Homebrew TWPatcher - DS(i) mode screen filters and patches

• Thread starter Sono
  • Start date
  • Views 749,786
  • Replies 2,428
  • Likes 101

Are you interested in a complete replacement of TwlBg which includes all patches?

• Yes, I don't care how broken it will be!

Votes: 188 79.3%
  • No, I don't want to use even more broken stuff

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Yes, but only in GBA mode, because I play DSi exclusives

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • No, because I only use DS and DSi mode

Votes: 17 7.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need patches/cheats for specific games to enable them to render for widescreen 3D. Probably still blurry but it shouldn't look stretched, instead giving you more view area on the sides.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I tried wide screen but really couldnt get into it. seems like its the same res just stretched so your getting an even worse image with only a bit more FOV. this isnt Sonos fault by any means just what we have to deal with
My thoughts exactly. I'll just have the Linear Sharpen 1 filter instead, it's more effective.

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fewer 2D images that overlay the 3d part the better.
But I think I haven't seen a game for now that has no 2D parts, there is always some kind of info displayed this way.
As long as it isn't right in the center, I can ignore it.
@piratesephiroth Are you still involved with the wiivc injection projects?
I recently found out that 2 disc GC injects on 3.0.1 somehow create an unusable TMD, do you have any ideas what the reason could be?

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The fewer 2D images that overlay the 3d part the better.
But I think I haven't seen a game for now that has no 2D parts, there is always some kind of info displayed this way.
As long as it isn't right in the center, I can ignore it.
@piratesephiroth Are you still involved with the wiivc injection projects?
I recently found out that 2 disc GC injects on 3.0.1 somehow create an unusable TMD, do you have any ideas what the reason could be?
Did you post this in the wiivc injection thread?

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@piratesephiroth Yes but TeconMoon wasn't online for over a year...
Really sorry to spam this thread but I had the faint memory that you were one of the people who helped with iso2nfs so I couldn't help it.

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Just checking, nothing has been released yet for AGB_FIRM? Including arcane manual patch instructions?

If you have noticed in the post where the patcher exe is, I say that you can use anything in place of "asd" other than "agb". Draw your own conclusion from there.

AgbBg patches were developed in parallel with the TwlBg patches, so TwlBg patches are also available for AgbBg.

The reason I didn't include them in the post (they are present in the exe though) is because AgbBg patches have a 50% of not working after patching (not 50% per bootup, but after patching it it either works or doesn't, depending on your AgbBg version). I still need to find a new place where I can put my own code.

Reactions: Vague Rant

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Putting in "agb" causes the patcher to complain that it "can't open /luma/section0.bin", even if I try to create such a subdirectory in the current folder or at the drive root. Putting in "asd" made it produce a twlbg.cxi, even though I'm pretty sure I grabbed this section0.bin file as the exefs.bin from the agb_firm title on N3DS (SYSNAND CTRNAND /title/00040138/?0000202/content/00000000.app)

No pressure if something needs fixing, just checking in whether there was anything to muck around with yet.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Putting in "agb" causes the patcher to complain that it "can't open /luma/section0.bin", even if I try to create such a subdirectory in the current folder or at the drive root. Putting in "asd" made it produce a twlbg.cxi, even though I'm pretty sure I grabbed this section0.bin file as the exefs.bin from the agb_firm title on N3DS (SYSNAND CTRNAND /title/00040138/?0000202/content/00000000.app)

No pressure if something needs fixing, just checking in whether there was anything to muck around with yet.

It's not broken, it's just undocumented on purpose. For AgbBg, the filename is agbg0.bin as opposed to section0.bin for TwlBg. The output filename will be right however, so AgbBg will create AgbBg.cxi, just watch out for the usage percentage (bytes used percentage), because on AgbBg it can be 110%, and above 100% it'll crash guaranteed.

Last edited by Sono,

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I appreciate the effort, OP, but your guide is kind of a mess...

So I tried making a script to automize the extracting and rebuilding process as much as possible.

Script: https://mega.nz/#!1mYgHYRL!7YZZy_MabrmLq2hZw4IP2GKFshuk8jfMe1hUPfh3lLM
Filename: Run.bat
MD5: a064ebbb78cf22fc327b5dbb660a6e89

If you're (understandably) wary of running random scripts off of a tech forum, you're more than free to open the script in a text editor and judge its legitimacy for yourself. I've tried making using it as foolproof as possible.

Prerequisites (you will need the following):

• Access to GodMode9
  • A PC and a way of moving files between it and the SD card (eg. directly or via FTP)
  • A hex-editor for PC (HxD is a good one), and basic knowledge on how to use the program
  • FirmTool (must be installed via Python)
  • 3DSTool (must either be in script directory or system PATH)
  1. Boot into GodMode9 on your system.
  2. Once loaded, go through [SYSNAND CTRNAND > title > 00040138 > *0000102 > content > ********.app] and mount the .app file.
    • The "*" is a wildcard, it can fit any alphanumerical sign.
    • Select the .app file with the highest number.
  3. Once you're inside the mounted .app, enter the [exefs] folder, select the .firm file there, and copy it to [0:/gm9/out].
  4. Turn off your system, remove the SD card from it and connect it to your PC (or use FTP to wirelessly transfer files, it's up to you).
  5. Travel to [SD:\gm9\out\] on your PC, and copy the .firm file somewhere onto your PC (preferably in own folder).
  6. Move the 'Run.bat' script (download at the top of my post) into the same directory as the .firm.
  7. Rename the .firm file to "TWL.firm" and run the script.
    • If you encounter this message while trying to run the script, please make sure you have both FirmTool and 3DSTool installed and findable by the script.
    • rqfb2Pd.png
  8. Please read the script output, follow it carefully, and press the Y key to continue after doing so:
    • W2XzEdu.png
  9. Wait until you get this wall of text:
    • XJI9VFt.png
  10. Open the code.bin that appeared in the script directory in your hex-editor, apply and save the patches of your choice (as stated above), and press the number key stated to continue with the script.
  11. Wait until you receive this message:
    • l2nEY8D.png
  12. Check your script's directory. There should now be a "TwlBg.cxi" inside it. Copy TwiBg.cxi onto your SD (again, either directly or via FTP) under [SD:\luma\sysmodules\].
  13. Reinsert the SD card into the system (or reboot it if you used FTP) and power it on while holding SELECT to enter Luma's configuration menu.
  14. Ensure that these two options are ticked:
    • "Enable game patching"
    • "Enable loading external FIRMs and modules"
  15. Press START to save your settings.
And that should be it.

That's really nice that you actually made an easier guide, thanks.
But I don't get why you made the script the way you did.
Maybe it's because I hate Windows and pretty much MS products, but there could be a few alternatives for working on unix systems or multiple OSes.
Maybe ShellScript or Python, dunno.
Not that I'm criticizing your work, I'm glad you done it.

Kolieder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Help, twilight menu isn't working anymore for me!
I got the twlbg.cxi on a pc and put it on my 3ds as widescreen.cxi, but when I opened twilight menu and opened up mario 64, it turned my 3ds off. I tried it again but now it turns it off whenever I open twilight menu. I thought I could just update it to the new version by deleting it, replacing the files and reinstalling it, but I still get the same problem. Plz help

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Help, twilight menu isn't working anymore for me!
I got the twlbg.cxi on a pc and put it on my 3ds as widescreen.cxi, but when I opened twilight menu and opened up mario 64, it turned my 3ds off. I tried it again but now it turns it off whenever I open twilight menu. I thought I could just update it to the new version by deleting it, replacing the files and reinstalling it, but I still get the same problem. Plz help
What version of Luma are you using?

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, just got the widescreen fix working, but god pokémon platinum is looking pixelated and horrible, any way of adding these aforementioned filters ? At least using a phone, no pc for the moment, also thanks a lot for the effort guys :]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...