Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
How do you even use this?!
I can't think of an usecase where such ridiculously small keyboard could be the main (and only) keyboard in a setup :wacko:
I've heard explanations, basically once you get used to this type of keyboard, the fact your hands don't move to reach the further keys lets you type much faster and with less fatigue.
All symbols and functions are available through key combos, and since all of these keyboards are custom, you get to set it up for just the symbols you need/use and arrange them however suits you best. The use case I saw was for Linux/Vim, but there are other uses.
It didn't convince me to leave my full sized keyboard but I guess some people might prefer it.

Reactions: Sono

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
FB_IMG_1621691282482.jpg

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
And why don't the numpads on keyboards use the usual phone dialer layout?!
Because they use the usual cash register layout, just like calculators, and cash registers predate push button phones. So the real question is, why did phones have to be all contrarian?

Reactions: smileyhead and Sono

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Because they use the usual cash register layout, just like calculators, and cash registers predate push button phones. So the real question is, why did phones have to be all contrarian?
...Because the phone layout makes more sense? Seriously, does A make more sense than B?

the lazy dog.
fox jumped over
The quick brown

The quick brown
fox jumped over
the lazy dog.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
PGmFKZR.jpg

...Because the phone layout makes more sense? Seriously, does A make more sense than B?

the lazy dog.
fox jumped over
The quick brown

The quick brown
fox jumped over
the lazy dog.
On the other hand it also makes sense to put lower numbers in the lower rows and higher numbers in the higher rows. It's all arbitrary.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
I'm gonna make a wild guess and say it's maybe because, on classic telephones, the handset is above the keypad, and it made more sense to start numbering the buttons closer to it.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Wow, only $700?