OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I was searching on Dtoid when I find this on MyLittleHero´s blog:

MyLittleHero said:
Games are the definition of harmless fun, but ever since the "games are art" discussion, it seems every game has to have some level of emotion or story telling.

In honor of Mario's 25th anniversary a video was posted on 1up. I will now present you with the disturbing comment that inspired me to write this blog post:

71039-183843-assspng-620x.jpg

I don't know about you, but this scares me. I'm 22 and remember the day's when this discussion didn't exist. Games are heading into the same direction films are. Everyone knows what I'm talking about. The pretentious film goer that mocks anything that's mainstream, but lack the intellect to enjoy both. It's not hard to enjoy a French film like The 400 Blows and an American action movie like Iron Man. The same goes with games. I love the harmless fun of Mario, but also enjoy the subtlety of Shadow Of The Colossus.

71039-183843-supermarioworldjpg-620x.jpg

Please, let's not forget the reason we started to play games. It's not a popularity contest nor is it a badge of honor in enjoying some obscure indie title. Enjoy games for what they are: fun! This new breed of elitist gamers bring douche chills down my spine, and it needs to stop now! Let's unite and overthrown them! Let's start by throwing a fireball to the stupid twist in Heavy Rain. Let's uppercut the screen-saver disguise as a game that calls it self flOw. Let's have the demonic beast know as Kirby suck up the pretentiousness of The Path and transform it to something meaningful. Let's also have that same beast copy the success of Braid and Mario while simultaneously creating something new. Elitism has always been there, but there is no denying that the elitist gamer is more present now then ever.

What incredible true
yay.gif

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I prefer games with good stories most of the times, but I definitely don't agree all games should have one, or a good one.
Games with good stories are all good and fun, but it's always nice to kick back and just enjoy some epic gameplay from time to time.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Sheesh. As if every single game in the world has to tell an epic story. Isn't the simplicity and sheer delight of the gameplay what keeps bringing us back to the Mario franchise?

MyLittleHero is, indeed, my hero.
smile.gif

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
geoflcl said:
Sheesh. As if every single game in the world has to tell an epic story. Isn't the simplicity and sheer delight of the gameplay what keeps bringing us back to the Mario franchise?

MyLittleHero is, indeed, my hero.
smile.gif
Yes, I remember when it was "Save the Princess!", not "OMFG THE PLANETS OH SHIT PLOT TWST WTF NEW CHARACTERS".

Sigh...
closedeyes.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Damn I saw mention of elite* I here I come expecting a rant about how elite was awesome and people do not give it half the credit it deserves.
*link of choice this evening: http://nic.dnsalias.com/FFE.html

Still there was a time this debate did not exist? If so I have no knowledge of it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: +1