Ubisoft announces development of original 'Splinter Cell' remake

ubi splinter cell.JPG

After an interminable wait, gamers can expect to reunite with Sam Fisher once more. Ubisoft has announced in a blog post yesterday that its Toronto branch has begun work on a full remake of the original Splinter Cell game. It will be rebuilt "from the ground up" with Ubisoft’s Snowdrop engine, used to develop the upcoming Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and Ubisoft’s Star Wars game. This Snowdrop-developed Splinter Cell aims to deliver "new-generation visuals and gameplay" and "the dynamic lighting and shadows the series is known for".

For the announcement, Ubisoft News aired a new video on YouTube that includes insights from the original game's developers as well as from those working on the remake:

The Splinter Cell remake has only recently began development and as such has no release window nor information about the platforms it will launch on. You can head to the Ubisoft blog post in the source link below to read more about the interview with three developers on the project: Creative Director Chris Auty, Producer Matt West, and Technical Producer Peter Handrinos.

:arrow: SOURCE

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Had this been a few years after the initial setup of the series after it had found a groove with its mechanics then that would have been one thing. Today, and with the last splinter cell having been a rather watered down affair, I am not inclined to think it will amount to much.

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the online mode is still active, that's probably a lot of fun too

Me, I just do the single player. I always die [sometimes when I have just spawned into it]. So no online ones for me [lie]. :blush:

[ARMA III]

Reactions: Marc_LFD

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If they don't hire Michael Ironside to voice Sam Fisher then the game won't do as well as it very well may.

Blacklist was genuinely a good stealth game, but without Ironside it didn't feel like Splinter Cell.
Think he may be a bit past it at this point. I'm sure there are plenty of people who could do a similar voice.

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ubisoft please don't make it a generic open world game, don't make it the same way you do an Assassin's Creed game!

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ubisoft gave it away on their PC launcher some time ago.

And also: Splinter Cell, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, and Splinter Cell: Double Agent.

They only have to give away Pandora Tomorrow & Blacklist (eh, not exactly an SC game but I digress) and we'll have the entire collection for free on Ubisoft Connect. :P

Pandora Tomorrow is broken on modern GPUs, unless you get a VooDoo API emulator, the volumetric lights and shadows are otherwise completely broken on PC. There are guides to fix it.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no faith at all, in modern day Ubisoft. Asset flipping and just lazy, poor games.

They clearly feel the franchise needs to be reinvigorated, so they can milk more kiddies with another asset flipping possibility.

I genuinely hope they put some effort into this, it deserves it. More so I hope upper management are replaced, hopeless.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this the future of western gaming world? Lootbox, micro transaction and lazy ass remake?
Ubisoft, Rockstar, EA, etc put little effort into their games as they know their games will sell millions of copies.

However, small / indie devs take care and time into developing a game that gamers want.

This. THIS looks awesome and I hope they'll make a physical release. Plus, I'd love for Dotemu to develop an Arcade-style game of The Simpsons, too.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pandora Tomorrow is broken on modern GPUs, unless you get a VooDoo API emulator, the volumetric lights and shadows are otherwise completely broken on PC. There are guides to fix it.
Yikes, wasn't aware of it.

All that just to play the damn game, unbelievable. Ubisoft should fix/patch it themselves and then give it away as an apology for releasing a broken port from the beginning.

I thought Ubisoft had it all under control considering it's a beloved franchise of theirs.. nope.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I like how people are calling it a lazy ass remake when they havent seen a single photo or video of it...

Is this the future of western gaming world? Lootbox, micro transaction and lazy ass remake?
so you already know what wasnt showed? lol you seem to think the game will have all that without even a single screenshot or any statements besides the devs acknowledging they are making a remake...

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like how people are calling it a lazy ass remake when they havent seen a single photo or video of it...

so you already know what wasnt showed? lol you seem to think the game will have all that without even a single screenshot or any statements besides the devs acknowledging they are making a remake...
If it's like the PoP Remake then there's nothing to worry about.

Thing is, it feels lazy and unoriginal to rehash something that's already been done than make a new game or a sequel (specifically to PoP 08).

Let's say PS6 was out, would you buy GTA V Remake to play? I wouldn't. Brilliant game, yes, but the game itself remains the same albeit with enhancements/tweaks here and there.

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam

Sure. What do you think will be in the remake then, other than the HD upscale of original game of course?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Sure. What do you think will be in the remake then, other than the HD upscale of original game of course?
it wont be upscalled they said they are building it from the ground up, which means no assets from the original game will be used, probably a totaly diferent engine too, im guessing either new engine or blacklist engine, they already made a remaster of the trilogy on ps3, this one is a remake, they said it on the video.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/qv96JYhfAuA?si=_PN4PTWfj5BWI9wk