Proud Pakistani
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pakistan
Well i want to sell my GBA SP and purchase a PSP b/c of it`s features. The other reason is cuz i don`t have any GBA Flash carts so i had to buy carts i only have like 10 or 12 games for GBA. Most of the games aren`t great and my little brother brought them so i don`t play them. I know that there is a GBA Emulator for PSP plus a lot of other Emus as well so since i can put any rom and play it it will be much better than buying the carts. I will be able to play most of my favourite RPGS.
I am going to buy a PSP with 2 GB Memory Stick so i can store and play everything i want. I have a couple of question to ask though.
Will i able to play PS1 games on PSP as well cuz i heared that there is a PS1 Emu on PSP. How good are the Emus especially the N64 and Super Nintendo one. Which movie format plays on the PSP or does the PSP has its own Format. If there are PSP games ISOS which we can downlaod and play on the PSP how big is a single ISO(i am asking about the size in MB)like GBA games are mostly 10 to 2 MBs so how big are the ISOS(i am not asking any link).
How much is the battery life and how much time it takes to charge it? Can we hook the PSP to the TV and play PSP games on it(i thought that maybe we could do it) and can we use it as a remote for PS2?
Beside the main features what are other useful feature s of PSP and please don`t say me to buy a DS instead b/c i can`t buy one here where i live cuz we don`t have DS here.
Than for Any Help.
smile.gif

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't have a PSP but...

- The PS1 emulator is an official emulator from Sony that will be released in a couple of months, so until it is cracked or whatever you will have to pay for the games on it.
- Heard GBA emulator works okay but obviously with such a new emu there there still lots of things that need to be implemented.
- N64 emu doesn't exist to my knowledge - it was a fake.
- SNES runs really well form what I hear but the PSP has a crap D-Pad which might ruin the fun a bit.
- You can play movies/video from a variety of formats inculding divx etc... with various media player apps.
- ISOs range quite a lot in size, a couple even go past the 1GB mark but ripped versions are easily available to fit on 512MB/1GB sticks etc... =)
- Battery I dunno as I don't have one... but I head it's around 4-8 hours or something.
- You can hook it to a TV with a mod if I remember but I heard the picture isn't all that great.
- No you can't use it as a PS2 remote.
- Import a DS!
biggrin.gif

ds6220

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, I sold mine a few months ago so my info may be a bit dated BUT as I did own a PSP with 1.50 firmware I can tell you a little bit.

1) PS1 emulation still has a ways to go. I think it can be done (there is a pretty great NeoGeo CD emulator for it) though, just time will tell.

2) There is no real good N64 emu for it but there is a lot of good to be said about its NES, SNES, TG16, Genesis and a handful of others. This thing is really good in the "homebrew" dept.

3) The PSP uses a unique video file system but there are plenty of converters out there so movie play back is pretty easy and cool. (beautiful screen btw) I believe the file is a MP4)

4) Just like the GBA and DS "scene" there are PSP iso groups and most of the games can be shrunk down to fit on a 1gig card. A lot of the games clock in at over 1.2 gigs or so but they also sometimes include dummy files to make them bigger. There should be no game that would be too large for a 2 gig card though due to the size limitation of the UMD disk.

5) Battery life is way better when playing a game off the stick but still not awesome. Playing off the stick you can get a good day in and then charge it over night.

6) There have been several attempts to hook this thing up to TVs but nothing really easy has been made to accomplish this.

I guess I would say that all in all, as long as you have the right FW it can be a really fun system. I sold mine because the DS library far outshines the DS library, but if you are going to do Homebrew, the PSP is pretty sweet (although the GP2 guys and the Tapwave guys will probably say theirs is battery and they may be right)
yaynds.gif

serious_sean

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok, there is some misinformation in this thread.

N64 emulation DOES exist, and is getting better all the time. Right now it's at probably 20fps for mario 64, which isn't great, but it's a start.

you CAN use the psp as a ps2 remote using a program called IRshell.

lastly, a new GBA emulator has just come out which runs a lot of games 100%. and it's progressing quickly.

so, there you go. You can research this yourself at www.psp-hacks.com

ds6220

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup, PSP Hacks is the way to go.

As I said, no real good emulator for the N64 but progress is a good thing.

I forgot about the remote question but I have one in return...Why? as a PS2 controller, it would suck big time. Neat? Sure. Good? Hell no.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

I forgot about the remote question but I have one in return...Why? as a PS2 controller, it would suck big time. Neat? Sure. Good? Hell no.

The PS2 remote is not used as a controller it is used as a remote to turn the system on and to run things like the DVD playback.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I haven't even considered a PSP mainly due to the high price and shortage of games I like.
BUT
All that may well change when they put out the Playstation emulator.
There are scads of good games on PS. If Sony does it right, it'll be their killer app.

The DS homebrew scene is active but a bit disappointing right now (don't shoot me!) so I've been leaning towards a Gamepark GP2X cuz their homebrew scene is wiiiide open. I'm waiting on Sony's PS emu before I jump though, since I can't afford to buy 'em both, and PSP's current emulation is very nice (despite the fact that Sony HATES homebrew.)

Bye the way, I agree the PSP's screen is luscious!

ds6220

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The PS2 remote is not used as a controller it is used as a remote to turn the system on and to run things like the DVD playback.
Well, I've said it before and I will say it again.......I......am........dumb.......
shy.gif

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
no price drops ahead, just a newer package with some ATV game (probably sucks) and includes a 1 gig stick instead of the usual value pack that includes the soft case and the headphones.

werwe

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, supposedly the PS1 download service is only going to have a few 1st generation games at the beginning. We may not see some of the heavy hitters on the service for some time, if at all. Remember that Sony can't just plop down any game they want on it-- they need the 3rd parties to be on board as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5uh_m4VgTY4