Kurai_496

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi guys,
some days ago I took apart my 2nd Gamecube which kinda died some yrs ago so I wanted to try to resurrect it just for fun.
The Gamecube itself seems to work, lights, fan spinning, disc spinning, sound working and by the sound.. I can say it reads game, and the game works too, reacts to pad inputs.. but no video.
Video out died for a high static by lighting (it made even the cap inside AV cable connector explode).
Obviously tried it with another working cable (of my actual Gamecube..bought after that event), but no video.
I took apart the console and had a check on the board, I've seen a burnt capacitor..but looking on the schematics it seems to belong to audio right channel (which works indeed) and nothing else. I tried wiring a Composite Video RCA out right out of the AVE chip but no signal, so I can guess traces and AV connector/filters are ok.

After those tests I thought it may be the AVE chip burned..or at least partially burned. Unfortunately seems impossible to find a datasheet of that part. I only found which pin should be the video out following traces and components from AV connector to the chip itself.
Unfortunately the chip seems almost impossible to find.. I found a couple chinese companies that would sell it to me but it requires a minimum parts to order and with shipping..is something I'm not too keen to do being not sure on it.

My Cube also got the Digital Out port..but as you know the RGB cable is impossible to find at fair prices (and I don't even have anything to connect it to..).

Any suggestion?
I specify.. I'm doing it for fun, because this Cube was a gift...so it's special for me. I know it's not worth spending too much time on something like this but..maybe I'll end up learning something from this experience!

Last edited by Kurai_496,

Kurai_496

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi, here it is a pic of the board I took the other day as soon as I took the cube apart.
IMG_20210801_165531.jpg
The capacitor blew up is C130, the AV Encoder Chip is the big one (RS5C583, this is the PAL version, I know there is another code for the NTSC version)

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you been able to check the voltage levels, resistance, continuity of the AV port? With a surge like you had it could have vaporized the traces between the layers. Is the RS5C583 getting really hot?

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Cube also got the Digital Out port..but as you know the RGB cable is impossible to find at fair prices (and I don't even have anything to connect it to..).

Retro-Bit Prism will give you HDMI-out through that port for $80. I need to get one myself ... right now I'm running S-video from my Cube to a Framemeister. It looks good on the HDTV, but not as good as Gamecube with Nintendont on the Wii w/ component cables. (The only thing I really use my Cube for right now is Gameboy Player, running GBI from Swiss.)

Last edited by Hanafuda,

Kurai_496

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Have you been able to check the voltage levels, resistance, continuity of the AV port? With a surge like you had it could have vaporized the traces between the layers. Is the RS5C583 getting really hot?
Yeah, beside that poor capacitor all traces seem to be good. I checked continuity between parts and is ok.
I see no video signal out of the videoencoder.. I checked directly on its pins to avoid eventual other componente/traces problems even if they seems to be good.
Thats why I thought that chip may be the solution.. but I'd prefer to be sure before buying it.. but I don't know what other tests I could do. I don't have an oscilloscope and I can't find any proper schematics to rely on.

Retro-Bit Prism will give you HDMI-out through that port for $80. I need to get one myself ... right now I'm running S-video from my Cube to a Framemeister. It looks good on the HDTV, but not as good as Gamecube with Nintendont on the Wii w/ component cables. (The only thing I really use my Cube for right now is Gameboy Player, running GBI from Swiss.)
Hi, yeah, I'd leave this as a "last resort"since I already have a full working Cube so I'd really like to be able repairing this one without going round the problem if you get what I mean. :)
Btw.. nice.. I'm waiting my Indigo GameBoy Player for my cube too! Can't wait to get it..
Do you use the Cube pad or a GBA? My plan was to use a GBA with Nintendo Cable as a pad for the Gameboy Player.
My OCD is fine too having managed to get everything in Indigo hahaha

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, beside that poor capacitor all traces seem to be good. I checked continuity between parts and is ok.
I see no video signal out of the videoencoder.. I checked directly on its pins to avoid eventual other componente/traces problems even if they seems to be good.
Thats why I thought that chip may be the solution.. but I'd prefer to be sure before buying it.. but I don't know what other tests I could do. I don't have an oscilloscope and I can't find any proper schematics to rely on.

That's why I was asking if the chip was overheating because that would indicate that it is destroyed. You can dab on some high proof ISO onto the board to test for some shorts in components too. If it sizzles off or evaporates fast then the components can be suspect. It sounds dangerous to do while it's running, but it's not unless you have power arcs.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, yeah, I'd leave this as a "last resort"since I already have a full working Cube so I'd really like to be able repairing this one without going round the problem if you get what I mean. :)
Btw.. nice.. I'm waiting my Indigo GameBoy Player for my cube too! Can't wait to get it..
Do you use the Cube pad or a GBA? My plan was to use a GBA with Nintendo Cable as a pad for the Gameboy Player.
My OCD is fine too having managed to get everything in Indigo hahaha

If I'm feeling lazy, and depending on the game, I just use a GC Wavebird controller.

But when it matters, I use a Super Famicom controller, with a SFC to GCN adapter from Raphnet.

I understand the OCD issue. Here's my Cube.

IMG_3707.JPG

Kurai_496

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That's why I was asking if the chip was overheating because that would indicate that it is destroyed. You can dab on some high proof ISO onto the board to test for some shorts in components too. If it sizzles off or evaporates fast then the components can be suspect. It sounds dangerous to do while it's running, but it's not unless you have power arcs.
To be honest I didn't notice (neither checked) any abnormal warming up of the chip... Thank you for the juicy hint!
One of theese days I'll have a look and do what you suggested so I can let you know the results.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If I'm feeling lazy, and depending on the game, I just use a GC Wavebird controller.

But when it matters, I use a Super Famicom controller, with a SFC to GCN adapter from Raphnet.

I understand the OCD issue. Here's my Cube.

View attachment 274431

Famicom controller its really nice for those games!! It must feel so spot on!

Hahah glad to know I am not alone with my ocd! Btw, really nice setup! I love that color!

Reactions: Hanafuda

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Glad I bought a card reader type c and usb A makes life easy
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i download movies on my PC that is connected to my living room tv.
    Monitors are too small for my bad eyesight so I use my main tv and wirelss keyboard and wireless trackball mouse.
    I tried wireless transfer on phone before and yes, it's garbage. lol. So sloooooooooowwwwww.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New south park was not really that funny.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i heard modern south park is too serious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did it hurt your feelings?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Some are still funny, but they always try to use a subject matter related to something going on today.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All you need is one dose of Lizzo to make yourself feel better
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Who tf is lizzo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They always make valid points on that show and it goes over people's heads over sensitivity reasons
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @BigOnYa i mean south park did that way back in the day too
    +2
    remember the Michael Jackson episodes?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or blaming the only jew in the show on 9/11 or having the police shoot the only black kid during a school shooting or saying Kanye a gay fish list goes on
    +2
    the gay fish thing was funny as fuck
    +1
    and i don't even follow or care about kanhye
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Everytime i hear that real song, i think of that episode, "I'm a Gay fish yal."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So was the way they showed how messed up the American health system was to get anything done
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont watch south park that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Old people driving was a funny one, like cars up on 2nd/3rd floors in houses. Had to shut down old country buffet to stop them.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBpKupfQEKE