even a real need to play PC games on-the-go?"

I could ask the same question, of why settle for a Nintendo DS when you can play a Wii. Is there even a real need for a Nintendo DS?

Oh and guys, stop getting wrapped in the idea that unless it is specifically typed Nintendo 3DS it means an earlier model. I call every last hand held ever made wearing the name Nintendo DS a Nintendo DS, that includes the Phat one too.

While we are at it, I don't think being able to play it standing held in one hand is magically special nor is the specific term 'hand held' vital.
All that really matters is it can be picked up and you walk out of the home and can play it under a tree, on a train, or in school or at the office.
'Portable' is the only term with serious relevance.

Since I made the OP I have actually been encountering other quasi gaming capable doodads some more about non gaming than gaming and some more likely to look like pocket mini computers.

Some looking like they will cost a tidy sum and some priced quite nice.

To some extent, why choose a laptop wannabe is a valid comment when a laptop is potentially just as doable.
This laptop cost me 400 bucks and will play all your shooters RTS games and WoW as well as all my old dull wargames. It plays Civ V and that says plenty actually.
But laptops are not designed to game, they are just pick it up and go anywhere computers. And as such, they don't take to kindly to being treated too roughly.

I think that might answer 'why would someone want the Razer Switchblade?'. Maybe if it was more capable of dealing with all that mobility. Because while I CAN take my laptop anywhere, I tend to spend more effort ensuring it doesn't get knocked around. It's not indestructible. Not that my Nintendo DS is indestructible either. My son wrecked his by a simple drop.

As for game specs, I think that is a lack of real experience talking.
Or possibly its a matter of thinking a game is non viable unless played on highest specs possible.
Not everyone needs to play with all the bells and whistles enabled.
I rather like Civ V and I play it on low setting for everything.

I had a friend mention to me a product, due out this year (no not a 'concept' it is merely not out NOW sort of like the 3DS).
It will essentially be a rip off of the iPad ie look just like it, just not come with the usual Apple price tag.
It will run Windows 7 mobile.
Wish I could recall the damn name.
Either way, the point is, the Razer Switchblade is not necessarily some sort of fantasy 'concept' only being thought of and mused about. And it is not alone either.

Not all of us want 'just a game toy' that offers nothing else. Not all of us want just a mini computer that can't play games (which is all the Pandora is in my view).
Me, I want the capacity to play PC games, use it for small minor computer tasks, and not be forced to be unduly worried that carting it all over the place is harmful to the item itself.
I can carry my laptop anywhere, but I might not always wish to do so.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
WiFi may become less important if 4G can achieve half it's potential specs, which is supposed to be 100Mb-1Gbps, depending how "mobile" you are (i.e. if you're in a car/train, you'll get the lower speed than if you're just walking in the streets). That'd do quite nicely for a handheld gaming machine.

I know, why not create a new thread titled "Death of phoneline-based broadband"? Or even "Death of wired telecommunications".

zizer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Originality said:
WiFi may become less important if 4G can achieve half it's potential specs, which is supposed to be 100Mb-1Gbps, depending how "mobile" you are (i.e. if you're in a car/train, you'll get the lower speed than if you're just walking in the streets). That'd do quite nicely for a handheld gaming machine.

I know, why not create a new thread titled "Death of phoneline-based broadband"? Or even "Death of wired telecommunications".

until they build transmitters covering the whole territory, I think in five years it will be possible to open a new discussion

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The transmitters are already there - 3G networks are available in most areas. 4G is supposed to use 3G for the shandshake and an adapted form of MIMO WiFi for the actual data transfer. It's an interesting concept, and I read somewhere that the only thing holding it back is handling the smooth transfer between networks/transmitters.

Upgrading all those transmitters for 4G use shouldn't take 5 years (and besides, it's already in use in certain areas for testing).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Welp