Gaming Trying to play Typing of the Dead (2000) online.

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to play The Typing of the Dead with my sister. Not Overkill, but the original based off of House of the Dead 2.
With a game that's as old as this one, I would assume that the servers are dead, but this game doesn't use servers. Instead, it directly connects to the other player's IP address.
Using our network's IP didn't work. Understandable, since we both live in the same house and use the same network. However, using our personal IP addresses (the ipconfig ones) didn't work either, and neither did "localhost".
Am I doing something wrong? Does the game even work anymore? In case anyone wants to help, I think the situation would be the same on the PC port of the original House of the Dead 2.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
It's because Typing of the Dead uses IPX for networking, which isn't supported on Windows 10 (which I assume is what you're using).

You can try using IPXWrapper, which works with a variety of older titles like Diablo and Warcraft II that also had similar issues.

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's because Typing of the Dead uses IPX for networking, which isn't supported on Windows 10 (which I assume is what you're using).

You can try using IPXWrapper, which works with a variety of older titles like Diablo and Warcraft II that also had similar issues.
Thanks for the recommendation, but it didn't work. Do I need to do anything in IPXconfig.exe?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/rI5IRxpcwDk?si=g8PPkbkjsSuwpjZW