• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Twitter begins faking metrics in attempt to gaslight its own shareholders

• Thread starter Xzi
  • Start date
  • Views 9,016
  • Replies 127
  • Likes 4

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
there were multiple people being condescending/cynical of the idea that the ship was slowly sinking, yourself included.

I mocked your pre-mature celebration guised as news.

Calling Twitter dead while still posting pics of tweets. Hmmm... Is it really dead?

Here's a link for context if you don't want to blindly swallow @Xzi's narrative.

Last edited by tabzer,

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mocked your pre-mature celebration guised as news.

Calling Twitter dead while still posting pics of tweets. Hmmm... Is it really dead?

Here's a link for context if you don't want to blindly swallow @Xzi's narrative.

How much is that guy at the top paid for by the DNC?

• Wow
Reactions: tabzer

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a drone's job bro, what the hell does Mars have to offer me. Odds are any shuttle Elon had a hand in designing blows up long before it gets there anyway. Wouldn't trust the man to manage a McDonald's properly.
Well, to be fair, Crew Dragon is doing just fine getting where it needs to go.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Why people are still attacking a visionary, a genius, that was bold and creative enough to reinvent subway to the point that his subway have traffic jams?

Come on, this guy was the first (and only) to purpose to use nuclear weapons to create oceans in Mars, what a brain! what a brain!!!

He is even into humanitarian causes, like he's efforts to punch Zuckerberg's face (in exchange of crypto bets). He even has humanitarian plans for Bolivia, that involves removing their democratic elected leaders and put a dictatorship to steal their lithium.

He clearly did not killed twitter, he just remove it from existence, and paid 40 billion for that. An altruist if you ask me.

Reactions: lwiz and Dark_Ansem

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Losing money is the equivalent of dying for a business. Was stupid of Musk to believe Twitter could ever be a money-making venture, of course, but here we are. No chance it ever reaches "positive cash flow" now that Threads is siphoning off a decent portion of its community.
I'm not sure what your definition of siphoning is, but it's obviously wrong, just like all of your other copium infused hot takes you spew on here on the regular.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...n-expected-despite-losing-over-half-of-users/

Valwinz

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
ATwitter is dying for sureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee this time

Elon Musk’s ‘Twitter/X’ Overcomes Boycotts and the Increased Competition to Soar High and Reach Over Half a Billion Monthly Users

:hateit:

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

Elon Musk’s ‘Twitter/X’ Overcomes Boycotts and the Increased Competition to Soar High and Reach Over Half a Billion Monthly Users

Bots don't bring back the advertisers. The more money he flushes down the toilet trying to make this thing work, the better.

Kinda ties back into the original post, doesn't it? Wherein only Musketeers would actually be stupid enough to take those numbers at face value.

Last edited by Xzi,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Kinda ties back into the original post, doesn't it? Wherein only Musketeers would actually be stupid enough to take those numbers at face value.

I dunno. The OP thought those "views" were supposed to represent "individual people", where "face value" would have been more rational.

The market value of "views" might be going through some turmoil, but I don't think this discussion has reached such nuance.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I dunno. The OP thought those "views" were supposed to represent "individual people", where "face value" would have been more rational.

The market value of "views" might be going through some turmoil, but I don't think this discussion has reached such nuance.
Views ARE supposed to represent individual people, and we shouldn't be accepting of excuses for why they aren't. Capitalists always gotta add layers of unnecessary bullshit to everything in order to obfuscate their scams slightly more, but Musk always comes out looking desperate and incompetent instead.

Reactions: Dark_Ansem

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Views ARE supposed to represent individual people, and we shouldn't be accepting of excuses for why they aren't.

You can die on this hill if you'd like, but I've already mentioned use cases for "views" to mean "views" and not "individual people". Where does your dogma come from?

The problem with social networks, like Twitter, is that we can't verify 1 account = 1 unique person. Every other metric derived from that will be exponentially affected.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You can die on this hill if you'd like, but I've already mentioned use cases for "views" to mean "views" and not "individual people". Where does your dogma come from?

The problem with social networks, like Twitter, is that we can't verify 1 account = 1 unique person. Every other metric derived from that will be exponentially affected.
An individual can view a single post several times and have it count as multiple views, I'm not opposed to that. What I am opposed to is counting non-human activity as views, and that's what Elon tried to do here.

In no industry is it legal to artificially manipulate the value or stock price of a company. Even if we're only referring to the potential value advertisers see in the platform.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
What I am opposed to is counting non-human activity as views,
I agree that is a problem, but that's been happening before Elon, as it's an inherent problem with social media at large. AFAIK, Elon acknowledged that it was a problem with Twitter and accused the platform of hiding that information, misleading their shareholders, before he bought it.

Whether he is "exposing" it or throwing it in our faces is anyone's guess. Personally, I don't know any reliable metric that would prove that the bot-net situation has improved or gotten worse (due to changes in policy). If you are able to sell botting services to Elon on fiver or something, you'd do us all a service with an exposé.

The value (and the meaning) of a "view" is very subjective and unregulated. He might be trying to influence the stock market by making system wide changes, and calculating his "buys/sells" accordingly, but the bot situation did not start with Elon, and I doubt he knows how to stop it without implementing microchips into people.

Last edited by tabzer,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I agree that is a problem, but that's been happening before Elon, as it's an inherent problem with social media at large. AFAIK, Elon acknowledged that it was a problem with Twitter and accused the platform of hiding that information, misleading their shareholders, before he bought it.
Yeah he complained about that AFTER he had signed the contract to buy it without any due diligence.

Whether he is "exposing" it or throwing it in our faces is anyone's guess.
Nah he just has a need for his business ventures to be seen as "successful" because his entire life has been about buying already-successful ideas and companies then making them worse. There was literally no reason for him to buy Twitter at all if he was just going to rebrand to "X" anyway. Other than the fact that he'll be retaining the name and rights because he knows it has way more brand recognition than "X" ever will.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yeah he complained about that AFTER he had signed the contract to buy it without any due diligence.

It looks like theatrics to me. He knew of the bot problem before soliciting the purchase, even pitched the idea of cleaning it up before moving ahead.

The fact that he basically accuses them of fraud, and doesn't hold them responsible, makes it look like he's just going to use the "bot problem" as a feature.

Nah he just has a need for his business ventures to be seen as "successful" because his entire life has been about buying already-successful ideas and companies then making them worse.

I am not going to argue that he's not a business man. Most good products/companies get scooped up by richer businesses, and have their charm destroyed. The oligarchy was inevitable.

There was literally no reason for him to buy Twitter at all if he was just going to rebrand to "X" anyway. Other than the fact that he'll be retaining the name and rights because he knows it has way more brand recognition than "X" ever will.

That is the primary reason. It's a proven strategy to buy the captured audience and make sure they have nowhere (better) to go.

Reactions: Xzi

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

That's what he says, gotta see if true. Are all of these paying blue ticks? Or only ticks...

Reactions: Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: yeehaw