Gaming they said piracy kills psp... but what about vita?

omarrrio

Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
as of right now piracy would save vita rather than kill it....
If you're thinking "Ooooh free games i can put on memory card and play on vita! i'll go buy one right now !" would save the console, you're not the only one who thinks like that, The vita is a gaming console, thus it runs games, thus devs make games, why do they make games ? to gain money, where do they gain money ? from selling the cartridges, ooh wait, now games are free on the interwebz :( -> devs stop making games for vita -> vita market is dead -> vita market would actually be worse than it is right now.

Reactions: Ozito

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when I posted the question, I overlooked the fact that PS vita uses proprietary memory card which is bloody expensive. seriously, what was sony thinking when they made vita?
I'll show you exactly what Sony was thinking.

kpz1.jpg

Nobody can tell me they weren't. :ph34r:

Roamin64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think sale numbers are somewhat biased.. Xbox 360 sold around 80 million, sure, but i've owned about 4 xbox 360. With all the dead consoles, a lot of users needed to buy another console to enjoy their game library they had purchased.. Same goes for ps3. I know a few people who've owned 2 PS3's ... Handhelds weren'T plagued with failure problems as the 360/ps3 did, but are easily damaged in transport, are lost or stolen. So again many would replace them over the years. I know there were a lot of dead drives on the wii, that could lead to buying a new console, but I also know that so many people dreamed that buying a wii and wii fit was gonna make them lose weight.. So even my mom has a wii .. that's been collecting dust for a long time now. She will never spend anymore money on the wii, or games, but she bought one.

As for ways to get the ps vita to get more sales, it's just impossible. I would never carry around a handheld anymore. So many other options, phones , tablets , laptops, that have a lot of power , better resolution, usually games arent as big and full of content as "consoles/handhelds" but everyday there are more and more games out there. Also you know that the operating system you are using , be it iOS or Android, will still be there in years to come, and all your game collection will follow you. I've never needed big huge complex games while on the go, since If i'm on the go , i'm busy so I dont have time to play much. And when I do have time, i much prefer playing in the comfort of my living room. I'd also rather not carry around a few game carts that I might play later , or might not play for weeks. For that matter , a DS with a decent flash cart was a great option. I hate it when the game you want to play , is designed for handheld specifically , and now here i am sitting in my living room , playing on a DS screen the size of deck of cards, while my 50 inch tv is there, next to my 30 inch pc monitor, just doing nothing. Hands cramping on a oddly shaped console.

Most games aren't top notch on tablets/phones, but I hear millions are playing flappy bird and candy crush.

The PSP had something for itself, it was a powerful handheld at the time, where we all hoped it could bring good on the go possibilities. But the psp 1000's screen was so disgusting. So much bleeding that NES emulation looked terrible , and not powerful enough for SNES emulation at 100% frame/speed/sound. It couldnt play even xvid out of the box. Both my galaxy S3 and S4 could play mkv 1080p out of the box , and with hdmi tv out with accessory.. So in this day and age , 2014 , where every carrier is trying its best to have you buy one of their phones, how can the Vita ever have a chance? Game devs are much more likely to hit a home run on iOS or Android , then on Vita.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
I will always be against the kind of piracy that exists so kids can play new games for free. The 3DS was selling well even before the Gateway, so why wouldn't the Vita?
I guess it's always a matter of bad marketing.
Can't be bad marketing without having any marketing at first lol.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
People keep crying into the heavens about the proprietary memory but everybody forgets about the actual hardware. I've said it a hundred times before - the PSVita's GPU is an upgraded version of the GPU found in the iPad 3 and the CPU is a quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 running at up to 2GHz, at the time of the system's release practically nothing could even touch it in terms of performance and it sold for a fraction of the price other devices with equivalent hardware sold for. The one and only reason why the memory cards are priced high is to bounce back from the losses made on hardware - that's it. They wanted the entry price for the PSVita to be as low as humanly possible without sacrificing any performance and that's a good thing, the memory cards were and continue to be expensive, but I can live with that because you only ever need one. I bought a 32GB one close to launch and I never regretted the purchase.

Reactions: Ozito

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
People keep crying into the heavens about the proprietary memory but everybody forgets about the actual hardware. I've said it a hundred times before - the PSVita's GPU is an upgraded version of the GPU found in the iPad 3 and the CPU is a quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 running at up to 2GHz, at the time of the system's release practically nothing could even touch it in terms of performance and it sold for a fraction of the price other devices with equivalent hardware sold for. The one and only reason why the memory cards are priced high is to bounce back from the losses made on hardware - that's it. They wanted the entry price for the PSVita to be as low as humanly possible without sacrificing any performance and that's a good thing, the memory cards were and continue to be expensive, but I can live with that because you only ever need one. I bought a 32GB one close to launch and I never regretted the purchase.

Despite the reasons behind "why" the memory cards are so expensive, a nice way to begin recovering the Vita market would be to cut the memory card price in half.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is not 2004. The PSVita became outdated in a matter of months, just like smartphones transformed the market. You can't GPU your way through the market nowadays, you need software and a good marketing plan.
Sony has failed really hard lately: the PSP Go, the Xperia Play, now this... and they all had great ideas (especially the Xperia). But having a cow isn't enough, you must be capable to milk it. And I know that the Vita isn't comparable to the other two, but considering how much potential had, I'm sure they could've outrun the 3DS easily, especially after the 3D Classic's giant fiasco (seriously, I want my 3D 8-bit games damnit).
As for the memory cards... a huge part of my 3DS library is digital and I thank God that I got a 32GB card, since half is already full. Considering how powerful the Vita is, I can't believe the same size would be enough.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Welp