OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi guys,

Nice to meet you. I'm new on this forum :shy:

I own a Nintendo Switch OLED, and we're all aware of how crucial it is to take care of OLED screens due to the well-known issue of image retention or ghosting. Given that there are times when I need to leave the screen on for extended periods (like when downloading games using the popular Tinfoil library), leaving a static image displayed can risk damaging the OLED screen.

I'm wondering if there's a "screensaver" feature that can be activated directly from Tinfoil to prevent this issue, or perhaps if there's an .nro app that allows for manual screen shutdown. This functionality would be a great way to preserve the condition of my OLED screen for the future.

Any advice or solutions you guys might have would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Blythe93

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I'm wondering if there's a "screensaver" feature that can be activated directly from Tinfoil to prevent this issue, or perhaps if there's an .nro app that allows for manual screen shutdown. This functionality would be a great way to preserve the condition of my OLED screen for the future.
Not that I'm aware of. It might be possible to make an overlay module and define a combo to toggle screen on/off, but I haven't found such thing yet. That would be really useful feature.

I know that DBI has an option to turn off screen while it's installing games so there's that. Not sure if official Tinfoil website has a feature request page or something.

In the meantime, you can always put your Switch OLED into the dock and not turn on your TV or monitor, while leaving the app running and downloading your games.

TheWinner89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Not that I'm aware of. It might be possible to make an overlay module and define a combo to toggle screen on/off, but I haven't found such thing yet. That would be really useful feature.

I know that DBI has an option to turn off screen while it's installing games so there's that. Not sure if official Tinfoil website has a feature request page or something.

In the meantime, you can always put your Switch OLED into the dock and not turn on your TV or monitor, while leaving the app running and downloading your games.
I can program in Python, but I've never dealt with the world of Nintendo Switch. If the modules for Tesla Overlay are written in Python, I could write a module that turns the screen on/off.

Nephiel

Artificer
Trophies
XP
Country
You could also long-press Home and turn the brightness all the way down, that should help prevent burn-in. This method is not as good as having it off, but it's close enough, and doesn't need a dock.

Reactions: TheWinner89

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I can program in Python, but I've never dealt with the world of Nintendo Switch. If the modules for Tesla Overlay are written in Python, I could write a module that turns the screen on/off.
Unfortunately, I'm not really familiar with overlays, but I know that switchbrew.org has a lot of resources for homebrew development. Hope it helps somehow.

Reactions: TheWinner89

TheWinner89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks, I saw that Tesla Overlay's module are written in C++, I will examine the source code of some modules and see if I can do something... I will update this post if I can create something useful. Thanks guys

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto