Transfer emuNAND to another SD card. Working on New3DS!

EDIT: The emuNAND Tool has been updated and now works again!

Since right now the emuNAND Tool doesn't work, I've come up with a workaround:

Programs you will need:
Both these programs are free.

PLEASE NOTE: Doing the following method will make a 1:1 copy of the source SD card and put it on the target SD card. It will transfer everything, not just emuNAND.

How to:
  1. Plug the source SD card into your PC, this is the card that you want to transfer emuNAND from.
  2. Run USB Image Tool
  3. Click on the SD card and then "Backup"
  4. Remove the source SD Card and replace it with the target SD Card.
  5. Click on the new SD card, locate the backup image and then "Restore"
  6. Run EaseUS Partition Master and click on "EaseUS Partition Master Free"
  7. Right click on the SD card's partition with data on it, it should be in between two Unallocated partitions and choose "Resize/Move Partition"
  8. Click on the MIDDLE PARTITION, the one that has the data on it and expand it TO THE RIGHT (VERY IMPORTANT)
  9. Click OK
  10. Click Apply on the top left, then OK
  11. Done!
Important Information:
Currently with Gateway 3.1.0 there's a (visual?)bug with higher capacity microSD cards. When running emuNAND it doesn't show the "GW3D" in settings, before the version number telling you if you're in emuNAND or not, because of this its very risky to update emuNAND.
With my guide you can use a 4gb microSD card (where the visual bug doesn't happen) to format emuNAND, update to the latest firmware and transfer it onto a higher capacity microSD card.

Don't panic! - When the transfer is complete and you run the updated emuNAND on your new 3ds it still wont show the "GW3D" prefix before the version number. It'll just say 9.5.0-22E or something along those lines.

Any questions, feel free to ask :)

Sus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That does sound a lot like it's able to start RxTools, but RxTools itself is causing the problem. OR RxTools thinks it is installed but is trying to boot an emuNAND that doesn't exist or is corrupted (the one that was on your old SD card).

Try the following, in order to see if it fixes your problem:
  1. Put your SD card into your PC and open partition master. The SD card should have 2 partitions, one "unallocated" on the left, and one with your data on it on the right - here's a picture of what my old SD card looks like so you know what to look for. If it doesn't have the unallocated data partition on the left, then you haven't got an emuNAND and therefore RxTools can't start. Since it works fine on your old SD card, you need to go back and start the tutorial from the USB Image Tool backup/restore again so it'll move the emuNAND over. Make sure you make a copy of everything on the old SD card so you can move it back onto the bigger SD card if it needs to be formatted.
  2. If you DO have an unallocated partition on the left of the SD card, the main partition might be corrupted. Use partition master to format the right partition (the one with the data on it) as FAT32, then copy all your files back onto it. Remember they're still sitting on your old SD card so if you didn't make a backup earlier you can just copy them off that and onto the new SD card.
  3. If that still doesn't work, try an alternative firmware like Cakes and see if THAT will start for you.
  4. All else fails you'll have to make a new emuNAND from scratch and proceed as if you've got a brand new 3DS to hack.

I just remembered something. When I used the partition, it came up with an error. I had to download a few other programs to find one where it worked. It came up with the option "Fix the probblem" so it did. I don't know if it might've ruined something?
I did try to make a new emuNAND from scratch, but I didn't seem to be able to open gateway, so I gave up again.

Azba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hello, I've followed your guide up to the dragging of the bar to the right. But after clicking apply it brings up this message:

http://imgur.com/glZtQ9E

Any ideas?

Thanks!
I got that same error, and it doesn't say what the error is e.e

Many others have run into this problem, here's some ways you might fix it:

1. Often that error occurs because the main partition with your files on it got corrupted by USB Image Tool - the emuNand itself should be fine. Try formatting the middle partition via partition master (use FAT32), and THEN try to resize it to the right. Click apply and if it now works, it's fixed. All you need to do is copy your files back onto the SD card from the backup you made earlier, or if you didn't make one just copy/paste from your old SD card.
  2. This is the nuclear option, and you'll lose out on some SD card space but it should work 100%. Right click the "unallocated space" partition on the right side (NOT THE LEFT) and create a new partition (FAT32). Delete the old middle partition (you will lose its size from the total amount of storage on your SD card) and apply. Right-click on the new partition you made and assign a drive letter, then apply again. Now just copy your files back on from your backup or your old SD card.

Sus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Many others have run into this problem, here's some ways you might fix it:

1. Often that error occurs because the main partition with your files on it got corrupted by USB Image Tool - the emuNand itself should be fine. Try formatting the middle partition via partition master (use FAT32), and THEN try to resize it to the right. Click apply and if it now works, it's fixed. All you need to do is copy your files back onto the SD card from the backup you made earlier, or if you didn't make one just copy/paste from your old SD card.
  2. This is the nuclear option, and you'll lose out on some SD card space but it should work 100%. Right click the "unallocated space" partition on the right side (NOT THE LEFT) and create a new partition (FAT32). Delete the old middle partition (you will lose its size from the total amount of storage on your SD card) and apply. Right-click on the new partition you made and assign a drive letter, then apply again. Now just copy your files back on from your backup or your old SD card.

Thank you :) It fixed my problem, works like a charm now. You're the best :D

Bagmanson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's probably something I've done wrong, but I went from a 16Gb SD to a 32GB SD, following every step in the tutorial, except now for some reason the 32Gb can only hold as much as my old 16Gb?

Azba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
It's probably something I've done wrong, but I went from a 16Gb SD to a 32GB SD, following every step in the tutorial, except now for some reason the 32Gb can only hold as much as my old 16Gb?

Did you hit apply when you resized the partition to the right? I know I didn't the first time.

If that is in fact the problem and it gives you a really generic error when you hit apply, you need to format the middle partition (FAT32) and then re-copy all your files from the old SD card back on.

Last edited by Azba,

Bagmanson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Did you hit apply when you resized the partition to the right? I know I didn't the first time.

If that is in fact the problem and it gives you a really generic error when you hit apply, you need to format the middle partition (FAT32) and then re-copy all your files from the old SD card back on.

The problem appeared at the first part I think, after restoring with USBtool

Azba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
The problem appeared at the first part I think, after restoring with USBtool

After restoring with USB Image Tool your 32GB sd card will say that it's 16GB. You use partition master to expand it to its full size.
If you didn't proceed forward to the partition master step, that's your problem. Otherwise if partition master says it's only 16GB total with no available empty space to the right... well I don't know what happened. You might need to try USB Image Tool again.

Noroxus

Margen67 Supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It seems like such a hassle to get a new SD-card working with all these errors ppl seem to be having.
Idk if I should even use my new 64GB-SDCard when the programme could easily fuck up something ;_;

Last edited by Noroxus,

Bagmanson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
After restoring with USB Image Tool your 32GB sd card will say that it's 16GB. You use partition master to expand it to its full size.
If you didn't proceed forward to the partition master step, that's your problem. Otherwise if partition master says it's only 16GB total with no available empty space to the right... well I don't know what happened. You might need to try USB Image Tool again.

Maybe I got something wrong in the tutorial, should I drag the partition to the right, or expand the partition to the right?
Because from what the preview gives, that would likely fix my issue

Reactions: Azba

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm, should I even bother with this or just make a new emunand and go from scratch? I have no important savegames or anything...
Is it working flawlessly?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
    +1
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Why so serious!
    @BakerMan, yeah that's about the only reason I would vote for Trump over Biden.
    +1
    In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Economy was better under Trump, according to Fox News.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I don't give a fuck about what happens to America but I would like it if your shit didn't spill out on the rest of the world, thank you.
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    A Far Right news service company
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I give a fuck about what happens to America but I would like it if our shit didn't spill out on the rest of the world, thank you.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I give a fuck about what happens to America but I would like it if our shit didn't spill out on...