Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
OP
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
I realized today that many Tempers probably don't have GBAtemp as their homepage. So I threw together a simple (and as small as possible) sidebar website, that can open all subforums in a new tab, and the Shoutbox (100 posts plus limitation). It's made exclusively for GBAtemp, and I'm by no means going to take credit for it (I used Mobile GBAtemp as a template, even
biggrin.gif
). Sadly, because of the limitations imposed by Google Chrome, it will only work for FireFox users.

It's very easy to set this up and get it running:

See this silhouette of our Temp Mascot? He's so ace that you're dragging him onto the Bookmarks Toolbar.
HOLD IT! Not quite done yet.
See that it says GBAtemp Sidebar there, now?
Go ahead and right click it, slide down to Properties, and check the box that says "Load this bookmark in the sidebar"
Hit Save

Keep classy, tempers,

Ace Faith

Versions:

---------------------
Version 1:
Latest version mirror #1 (Thank you, iFish!): Broken
Changes:

Mazor's Überawesome version: Dead link
---------------------
7/02/11: Original version written.
8/02/11: Mazor's version added to post. It includes latest posts, updated in realtime (I think...)
9/02/11: Mazor's version updated. Chrome extension (coming up in a bit, I hope tomorrow?), Ask GBAtemp/EOF/News/Blogs realtime feed added, general clean-up.

Other Browsers?
---------------------
For Opera:
Cuelhu said:
Just open the link in a new tab and grab the tab to the panel (side) bar.
For Konqueror: QUOTE(monkat @ Feb 9 2011, 06:16 PM) Just drag + drop the icon onto the sidebar.

Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ace Faith said:
-GBATemp's Picture Upload service
-Ask GBAtemp
-FileTrip
-IRC
Added these as you may have noticed (Ask GBAtemp is below Latest posts and updated in the same way every few seconds).

Also shortened the navigation link names and underlined them.

Personally I think a smaller logo at the top would be better, as I see it optimally a bar. Anyone good with graphics around here?

Also, I made a small chrome extension. Doesn't seem like it can be made in a good way, but I will post it if it gets usable.

Ace

OP
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Mazor said:
Added these as you may have noticed (Ask GBAtemp is below Latest posts and updated in the same way every few seconds).

Also shortened the navigation link names and underlined them.

Personally I think a smaller logo at the top would be better, as I see it optimally a bar. Anyone good with graphics around here?

Also, I made a small chrome extension. Doesn't seem like it can be made in a good way, but I will post it if it gets usable.
Did I mention that you're awesome?
You've done an amazing job, and this has gone miles further than I thought the board could bring it in such a short amount of time, even with certain limitations of the board itself (like the ability to recieve latest posts from all boards, including The Edge of the Forum).
You mentioned a Chrome Extension! I think people would like that, because not everyone is a poweruser (Firefox), and since the latest Firefox does run pretty slow, I think it'd be in great favor of the board (A few people complained about it already). If you post it, I'd be glad to append it to the first post to make everyone happy
biggrin.gif

ACEDIT: The Ask GBAtemp hyperlinks all seem broken to me. They all pop out as (for example): http://gbatemp.net/http://ask.gbatemp.net/...ftover-gba-cart
Instead of just:
http://ask.gbatemp.net/1485/there-way-swit...ftover-gba-cart

Ace

OP
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
SifJar said:
BTW, its not actually a bookmarklet...(bookmarklets are fragments of javascript code).
I know, but only because programming languages look like the normal alphabet was attacked by a hurricane to me
biggrin.gif

I'm still trying to get in touch with my Web Designing amigo. We'll see if he can lend us a hand
wink.gif

@JinTrigger: Hopefully, something like this can speed up thread response on GBAtemp (something which is sometimes lacking, sadly)

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
Ace Faith said:
@JinTrigger: Hopefully, something like this can speed up thread response on GBAtemp (something which is sometimes lacking, sadly)

That what I mean..Now I can keep track of whats being posted on weather it be something I posted on or one of my own threads....and I don't have to stay on GBATemp. I can stay on whatever website a choose and if I see something that I'd like to response to I just click it, response, and go on about my business. It's prefect for me.

Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ace Faith said:
(like the ability to recieve latest posts from all boards, including The Edge of the Forum).

Just implemented this now. News, Blogs and EOF.

Ace Faith said:
You mentioned a Chrome Extension! If you post it, I'd be glad to append it to the first post to make everyone happy
biggrin.gif

I'll post it tomorrow when I get back to the computer I made it on, however in its current state it's not very useful.

QUOTE(Ace Faith @ Feb 9 2011, 10:32 PM)
ACEDIT: The Ask GBAtemp hyperlinks all seem broken to me. They all pop out as (for example): http://gbatemp.net/http://ask.gbatemp.net/...ftover-gba-cart
Instead of just:
http://ask.gbatemp.net/1485/there-way-swit...ftover-gba-cart
Fixed.

So at this point I think the layout needs to be redesigned. Doesn't seem viable to simply scroll through all this stuff.

Ace

OP
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Hm, you're right about a redesign. Then again, I wasn't expecting the board to be able to hold functions like realtime latest posts.
tongue.gif

One could probably just add some sort of tabs at the very top of the page, removing the logo to give more space. Or some form of auto-scrolling enabled by default, completing the entire page in ~45-60 secs, then repeating itself.

ACEDIT: I really need the subtitle fixed for this thread, since it's proven to work on more browsers than just FF

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ace Faith said:
Hm, you're right about a redesign. Then again, I wasn't expecting the board to be able to hold functions like realtime latest posts.
tongue.gif

One could probably just add some sort of tabs at the very top of the page, removing the logo to give more space. Or some form of auto-scrolling enabled by default, completing the entire page in ~45-60 secs, then repeating itself.
Tabs sound good. I have an RS sidebar that does it well (chrome).

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
i use chrome and tried to bookmark it. i just leave it open in a tab. it kinda works but it's all in a straight line going down. it refreshes itself every 15-20 seconds i think.
allllll.png

Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
FireGrey said:
BTW Norton detects it as Phishing...
Interesting, probably because it gets and displays data from gbatemp.net. Not sure how it can actually detect something that doesn't even get user data "phishing" though.

QUOTE(game01 @ Feb 10 2011, 12:55 PM) i use chrome and tried to bookmark it. i just leave it open in a tab. it kinda works but it's all in a straight line going down. it refreshes itself every 15-20 seconds i think.
allllll.png

Yeah, what this does is produce HTML. Chrome can parse HTML content just like any other web browser, so this isn't much of a surprise.

Ace

OP
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Mazor said:
Yeah, what this does is produce HTML. Chrome can parse HTML content just like any other web browser, so this isn't much of a surprise.
Doesn't that mean one can make a Greasemonkey script as well?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Yep, something like that.