The Iso Zone joins the list of romsites removing their warez downloads links

bqUAjK0.png

Another long-running romsite, The Iso Zone, has joined Emuparadise and LoveROMS in the warez graveyard. Iso Zone has existed for years as a major warez site for larger game files, usually isos, hence the name. As of August 15, they are no longer offering download links to anything illegal. No explanation was given, other than a message saying "We are no longer offering download links. Thanks to everyone who helped make this site, and thus the world, a better place. We have some fresh ideas of where to go next. We also want to hear yours!"

9S4yLRm.png

Shortly after this change, another site name cropped up, offering itself as a replacement for Iso Zone. As this new site, which seems to have been established fairly recently, offers warez, naming it is against the rules. A message on the board states that they plan to re-host everything from Iso Zone, with the help from users of other, now defunct romsites.

UPDATE: A statement was made.

I've decided to step down from TiZ. I first started the site when I was around 19 years old, back in the dcisozone days - I would never have thought it would still be going until I was in my 30s! It's been a privilege watching the community start off with just a handful of us and grow to where it is now...

Which is why I couldn't just let this aging old site stagnate and put such a good thing to an end - a completely new version has been created and handed to the guys who have been passionately moderating this community for years.

Well, one thing you guys always said was that if this site were to go, you would always want the community to stick around. Though it's a little different now as there will be a community over there - I will still stick to my word and create something

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a general rule of thumb of copyright, if you don't bother to defend it, you lose the right to keep it. Nintendo and larger companies go after copyright violations pretty harshly because the bigger the name, the more difficult it is to defend against the "ubiquitous naming" that can sink a copyrighter's rights to a name. And there are other reasons too.

While it looks like they're being dicks, they're really just trying to protect their ability to hold on to their copyright. Same reason a lot of companies go after fan projects or the like. Their legal department tells them they need to or risk losing money in litigation further down the road. Rather than be mad at nintendo, be mad at current copyright laws. They're all sorts of messed up.
And while I totally understand that, I also know that they could basically entirely fix all the distrust and distaste people have for them by offering a legal alternative. So while I'm mad at copyright laws (and partly Disney for making some of them this way) for being stupid, I'm also mad at Nintendo for not capitalizing on the old games people clearly enjoy playing even today by offering alternative, more legal ways of still playing them.

D

Deleted User

Who needs those old, shitty games anyway? Why would I want to play Halo CE or MGS 2 when I have that sweet, sweet Fortnite on my PS4?
/s

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Holy shit.
AndI just finished downloading my romsets from there just this Monday.
Right on time before shit hit the fan, but still it is very sad to see romsites going down like this :/

Reactions: mikeprado30

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
They're all dying at once tho... I don't get it...
We just have to wait and see the reach of Nintendo's attack. I wouldn't panic or anything, when sites are taken down, others are born. If you are worried, just get a HDD and start downloading like a madman.

Welp, that was like the last place to easily get Playstation and Xbox homebrew, this kinda stinks
Not really into those roms, but I think the site just changed URLs. Go have a look around The Iso Zone and you'll find it.

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
It's frustrating. Do Nintendo think this will improve their public image or something, or do they think that piracy of 30 year old games will improve their financial situation? I understand their concern, but it's despicable that they're destroying gaming archives without any intention of preserving them through more legitimate means, like a Virtual Console.
They just want to like butts of their shareholders, and their shareholders are old stupid morons, that don't know a first thing about pop culture and gaming.

Reactions: mikeprado30

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've used their site alot over the years, pretty sure I used to go there for cover-art back when I was burning PC games and PS2 games for my modded system.

Sad to see them go, but I hadn't downloaded much from here recently. I think maybe the released proto of Happily Ever After, and a few PS2 undubs. But those are already up on the new site. I suspect that this new website may just be a little less known than TIZ, hopefully giving download links and files a bit less visability. But jumping in and grabbing what you need might not be a bad call at the rate this is going!

garyopa

Admin @ MaxConsole
Trophies
Website
www.O-P-A.biz
XP
Country
Canada
Time to go back to BBS system, with 56k modems and phone numbers, and 'ascii art' and scrolling text, for our downloads.

We don't need them on high-tech bot-searchable takedown domain website.

We just need a kid in basement with his retro computer, and stack of hard drives, and old-school cooper phone line with modem attached!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Hi