ROM Hack The various audio formats of the DS

Gericom

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't know what you exactly mean, but sbnk can only be converted with the samples. Which are in the swar files. In mkds course modifier you have to open the sdat. Open the sseq then and it will be played with sbnk. It also supports looping.
If you grab a HGSS rom and try playing the GB Sounds themes in VGMtrans, you won't hear anything because the 8-bit sounds it's using are direct, not sampled. And when you log to DLS, it's the same result.

They've worked in NDS Music Player since @KazoWAR added direct sound support.
I will look at it. But did you try mkds course modifier playing allready? With loop?
Can you send me the sdat by the way?
I can't really link you to the SDAT as it's still copyright but if you get a rom, it's in /data/sound/gs_sound_data.sdat.

As for using MKDS Course Modifier, I can't get it to use the game's banks, it only plays general MIDI. Unless there is a setting for that?
Did you open sdat?

loco365

Trophies
XP
I don't know what you exactly mean, but sbnk can only be converted with the samples. Which are in the swar files. In mkds course modifier you have to open the sdat. Open the sseq then and it will be played with sbnk. It also supports looping.
If you grab a HGSS rom and try playing the GB Sounds themes in VGMtrans, you won't hear anything because the 8-bit sounds it's using are direct, not sampled. And when you log to DLS, it's the same result.

They've worked in NDS Music Player since @KazoWAR added direct sound support.
I will look at it. But did you try mkds course modifier playing allready? With loop?
Can you send me the sdat by the way?
I can't really link you to the SDAT as it's still copyright but if you get a rom, it's in /data/sound/gs_sound_data.sdat.

As for using MKDS Course Modifier, I can't get it to use the game's banks, it only plays general MIDI. Unless there is a setting for that?
Did you open sdat?
Yes. I'm hearing the songs, but it's all in general MIDI sounds- not the in-game sounds.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick post to say I pulled apart WWE SmackDown vs Raw 2010 featuring ECW and there were some ogg files sitting there
MPC readout of the largest one
General
Complete name : sound\bgm_entrance_20.ogg
Format : OGG
File size : 536 KiB
Duration : 2mn 1s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 36.1 Kbps

Audio
ID : 9487 (0x250F)
Format : Vorbis
Duration : 2mn 1s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 32.0 Kbps
Channel(s) : 1 channel
Sampling rate : 11.025 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 475 KiB (89%)
Writing library : aoTuV b5c (UTC 2008-12-15)

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yay double post.

Pulled apart Rhythm n Notes. SDAT audio but alongside it is midi files. They play in windows and for the most part sound like rhythm tracks I might find on a cheap electric keyboard and the occasional jab at the keys which is much like they sound in the SDAT (although it does benefit from having something other than the standard midi controller windows has). Whether part of the game or a developer left extra I have no idea at this stage.

Also Impossible mission. I have yet to find the sound files but there is another nice example of the bik video format including a 20fps one (the logo) and a very small audio only one by the looks of things (beep.bik) which could be good for reverse engineering. On the sound format the largest non bik file is 211k and there is a file called songset1.bin that might be worth a look.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Going for the triple post, hopefully it being over two years since the last one...
Another thread pointed me at Shining Stars - Super Starcade

As yet unknown music formats with the extension .sfx and .mus

I managed to get something other than static (though by no means pleasant to listen to) for the sfx stuff in audacity so probably some form of wave format. .mus is significantly smaller and I am guessing sequenced, no idea where any banks would be for this one.

Oh and the game has raw lua. Unsure at this point if they are developer leftovers or if they are actively used.

friendwich

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to add some things

SAD files

SAD files can be opened in vgmstream. I used a program called Tahaxan to extract the SAD files.

SWD files

SWD files I still can't figure out. Anyone know how to listen to them?

Last edited by friendwich,

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for necrobumping, but apparantly YDKJ 2011 (yes, there's a DS version of YDKJ 2011.) uses .snd files for both the music and Cookie's speech. I still don't know how to get these into a usable format, but it seems like they aren't midi/tracker-like, I can tell you that much. Also windows seems to think they're "AU format sound files" despite the fact that Windows Media Player can't play any of them.

fciq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
0276 - Biohazard - Deadly Silence \data\data\movie\dm1.ahx can not edit or play. It might be new version AHX file? How can I modifie it it .I want make it to a chinese speech game.

Last edited by fciq,

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have not played with that game but it is reasonably old as these things go and most things in the ADX/AHX world worked fine on the normal means of playback when I encountered them in other games of around that age and for several years after that.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

fciq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I have not played with that game but it is reasonably old as these things go and most things in the ADX/AHX world worked fine on the normal means of playback when I encountered them in other games of around that age and for several years after that.
thx

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Giganutz