Others Translation Project Translation of Galleon (Xbox)

RickTM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I’m trying to translate this game for the first Xbox but so far I haven’t gone very far.
I opened the various files . pkg with hxd but translating changes the number of characters and the game does not start, presents an error.
Leaving the number of characters unchanged and changing some of them just to try, the game starts but does not display the change.
Anybody got any ideas?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You will get the same answer here as at romhacking.net.

Sounds like you have a big archive file (pkg being a common enough abbreviation of package) controlling this game (or at the aspects you care about), possibly in addition to whatever pointers the internal text format has.

Said pointers are a fundamental concept in hacking really and you are going to need to figure out what goes for this game. They are used because having to have a game (which theoretically should be the same text every time -- DVD Read Only Memory and all that) calculate everything all the time is annoying and a waste of resources you could be using for just about anything else to make the player's life nicer.
The downside of this is when someone changes a file/section length then everything following it get booted back (or brought forward) by however much you changed it, not great when something is expecting a fixed length and has no idea how to handle it when something goes wrong. Not so bad as a dev as you made the format presumably and have tools to handle it, the would be ROM hacker though does not and has to both figure out things and make something to handle it (assuming manual with a hex editor is not an option, and it is usually a bad one).

The changes not being reflected in the running game (assuming you did not load back from a savestate -- if the game had already loaded the original data by the time you made your savestate then you might get that instead) means what you edited might have looked like the file but was not. This can be many reasons but usually are because the dev left their files all over the place when making the game to ship (developer leftovers we tend to call these, wonderful things to explore as it can give all sorts of insights into the development process), or because some random padding was needed and that so happened to be the data that was picked (rare on systems like the xbox, more of a thing for 16 bit consoles and older). Time to find the real data the game uses.

RickTM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
And unfortunately I have to give you the same answer, I have no idea how to do this. I need concrete guidance on how to do everything that programs use etc.

Ryo_Hazuki

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You will get the same answer here as at romhacking.net.

Sounds like you have a big archive file (pkg being a common enough abbreviation of package) controlling this game (or at the aspects you care about), possibly in addition to whatever pointers the internal text format has.

Said pointers are a fundamental concept in hacking really and you are going to need to figure out what goes for this game. They are used because having to have a game (which theoretically should be the same text every time -- DVD Read Only Memory and all that) calculate everything all the time is annoying and a waste of resources you could be using for just about anything else to make the player's life nicer.
The downside of this is when someone changes a file/section length then everything following it get booted back (or brought forward) by however much you changed it, not great when something is expecting a fixed length and has no idea how to handle it when something goes wrong. Not so bad as a dev as you made the format presumably and have tools to handle it, the would be ROM hacker though does not and has to both figure out things and make something to handle it (assuming manual with a hex editor is not an option, and it is usually a bad one).

The changes not being reflected in the running game (assuming you did not load back from a savestate -- if the game had already loaded the original data by the time you made your savestate then you might get that instead) means what you edited might have looked like the file but was not. This can be many reasons but usually are because the dev left their files all over the place when making the game to ship (developer leftovers we tend to call these, wonderful things to explore as it can give all sorts of insights into the development process), or because some random padding was needed and that so happened to be the data that was picked (rare on systems like the xbox, more of a thing for 16 bit consoles and older). Time to find the real data the game uses.
I've tried to help RickTM some days ago.

Text changes Will broke the game and that sounds more like a bad checksum to me than a missing pointer.

When i take away the text file than text are missing in-game si that should be a real data file

Reactions: RickTM

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1