The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 delayed to spring 2023

As time inched forward towards the hopeful announcement of anything related to the upcoming sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's sequel, fans became uneasy with the lack of information from Nintendo. That's because the game has been pushed back, as shown in a video update today. Eiji Aonuma asked fans to please wait just a little bit longer, extending the development cycle for the game, and setting it to a Spring 2023 launch window.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who would think recycling an empty map with nothing but shrines and now throwing in by magic new areas would be so hard.

Never know, it may actually get something story/mission driven.

But I know I will be avoiding this one, BOTW was boring and seeing how they've pretty much recycled it for pokemon too and that is a terrible game.

Tried 3 times to get into the new pokemon and it's just terrible, it just feels like BOTW recycled with the same sounds, similar vocal sounds.

And is it true theyre going to do another one using this format.....

Typical tho, nintendo try do something so simple and fucks it up big time, clearly they should just stick to recycling and porting the same old shit to the switch.

The fanboys and girls love it regardless, mario kart port is amusing too, now you get something new, but ohhh no, nintendo make you buy it, you'd think it would come standard as they charged you again for lazy old ported crap, when buying a "new" game, you'd expect something new.

Reactions: vree

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who cares? The original BotW was stinking flaming garbage, with its almost complete lack of direction, artificial and player-hostile limitations in weapon/shield fragility and stamina, the blatant misandry in Gerudo Village, its incredibly ugly art style, the inability to fully max out both Hearts and stamina, the repetitive Shrines, Zelda wearing pants for some reason, the completely unnecessary bullshit Eventide Island and Master Sword Trials challenge of removing all the shit you've collected, how Zelda never actually appears outside of flashbacks and the ending cutscene (her telepathic voice could've easily been replaced by the King's, or by Ravio's or Tingle's, honestly, and nothing would've really changed).

Just cancel BotW2's development and make a traditional game instead; that will be amazing and I would be incredibly happy since traditional Zelda is amazing.
The Xenoblade 2 icon really makes this "lack of direction" comment really funny.
One year more for work on the game. Will it be sold complete?
Obviously not, they will split it in multiple DLCs...
This is based off literally nothing. Breath of the Wild had a few DLC packs but the game was completely playable and enjoyed without them. At best you could say Monolith Soft would be the cause, but Xenoblade 2 is a special case (it was a lesser priority than with BOTW) and Definitive Edition also literally has no DLC period.

This isn't surprising, but really means nothing. Most of the hostility seems to be from people who didn't like BOTW in the first place...? Which is some weirdo behavior. I don't get super into it but its on the level of saying something is outright bad when you just don't like it. "Who knew that recycling the map would be so hard," a lovely disingenuous thing to say for someone who keeps playing a format they seemingly already knew they don't like? As a product, BOTW was really solid and people still post silly tricks with it now. Like it works, which is a surprisingly high standard now. The gameplay footage shown was also kinda cool.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

As time inched forward towards the hopeful announcement of anything related to the upcoming sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's sequel, fans became uneasy with the lack of information from Nintendo. That's because the game has been pushed back, as shown in a video update today. Eiji Aonuma asked fans to please wait just a little bit longer, extending the development cycle for the game, and setting it to a Spring 2023 launch window.

I see no problem. I mean I'm sure most people were expecting it not to launch this year. Besides more Dev time likely means higher quality game.

Reactions: Tsukiru

such

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
It would be funny if it turned out they delayed this game just because chip shortages made it impossible to get a new system off the ground before 2023 - properly, keeping in mind the success of the Switch.

I very much doubt it, but it's a funny thought.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The Xenoblade 2 icon really makes this "lack of direction" comment really funny.
How so? Unlike BotW, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 DOES give direction, by having map markers and landmarks. You rarely get lost in XC2, and it's easy to find where that game's content lies; compare this to BotW, where you're stranded and have to manually search for content - nowhere near as engaging.

XC2 isn't perfect, sure, but it would undoubtedly be better if Monolith Soft wasn't burdened with BotW; if priorities had been reversed, it would've been far better, with more focus and resources spent on the great game than on the mediocre experiment.

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How so? Unlike BotW, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 DOES give direction, by having map markers and landmarks. You rarely get lost in XC2, and it's easy to find where that game's content lies; compare this to BotW, where you're stranded and have to manually search for content - nowhere near as engaging.

XC2 isn't perfect, sure, but it would undoubtedly be better if Monolith Soft wasn't burdened with BotW; if priorities had been reversed, it would've been far better, with more focus and resources spent on the great game than on the mediocre experiment.
Oh literal direction. Yeah but that's also... The point of BOTW. You decide what's forward. You're given locations and objectives but how you go about it is up to you. It's not bad, you just don't like it. And that's fine, because neither do I.

Reactions: Takokeshi

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe its just me, but it looks like that short clip of gameplay in this video looked like the game was running at a higher internal resolution than the first BOTW did. Even in docked mode and at 1080p, the first BOTW looked lower res, and had more aliasing on the edges of models. It didnt look this good.
IMO this clip isnt being rendered on a Switch.

Sylx3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Maybe its just me, but it looks like that short clip of gameplay in this video looked like the game was running at a higher internal resolution than the first BOTW did. Even in docked mode and at 1080p, the first BOTW looked lower res, and had more aliasing on the edges of models. It didnt look this good.
IMO this clip isnt being rendered on a Switch.
I think you'r forgetting the Switch is 5 years old. You seriously expect the sequel to be as bad, optimisation wise, as a game who was meant to run on Wii U and a brand new console simultanously ??
You're right though, this clip is probably not rendered on a Switch. Have you heard of target renders ? Have you ever seen a trailer for a video game ?

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think you'r forgetting the Switch is 5 years old. You seriously expect the sequel to be as bad, optimisation wise, as a game who was meant to run on Wii U and a brand new console simultanously ??
You're right though, this clip is probably not rendered on a Switch. Have you heard of target renders ? Have you ever seen a trailer for a video game ?
I'm well aware that trailers arent always rendered on the console itself, and can look better than the final game does. Hence why I didnt straight up claim that this is running on a potential Switch successor.
And BOTW 1 being made for the Wii U as well is irrelevant. Lots of Switch only games run poorly on the device. How many Switch games can you show me that look and run this good at 1080p without any aliasing?
I highly doubt they can make BOTW 2 look and run this good on existing hardware. This looked like it was running on PC with Cemu or something.

Sylx3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm well aware that trailers arent always rendered on the console itself, and can look better than the final game does. Hence why I didnt straight up claim that this is running on a potential Switch successor.
And BOTW 1 being made for the Wii U as well is irrelevant. Lots of Switch only games run poorly on the device. How many Switch games can you show me that look and run this good at 1080p without any aliasing?
I highly doubt they can make BOTW 2 look and run this good on existing hardware. This looked like it was running on PC with Cemu or something.
Thank you for your response ! I'm lurking on this site for years, but just started replying because I can't stand the free hate toward Nintendo and specifically Zelda that some user here have. I was sick of the non-argument they pull everyday, even on unrelated topic. But your response is clear, intelligent and you have real argument to support what you said.
I'm agreeing with all the thing you said, but I just want to give Nintendo a chance. It's Zelda, it's their (old) hardware, I really hope for a gigantic lesson for the switch last years :)

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
I can't see why, though, when BotW was experimental and crap compared to traditional Zelda. They had it down pat, releasing great games (though some were burdened by unnecessary gimmicks and added bullshit design, like the DS duo's stylus controls and ignorance of buttons, and Skyward Sword's dysfunctional motion controls/very limited Pouch/stamina), only to leave it behind for an open-world experiment that used practically none of that acquired skill.
You can't see why, because you're not them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Ken so your saying there is a chance? Lol