The Pokemon Company is looking to hire those with NFT, metaverse, and blockchain experience

sdasd.png

The Pokemon Company has drawn the ire and attention of many, with a new job posting that is actively seeking employees with experience in uncharted territory for the Pokemon franchise. The hiring page shows that The Pokemon Company International wants to hire staff that has "deep knowledge and understanding of Web 3, [...] blockchain technologies, NFT, and/or metaverse. They also appear to be looking for someone who can "connect the relevance of potential partners or technologies with Pokemon's existing assets", which has fans dramatically split between unease and excitement for what this might mean for the future.

The Pokemon Company isn't the first, and definitely won't be the last, in terms of businesses trying to incorporate elements of the blockchain into the video game industry. Despite harsh criticism in the past, Square Enix is still committed to pushing the idea of NFT games. Regardless, outside of the hiring page, nothing involving NFTs has been announced from The Pokemon Company, for now.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Well, in theory both are designed with scarcity in mind, but individual Amiibos are certainly more available than individual NFT’s (since there’s only one unique NFT, but multiple identical figures on the market), so he’s got you there, but only on a technicality. In my opinion the NFT versus NFC argument is moot since the figures are just storage for data. There’s nothing holding anyone back from merging them and making each figure store unique data (besides pirates, of course). “Physical NFT’s” are on the market already. They suck, mind, but they exist. The latest implementation that comes to mind would by DC’s NFT-powered collectible cards.

View attachment 359091

I didn’t “flex my moderator powers”, that’s ridiculous. Everybody has the right to expect respect in a discussion, and ask someone to simmer down a little if they think their interlocutor is taking things too seriously. If you’re so concerned, report the post - you know where the button is. I very much doubt @trillspector felt threatened in any way because that’s a bizarre read of the statement quoted. If I wanted to threaten someone with a warn, I can just warn them, solely at my discretion - I don’t have to be “cute” about it.

Oh, and Taken is a movie. There’s a famous scene in it - perfectly applicable here, actually. Joke’s kind of wasted if you haven’t seen it.

The conversation branched from why amiibos were successful at catching on as opposed to other NFC devices. I made a point that the internet requirement is more accessible than the NFC gateway. Scarcity of the NFT is a moot point, since it can be anything. Dude tried arguing that it's a lot easier to get amiibos than it is to connect to the internet.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The conversation branched from why amiibos were successful at catching on as opposed to other NFC devices. I made a point that the internet requirement is more accessible than the NFC gateway. Scarcity of the NFT is a moot point, since it can be anything. Dude tried arguing that it's a lot easier to get amiibos than it is to connect to the internet.
I suppose that’s one way to look at it. My point (and attempt at reconciliation between you two) is that you’re arguing what’s better - apples or bricks. Besides their collectible nature (which kind of applies to anything - there are people who collect spoons out there), they’re two very different segments of the tech industry. That’s why I pointed out that you could put an NFT on an NFC chip, thus having your cake and eating it. I’m not so sure if the crux of the argument, the general “bad press” NFT’s get, is actually a valid point of comparison either. Amiibos have received *plenty* of criticism, specifically based on their scarcity. Nintendo’s not stupid, and planned scarcity has been a part of the playbook for a while. I know this because *I* paid for an Amiibo through the nose and had to drive a stupid amount of miles to find a specific one (it was Marth, it was a gift, and I paid about 400% RRP. Don’t ask, it wasn’t even a scalper seller, it was a genuine supermarket). That definitely bolsters your “accessibility” point, but only because Nintendo deigned it so - there was never a shortage of Skylanders in their hayday. Nintendo’s business practices *make* Amiibo difficult to obtain, so that’s a deliberate decision on their part. In the absence of that, they’d just be on a store shelf like any other toy 24/7, *and* you could buy them online too if you so desired. Kind of a draw from where I’m sitting, in an argument about two very different things. A more apt comparison would be an MP3 versus an audio CD - that’s music in a digital format versus music on a physical medium that you can just buy in a store. It’s a fine argument to have, but ultimately they’re both just music, only the delivery medium is different. From that point of view we knew exactly which delivery method won, and we know why - the convenience of the internet cannot be overstated. Sadly, you can’t put that on a shelf, so it’s not exactly a 1:1 comparison - Amiibo win that contest hands down.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I suppose that’s one way to look at it. My point (and attempt at reconciliation between you two) is that you’re arguing what’s better - apples or bricks. Besides their collectible nature (which kind of applies to anything - there are people who collect spoons out there), they’re two very different segments of the tech industry. That’s why I pointed out that you could put an NFT on an NFC chip, thus having your cake and eating it. I’m not so sure if the crux of the argument, the general “bad press” NFT’s get, is actually a valid point of comparison either. Amiibos have received *plenty* of criticism, specifically based on their scarcity. Nintendo’s not stupid, and planned scarcity has been a part of the playbook for a while. I know this because *I* paid for an Amiibo through the nose and had to drive a stupid amount of miles to find a specific one (it was Marth, it was a gift, and I paid about 400% RRP. Don’t ask, it wasn’t even a scalper seller, it was a genuine supermarket). That definitely bolsters your “accessibility” point, but only because Nintendo deigned it so - there was never a shortage of Skylanders in their hayday. Nintendo’s business practices *make* Amiibo difficult to obtain, so that’s a deliberate decision on their part. In the absence of that, they’d just be on a store shelf like any other toy 24/7, *and* you could buy them online too if you so desired. Kind of a draw from where I’m sitting, in an argument about two very different things. A more apt comparison would be an MP3 versus an audio CD - that’s music in a digital format versus music on a physical medium that you can just buy in a store. It’s a fine argument to have, but ultimately they’re both just music, only the delivery medium is different. From that point of view we knew exactly which delivery method won, and we know why - the convenience of the internet cannot be overstated. Sadly, you can’t put that on a shelf, so it’s not exactly a 1:1 comparison - Amiibo win that contest hands down.
I'm not arguing which is better. I made a specific point about accessibility.

Dyhr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn’t “flex my moderator powers”, that’s ridiculous. Everybody has the right to expect respect in a discussion, and ask someone to simmer down a little if they think their interlocutor is taking things too seriously. If you’re so concerned, report the post - you know where the button is. I very much doubt @trillspector felt threatened in any way because that’s a bizarre read of the statement quoted. If I wanted to threaten someone with a warn, I can just warn them, solely at my discretion - I don’t have to be “cute” about it.

Oh, and Taken is a movie. There’s a famous scene in it - perfectly applicable here, actually. Joke’s kind of wasted if you haven’t seen it.

Except you did. Any suggestion from you on what to do with regards to policy or behavior, is an order. You're not a normal user.
Report the post so... you can handle your own? Which... is part of the issue here?

"If I wanted to threaten someone with a warn, I'd just warn them. After all, it can't be traced back to me (false, unless GBATemp uses a really bad, customized XenForo implementation),

No one argued that---perhaps you should try and learn to read.
For what it's worth, NFC devices are infinitely superior to NFTs anyway.

There's ACTUAL proof of ownership of a REAL concept and REAL device, instead of some planet-destroying bullshit that tells you that you own a hyperlink, but said hyperlink can actually be anything, but you MIGHT own the hyperlink, just make sure no one else gets the hyperlink, or they own it as well, but you own it, but so will they.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
No one argued that---perhaps you should try and learn to read.

You literally dismissed my saying so, twice. I have no interest in arguing which one is better, as both are possible and could be complimentary.

"Planet-destroying", lol. Did you read that from a printer pressed version of the newspaper or the version that is hosted on a global computer network? Maybe you even saw it on a YouTube video.

Dyhr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You literally dismissed my saying so, twice. I have no interest in arguing which one is better, as both are possible and could be complimentary.

"Planet-destroying", lol. Did you read that from a printer pressed version of the newspaper or the version that is hosted on a global computer network? Maybe you even saw it on a YouTube video.

Sorry to dox you but here's a picture of you, Mr. Well-Dweller: https://iea.org.uk/yet-you-participate-in-society-in-defence-of-mr-gotcha/

Comparing the sheer energy used on computational bullshit like an NFT, which is just a fancy way of saying "cryptic hyperlink to another hyperlink", to the use of a phone or personal computer is... a leap.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Except you did. Any suggestion from you on what to do with regards to policy or behavior, is an order. You're not a normal user.
Report the post so... you can handle your own? Which... is part of the issue here?
I'll have to say that this looks like an argument made in bad faith. You appear to be reading between the lines what isn't there. He was saying that parties involved in the debate should probably chill a little, which some other non-staff members also do, sometimes rightfully so and others not so much (but that is besides the point). He wasn't pulling rank and file to assert his point.

There is also the preconception that Foxi4 would handle a report made towards him AND acted upon it in an unjust way, which is at best an assumption on your end. You are free to feel whichever way, but to use it as an argument and thereby treating it as fact is not exactly fair, towards Foxi4 or the rest of the moderation staff for that matter.

"If I wanted to threaten someone with a warn, I'd just warn them. After all, it can't be traced back to me (false, unless GBATemp uses a really bad, customized XenForo implementation),
And then there's this. You even directly quoted him so it was very apparent that you were extrapolating and putting words in his mouth. He mentioned that he could take action at his sole discretion, not that he could do it without "be(ing) traced back to (him)". You are correct on one front though. His moderating actions can indeed be traced back to him but that was never the point.

The TCG is by far the easiest to implement and could benefit from it. Pokémon card trading IRL is bigger than ever, logically it makes sense for the Pokémon company to cash in (and skim a little bit off the top) in the digital realm as well. Every Pokémon booster pack already comes with a code to add Pokémon to the digital version, making them unique tokens is the obvious next step.
Going on a slight tangent, I think it might be interesting if they are moving to consolidate both the online and irl scenes since afaik they have been largely separate with the offline counterpart being the main focus. Might increase accessibility to tournaments. There will obviously be quite a few hurdles to overcome if we go down this route. Only time will tell I suppose.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Sorry to dox you but here's a picture of you, Mr. Well-Dweller: https://iea.org.uk/yet-you-participate-in-society-in-defence-of-mr-gotcha/

Comparing the sheer energy used on computational bullshit like an NFT, which is just a fancy way of saying "cryptic hyperlink to another hyperlink", to the use of a phone or personal computer is... a leap.

If NFT is implemented successfully with their project, I would consider that an improvement. NFT doesn't imply anything about the size of the network or the energy use. If this was sincerely a discussion about saving the Earth, you'd make the honest attempt to consider the systems blockchain and NFT could replace.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Yeah, I also expect people that speak to me to have a basic grasp of English. Here’s a more complete quote, since the concept of context is alien to you:
If you’re going to ask me questions I know you know the answers to, I’m going to have my pound of flesh too and mess around a bit - all is fair in love and war. That’s me telling you to rein in the indignation a little bit and have a polite discussion where we don’t have to sling mud at each other for no reason whatsoever. It’s Pokémon, no need to get hostile.
What do you think I’m talking about here, a thinly-veiled threat based on my position (that you just imagined) or the *immediately preceding sentence*? In case you don’t know, “a pound of flesh” is from Shakespeare’s “The Merchant of Venice”. In the play the villain (Shylock) gives a loan to his rival (Antonio) whom he had previous conflicts with, under the condition that the security for the loan will be “one pound of flesh”. Once it comes time to pay back and Antonio fails to do so, Shylock demands a literal pound of *his* flesh. In English it’s a phrase that describes something someone is, strictly speaking, entitled to, however ruthless or unpleasant it might be. In context of the conversation above, I was saying that if he’s going to ask me rhetorical questions, I’m entitled to give him equivalent answers. It’s a more clever way of saying “stupid questions, stupid answers”. That’s precisely why I said “It’s me (as in, my way of) telling him to rein (his) indignation in”. It pretty obvious when you read it, it’s right there.

As the Supervisor mentioned above, all the actions I perform on this forum *are* traceable to me, there’s a class of user that exists solely to moderate *us* moderators. They’re the higher instance you can appeal to if you think a moderator is being “unfair”. After all, “who watches the watchmen?”, am I right? Please tell me you’ve at least watched “The Watchmen”, such a good film, probably the last good “superhero flick”.

As for moderators and discussions, I’m a member of the site just like everybody else and I’m entitled to participate in discussions in the exact same capacity as others do. If I were to moderate a thread, I assure you, you’d notice immediately because, as I said, I’m not “cute” about it - when I give someone a warning, verbal or otherwise, they know because I tell them that, along with the reason why.

If you have any other questions or queries, you can pass them on directly to the Supervising staff - I always welcome any inquiry into my work because I’m transparent, particularly since I didn’t do anything wrong. I even *suggested reporting it* to you, which should give you a fair idea of my level of confidence in this matter. Anyone can read the post, it’s public. If anything, you might have a weird idea of who moderators are in your head. We’re just people on this side, we have conversations too. I’m afraid that this is a website, not Discord - nobody’s wearing fedoras in these parts. If you’re uncomfortable with that then I don’t know what to tell you - we use the site too, just like other users, so get used to it.

Now, if you don’t mind, *I* will get back to the topic at hand and ignore any further attempts at concern trolling on your part. As far as I can tell it’s off-topic banter that I’m not interested in.

trillspector

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gonna chime in, and say yeah i super dont feel threatened lmao, like me and Foxi4 have had a debate but it has remained civil. I just had real life stuff to attend to, cmon @Dyhr thats a terrible argument

Reactions: Foxi4

RunePhantom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
flex your moderator powers by "advising someone to cool down"
Come on dude, he hardly flexed mod powers. Telling someone to cool down is hardly a threat lol. This is a topic that can get pretty heated, and sometimes a call out to chill is a good way to defuse the talk. I didn't feel threatened by Foxi, we just disagree. Doesn't mean either of us felt like we were being assholes to each other.

Reactions: Foxi4

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

There's an argument going on in the Pokemon NFT news thread? No fucking way I never would've guessed.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Gonna chime in, and say yeah i super dont feel threatened lmao, like me and Foxi4 have had a debate but it has remained civil. I just had real life stuff to attend to, cmon @Dyhr thats a terrible argument
I’m glad that we’re in agreement on this. Let’s not make a scene and try to stick to the topic going forward. :)

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
why couldnt gamefreak just generate an unique id for each pokemon and store them on their servers, and bypass the entire need for blockchain & nft's? it'd have the same exact effect
That’s literally what a blockchain is.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That’s literally what a blockchain is.
Pretty much, with the added benefit of “keeping track of itself”, so to speak. There’s a lot more bells and whistles than that, but broadly speaking, a blockchain is a self-contained public ledger of immutable and unique information that tracks assets within itself.

Reactions: The Catboy

Dyhr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much, with the added benefit of “keeping track of itself”, so to speak. There’s a lot more bells and whistles than that, but broadly speaking, a blockchain is a self-contained public ledger of immutable and unique information that tracks assets within itself.
Except blockchains aren't "immutable" or "unique" at all. It's literally nothing.
God you crypto bros are hilarious. Any attempt to make "blockchain" useful (like using Bitcoin as a currency instead of Beanie Babies for idiots) leads to it being useless... because you just have libertarian/ancap wheel reinventing, except grossly inefficient.

Ricken

Waiting for something to happen?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Pokeverse with every pokemon existing as an NFT that you can do things with in game might be neat if they do it right
I'd love to see people scramble over event Pokemon and chuckling at every rush for an expensive chunk of bytes :P

Dyhr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Pokeverse with every pokemon existing as an NFT that you can do things with in game might be neat if they do it right
I'd love to see people scramble over event Pokemon and chuckling at every rush for an expensive chunk of bytes :P
What would it do differently to the end-user?
Oh, nothing?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/WwFuB1GRKz4