Twitter in hot water after accidentally exposing 330 million users' password

Qfy0kRIP_400x400.jpg

According to a mail twitter sent out they're the second victim in a recent spree of log-related password exposing bugs, however compared to Github, this affected all 330 million users.

In the email Twitter states:
When you set a password for your Twitter account, we use technology that masks it so no one at the company can see it. We recently identified a bug that stored passwords unmasked in an internal log. We have fixed the bug, and our investigation shows no indication of breach or misuse by anyone.

Even though they claim that the bug haven't been misused it's better to be safe than sorry and change your password everywhere you have used it.

:arrow: Source

Last edited by Chary,
D

Deleted User

Just looked up and can't even use OTP apps with twitter. The only OTP method is by giving them my phone number, which I'm not doing. Even Zucc allows OTP apps.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just looked up and can't even use OTP apps with twitter. The only OTP method is by giving them my phone number, which I'm not doing. Even Zucc allows OTP apps.
I have Twitter on Authy, does it not let you do that without a phone number?

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good thing my old password is guarded with verifications inorder to access. I'm on hot ends with websites screwing us over, Zetaboard is the worst when it comes to this

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I use the same password for everything, and I really don't use my Twitter enough to care if it gets hacked. It's just used to shitpost Splatoon screenshots.

D

Deleted User

Understandable, thanks twitter. Please collect more of my data while you are at it.

D

Deleted User

WOW TWITTER!!! im so fucking scared im gonna get hacked now.!! i know im gonna be hacked because obviously im such an important person that someone will take the time out of there day to hack me!!!! all my funny tweets! my 4 followers that are all bot accounts!!! im gonna get hacked and now they're gonna get my other account s across the web too?! holy shit i better use one of those password generators that makes a 40 character long stream of random shit that I'll never remember and will have to copy and paste every time i long in and it's actually really annoying but i pretend it isn't and brag about how secure i am to everyone else

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't this the company that said it's fine to store passwords plaintext as long as no one can get into the system?

ieatyoshis

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
WOW TWITTER!!! im so fucking scared im gonna get hacked now.!! i know im gonna be hacked because obviously im such an important person that someone will take the time out of there day to hack me!!!! all my funny tweets! my 4 followers that are all bot accounts!!! im gonna get hacked and now they're gonna get my other account s across the web too?! holy shit i better use one of those password generators that makes a 40 character long stream of random shit that I'll never remember and will have to copy and paste every time i long in and it's actually really annoying but i pretend it isn't and brag about how secure i am to everyone else

Just so you don't spread information, password managers can automatically enter your password and login for you.

Also, they're less about protecting your useless twitter account, but more about protecting your bank account which, for 99% of people, uses the same password.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is why I don't use social media. Besides, what's the point of social media when you got GBAtemp?
Any website can theoretically have passwords stolen from users. Gbatemp uses a open source forum so if someone was really smart enough or Costello trusted the wrong guy your private information could still leak out. Not saying they can get hold of your passwords but some of your private information can be vulnerable on any social site is what I'm trying to say.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

According to a mail twitter sent out they're the second victim in a recent spree of log-related password exposing bugs, however compared to Github, this affected all 330 million users.

In the email Twitter states:

Even though they claim that the bug haven't been misused it's better to be safe than sorry and change your password everywhere you have used it.

:arrow: Source
Oof. I'm gonna stay off of social media for a while...

...Except GBATemp, of course!

D

Deleted User

1 word
Hentai
cuz its not allowed here
And mentioning websites that include pirated material, which doesn't make sense, since there's threads about hacking consoles, which is illegal too.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
And mentioning websites that include pirated material, which doesn't make sense, since there's threads about hacking consoles, which is illegal too.
Hacking consoles is not illegal, at least not in the fashion that they will take your site down through DMCA.
Actually hacking a console is not illegal, period.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: :wub: