Things you recently bought or got

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I bought a second hand Lenovo Thinkpad X280 instead of a Chromebook/cheap Celeron laptop.

Basically, I wanted a cheap, lightweight laptop with decent battery life for when I'm doing the odd task around the house which can sit between my 'good' laptops and tablet. For example, doing something on my 3D printer, holding the system in my hand and typing stuff in (which got annoying with my existing hardware).

At first I was looking at Chromebooks, but when I found out the Android support on the low end was naff I decided to look at generic low end Celeron laptops instead and slapping Linux on it. But then numerous people were saying to buy second hand because these machines were turds of the devil. Personally I still think these machines were good enough but decided to look on ebay anyway which after a roundabout search lead me to the X280.

The seller was offering a discount, warranty and promising 50% battery life (or 4 hours, based on reviews) and thanks to another voucher I got it for £120 delivered.

Pros:
1) It's a relatively lightweight 12.5" laptop
2) It has a 2280 M.2 slot for SSD and it looks like I can put a B+M 2242 SSD in the WWAN slot.
3) I'm getting 4-5 hours in Linux using the web browser and having 1080p video in the background
4) USB-C charging (I can use my third party phone charger with it)
5) Official W11 support (handy for the odd thing)
6) More capable (see below)
7) 8GB RAM (as opposed to 4GB)
8) (unverified) The seller shipped it with a copy of Windows 11 Home, which I dumped the key of, however when I clean installed it automatically activated as Windows 11 Pro. So I may have gotten a 'free' Windows license out of this.
9) 1080p display
10) Backlit keyboard

Cons:
1) Slightly larger/heavier than some of the other machines I was looking at (you'd be surprised how much 300g difference can feel)
2) Only 4-5 hours battery life (I have a feeling I'd have gotten 2-4 more out of the others)
3) Soldered RAM (although 8GB is still good enough)
4) mSD slot is on a sim tray (so not something I'd want to use for say, flashing an RPi)
5) Not sure about long term durability of USB-C charging slot (not exactly the machines fault).
6) No built in ethernet (although fortunately the UEFI recognises my USB Ethernet adaptor)
7) relatively limited gaming potential (although given my original reason for buying it, not really an issue)

Overall, I'd say I'm happy with it and it's making me wonder whether to expand my usage of it, for example:
1) Replace my fire stick, travel router and 2TB HDD by fitting a 2TB M.2 drive and a USB Wifi adapter
2) Put a 512GB M.2 drive in the WWAN slot and put a load of linux distros on it to mess around with
3) Take this instead of my good tablet when travelling e.g. hotel for the night

Update:

Just tested Windows, got around 4 hours. Web browser feels slightly more sluggish though, but you gain the advantage of any apps you may want which aren't on Linux.

Last edited by tech3475,
Reactions: AncientBoi

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So what exactly's in that thing? There have been... claims.
It's just a sauce now. A relatively large and reputable company got the rights for it a while ago to get it into shops, and it no longer poisons people as a bonus. Not to mention it looks significantly less like pepto bismol (though it does look more like vomit, so I can't say which is really better).

Payne

Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
in past few months : Super Mario bros 1 & 3 famicom cartridges, breath of the wild, mario odyssey, ps2 slim, ps2 fat (with missing PS logo on front GODDAMIT but was cheap so whatever), ps1 and ps2 controllers + memory cards, few naruto manga omnibus and few boruto volumes, Netflix subscription

Reactions: AncientBoi

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
It's just a sauce now. A relatively large and reputable company got the rights for it a while ago to get it into shops, and it no longer poisons people as a bonus. Not to mention it looks significantly less like pepto bismol (though it does look more like vomit, so I can't say which is really better).
Yeah I looked it up. I remember the early days of the "pink sauce" when the lady used to mix up batches of mystery sauce and sell it in random bottles she'd find around the house, and the recipe was still a secret.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I looked it up. I remember the early days of the "pink sauce" when the lady used to mix up batches of mystery sauce and sell it in random bottles she'd find around the house, and the recipe was still a secret.
Yeaaaah that was a shitstorm lol. There were stories about it being shipped poorly and poisoning people. Wild times.

dragonblood9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ordered a cheap Neoeco airbrush. So I have 4 different airbrushs now, they are all for different size needles or types of paint.

Ordered a usb-c female to male 3 foot extensions cable to use with my steamdeck charger.

Yesterday I went with my nephew to a local hobby shop and I got 2 Gundam kits for me and 1 for him. He got the HG Guntank and I got the HG Dreadnought Gundam(which is supposed to be kind of a crappie kit) and a RE 1/100 Dijeh. Only reason I got the dijeh was because Bandai has basically abandoned the RE line of gunpla and it was cheap.

Oh also bought Kill it With Fire on ps4.

Attachments

• 20240106_175329.jpg
    20240106_175329.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 20240106_141047.jpg
    20240106_141047.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • 20240106_141054.jpg
    20240106_141054.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
Last edited by dragonblood9999,
Reactions: AncientBoi and Veho

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Filled up the car with gas, then went to eat a meal at Burger King, then a coffee elsewhere.

Now, just purchased this program and it's really useful to remove bloatware from Android phones/tablets/TVs.

https://adbappcontrol.com/en/

If you don't wanna pay tax, just use a state like AK (Alaska) or a country such as Andorra. Oh no there's someone who's trying to avoid paying tax call the cops. lol

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
More than 3, less than 4 USD.
Laptop with Windows 2000 and 500GB HDD. No charger.
IMG_20240107_174114_533.jpg

I nearly snatched a VAIO Windows 7 PRO lap for 400 MXN but had to decline as it didn't came without charger neither.
Damn!
I'll be hunting fir old laptops, I'm looking for a Win7 one, hope to find it!
rogar-llorar.gif

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Just upgrade that Windows 2000 to Windows 7. I suggest using the Windows 7 Tiny though.
Or Windows XP
Need to find the chargers in order to see the specs of both.
Then I'll decide wheter or not to try and upgrade. Kinda want to leave them like they're, nostalgia reasons.

To be honest, I just want them to test bootable USBs. Need to find USBs too.

Tomorrow will go to the flea market, hope to find what I need.

Damn, I'm regretting not buying that Win 7 VAIO. Searching it on Google, it's over 8000MXN used and I was going to get it at 400. 😩

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Need to find the chargers in order to see the specs of both.
Then I'll decide wheter or not to try and upgrade. Kinda want to leave them like they're, nostalgia reasons.

To be honest, I just want them to test bootable USBs. Need to find USBs too.

Tomorrow will go to the flea market, hope to find what I need.

Damn, I'm regretting not buying that Win 7 VAIO. Searching it on Google, it's over 8000MXN used and I was going to get it at 400. 😩

When it come to laptop unless you see it is able to power on, then don't buy it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5uh_m4VgTY4