Hacking Try using WD my Passport on PS TV (Help)

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it doesn't see it, might be not enough amp to power it, not sure how much amp the drive want, might have to try other drives.

peke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
If it doesn't see it, might be not enough amp to power it, not sure how much amp the drive want, might have to try other drives.
I allready test ir with a Y cable, don´t work, I´m looking to buy a cheap seagate but I´m afraid to have the same issue

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know you can use HDD with the PS TV, I did got it to work when I owned one, but you need low amp one, Im not sure how much amp the wd passport 1tb draw, probably needs something that draw like 0.5 amp.

peke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I know you can use HDD with the PS TV, I did got it to work when I owned one, but you need low amp one, Im not sure how much amp the wd passport 1tb draw, probably needs something that draw like 0.5 amp.
thanks for the reply, did you remember the hdd you use?

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never tried connecting an external storage device to my vita/tv, but, coincidentally, I did need to find a power supply replacement for a WD drive a few days ago.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8216

That page lists the power supply requirements for their drives. USB is standard 5 volts, but the Vita TV may not be able to provide the needed amperage like Hayato213 suggested. In that case, you should try using a powered USB hub, which allows you to power the drive using an external power supply.

Here's an example: https://www.newegg.com/p/0J2-06XW-00001

That one says the included power adapter is 2A, so check the WD support page linked above to see if it's enough for your drive. (and if you know how to solder, you can build your own very cheaply)

If that doesn't fix it, it may be that the drive isn't formatted properly. Reformat the drive to the whichever filesystem is needed by vita (probably Fat32).

and if that doesn't fix it either, then it may be a problem with the WD adapter hardware. In that case, you should open up the case, pull out the hard drive, and hook it up to a different adapter, like this: https://www.newegg.com/p/36F-00MF-00019 (Note that this one is powered too, so you can throw away/return the powered USB hub linked above if you bought it.)

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My suggestion is actually to get a SD2Vita and use that instead of a HDD, if you use a HDD you going have to go through the loop, of power cycling the unit, it would pick up the drive, but sometime it would require a restart after you connect the drive.

peke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I have a SD2Vita on my vita, but I need space on my vita tv, big micro sd are expensive! it´s cheaper a hdd

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gay history is serious +1