OP
Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
NOKIA's EXPERIMENTAL DAY with the Snow and Ice

QUOTE said:
So we’ve seen how Nokia can turn any screen into a touch screen. What about something that’s not even a screen to begin with – what about a block of ice? That’s exactly what’s been occurring in Tampere, Finland at Nokia’s Research Lab.

Check it out in the video from New Scientist (cheers dsmobile for the heads up!)

“This was a playful experiment, but one that we think showed interactive computing interfaces can now be built anywhere,” Jyri Huopaniemi, Nokia.

How does it work?

Like Microsoft surface, this uses a technique called rear-diffused illumination. Infra-red light (or pretty much) is beamed behind the ice screen and placing a hand in front of the ice reflects that light back towards a camera which in turn helps a computer to calculate the hand position and thus direct a projected image near the hand.

MyNokiaBlog via newscientis

Im now excited on the IRON MAN touchscreen tech. It's becoming of a reality. Remember IRON MAN 2 where Tony used his coffee table to search for the detiails of the Latin Spy girl? WOW!!

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Nah, the part in Iron Man 2 that was the coolest was when he hacked the display in the courtroom with his phone, and showed all the utter failerures of his rivals to make an Iron Man suit.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
that's nice and all but too bad ice melts now show me the same tech or even better a touch screen display or program working on a piece of vertical transparent glass. Or even better floating in mid air like iron man than i'll be excited
tongue.gif

Chris_Skylock

OP
Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
hacking using a phone is still LIGHTYEARS away. anything that is flat touchscreen is just around the corner. Over-the-Air touchscreen is being researched by some company who also brought to you by the ANY-TV-CAN-BE-A-TOUCHSREEN team that is coming on the Nokia N8 (or any HD recoding Nokia). Though I would love to hack someone's presentation using my phone via bluetooth or WiFi Direct.

Speaking of WiFi Direct, does it inspired the IRON MAN 2 movie? I mean WiFi Direct uses the same technology as Bluetooth only it has the same Fidelity as WiFi.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Awesome shit of course, these kind of things really amaze and make me wonder how the world will look like in 20 years. I love the fact that technology really can change your life so much
smile.gif

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
btyre said:
There are plenty of things that can do that sort of thing with a webcam or a wiimote.

also, projector + wiimote + IR-leds(on pencils for example) = multitouch touch screen
smile.gif

But this is probably a bit more advanced and/or precise.

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
This is actually similar tech to Kinect. No mentionnon how they put an image there though.
Issac: I was just trying to say that this isn't new tech, it's just an advancement of old tech

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
btyre said:
This is actually similar tech to Kinect. No mentionnon how they put an image there though.
Issac: I was just trying to say that this isn't new tech, it's just an advancement of old tech

Yes, i know
smile.gif
And I was only adding to your statement that multi-touch can be achieved even
smile.gif

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Chris_Skylock said:
hacking using a phone is still LIGHTYEARS away.
don't be so sure.
may not be as comfortable, but pretty much any kind of hacking that can be done with a PC running linux can be done with some phones too.

Chris_Skylock

OP
Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
thedicemaster said:
Chris_Skylock said:
hacking using a phone is still LIGHTYEARS away.
don't be so sure.
may not be as comfortable, but pretty much any kind of hacking that can be done with a PC running linux can be done with some phones too.

ok. so I need to learn a few more tricks. We still need some techs on wireless that can be as close as Tony's ANYTHING-CAN-CONNECT-TO gadget

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
that's nice and all but too bad ice melts now show me the same tech or even better a touch screen display or program working on a piece of vertical transparent glass. Or even better floating in mid air like iron man than i'll be excited
tongue.gif
Well thats why it has to be in a cold country
tongue.gif

/sarcasm

This actually looks really cool.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
BortzANATOR said:
Bladexdsl said:
tongue.gif
Well thats why it has to be in a cold country
tongue.gif

/sarcasm

This actually looks really cool.
While you're at it...

/pun
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    That's uh-
    That's certainly a Dairy Queen sign lmao
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should see his help wanted signs
    Ugh, so many sweat-dipwads in Sploon 3 Anarchy mode tonight
    I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month, good god
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of "confirming" games you know will get released. Like Nintendo "confirming" a Zelda sequel. "We can't be sure Nintendo is working on a new Zelda game, or if a new Zelda game will ever be released, until they officially confirm it."
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "There is literally no way to know if they will ever release a new Zelda game, it's wild speculation until they officially confirm it."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black ops was the lesser shitter line in cock a poopoo tbf just a way to let people know it hasn't died or going a different route I guess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $70 DLC per 6 months is what it turned into
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/R28ZSY2Sc2A?si=H5Lb6PNkzMhAHO_P