• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Transgender woman killed in D.C

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
OP
Trophies
XP
https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/01/15/transgender-killing-jasmine-mack/

Hundreds of trans people have died violent deaths over the past decade, according to the Human Rights Campaign, which tracks the fatalities, and Black trans women like Mack are especially at risk. At least 35 trans and gender-nonconforming people were killed by violent means last year, and in 2021, the deadliest year on record, at least 50 died by gunshot or stab wounds. A Washington Post analysis of fatal violence against trans people found that more than 75 percent of the victims nationwide from 2015 to 2020 were Black transgender women.

Go figure sigh

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
That's sad, but I bet nobody is surprised. Those numbers seem low tho, and I'm not telling that 50 murders is an acceptable number, but I believe that 50 is a massive underestimation.

I don't know nothing about USA, but for Brazil (smaller population) the admittedly underestimated number is above 130.

• Haha
Reactions: FlufferNutter

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
OP
Trophies
XP
That's sad, but I bet nobody is surprised. Those numbers seem low tho, and I'm not telling that 50 murders is an acceptable number, but I believe that 50 is a massive underestimation.

I don't know nothing about USA, but for Brazil (smaller population) the admittedly underestimated number is above 130.
That number is actually really high. Keep in mind trans people are a very small minority of the population.

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's simply because they are transsexuals then that is a problem, but a minor one. While death sucks, in the grand scope of things 50 deaths is not a lot. Transsexuals are a minor part of society *snip**
I mean, I don't consider it a "minor problem" myself. Is it not a big problem if someone is a minority in society and they were killed because of being in said minority group?

Back in my hometown, 5 years ago, there were a string of murders that was suspected to be the work of a serial killer that targeted trans women - one victim survived. Three attacks in the same month. Killer is still out there btw.

Deleted member 559230

Trophies
XP
I mean, I don't consider it a "minor problem" myself. Is it not a big problem if someone is a minority in society and they were killed because of being in said minority group?

Nope. People are killed all of the time for various reasons. It sucks, but I can't be shedding a tear each time someone dies.

Back in my hometown, 5 years ago, there were a string of murders that was suspected to be the work of a serial killer that targeted trans women - one victim survived. Three attacks in the same month. Killer is still out there btw.

That sucks. Hopefully they can eventually catch the person who did it.

Reactions: OM3GAZX

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Regular reminder that transphobia kills and shouldn't be tolerated. Seriously, transphobes are weird and unhinged. I am sorry so many in the trans community are victims to them

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/7QsSPbf