[UPDATE] 'The Last of Us Part II' leaks hint to major spoilers

tlous ii.jpg

Naughty Dog's highly anticipated The Last of Us Part II has been delayed until further notice due to logistics issues resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic. The good news is development is nearly done but the bad news is we don't know when the game will actually get released. However, this has not deterred leakers from spoiling the game before it is even made publicly available.

Over the weekend, several YouTube videos were uploaded claiming to contain major spoilers of the game. Despite the original videos being taken down, others are popping up and will likely continue doing so for the foreseeable future in some form or another (this video is working at the time of writing). The leaks appear to come from internal builds dating from February/March of this year. They reveal Ellie's and Joel's roles in the game, its overall plot with a level list and there's what appears to be a divisive ending that has some questioning whether they will buy the game.

Naughty Dog has not yet responded to those leaks, but they seem to be credible to some extent, given the high fidelity and recognizable voices within those leaks.

Did you check out the leaks? What do you think? If not, will you wait for a proper release before indulging into the game?

[UPDATE 1]

Naughty Dog just shared a statement on Twitter, confirming the authenticity of the leaks, sharing their disappointment and asking those who have seen the leaks to not spoil it for others.

[UPDATE 2]

In a statement to GamesIndustry.biz, Sony confirmed today, May 1st, that they identified those responsible for the leaks and that the matter is still under investigation. They further stated that the leakers "were not affiliated with Sony Interactive Entertainment or Naughty Dog", despite rumors claiming otherwise.

[UPDATE 3]

It seems that those responsible for the leaks were hackers who took advantage of a vulnerability in a security patch from Naughty Dog's previous games to access the company's servers. This was claimed by a Twitter user who was in contact with someone who is "a direct source of this compromise" but not the actual leaker, as it seems another party with knowledge of the exploit, possibly from the original hackers, proceeded with the leaks. This claim was corroborated separately by Kotaku and former Kotaku employee Jason Schreier. You can read the full sequence of events as claimed by the Twitter user from their thread.

:arrow: SOURCE, UPDATE 1, UPDATE 2, UPDATE 3

Last edited by Prans, , Reason: Added new info about vulnerability found by hackers

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's funny, many people play video games as a form of escapism. They want to live out adventures in a different world, escape from reality, even if for a moment, and even if the alternate reality they cling to is an apocalyptic hellscape populated primarily by zombies controlled by an invasive fungus species. Says a lot about us when the grim end of the world scenario is preferable to our own reality being injected into our fiction of preference.

TunaKetchup

The Goose is Loose
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
It's funny, many people play video games as a form of escapism. They want to live out adventures in a different world, escape from reality, even if for a moment, and even if the alternate reality they cling to is an apocalyptic hellscape populated primarily by zombies controlled by an invasive fungus species. Says a lot about us when the grim end of the world scenario is preferable to our own reality being injected into our fiction of preference.

Citation

Reactions: CrossOut

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if these spoilers are real...
man that's a big slap in the face to people who got invested in the first game
this is some alien 3 level stuff right there

anyone posting spoilers will receive an IP ban.
a fuckin' ip ban for spoiling a game?
that's... that's some goofy shit right there

Last edited by Darth Meteos,

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
fuckin' ip ban for spoiling a game?
that's... that's some goofy shit right there
Someone start of the thread already hinted at a spoiler and should kno better not to say anything - people here are gonna spend 50 quid on this game and don't want it ruined by some idiot mouthing it off when ther prob not even gonna play it - so yeh anyone tht does deserves strongest ban possible

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone start of the thread already hinted at a spoiler and should kno better not to say anything - people here are gonna spend 50 quid on this game and don't want it ruined by some idiot mouthing it off when ther prob not even gonna play it - so yeh anyone tht does deserves strongest ban possible
I appreciate that it's bad. A warning, sure. A one day suspension? Harsh, but they notice it. An IP ban?! It's a spoiler, for god's sake, that's like a kid seeing your kid say a naughty word and hammerfisting that fuckin' kid in the back of the head HE SHOULD KNOW BETTER BY NOW

Reactions: Pluupy

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I appreciate that it's bad. A warning, sure. A one day suspension? Harsh, but they notice it. An IP ban?! It's a spoiler, for god's sake, that's like a kid seeing your kid say a naughty word and hammerfisting that fuckin' kid in the back of the head HE SHOULD KNOW BETTER BY NOW
I agree, IP bans are way to lenient. I suggest a meteor to the head!

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's says major spoilers so major ban :D

Reactions: Payne

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That defense is pretty weak...
I think I speak for everyone when I say that linuxares should be IP BANNED for spoiling the game.

What? That's stupid? A spoiler isn't worth an IP ban?

No kidding.
We don't want users to be browsing the site like a minefield, so we have to collectively agree not to do this kind of stuff until the game is out. It's common courtesy to at least use a spoiler tag, but since literally the whole main plot of the game was leaked, which is a rather extreme circumstance, it warrants some extreme measures. Personally I simply snip minor spoilers away, but that's just me saving you guys from trouble. :ha:

Reactions: Darth Meteos

dude1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i dont want it spoiled so i have ignored the leaks as best i could.
all i know its apparently its full of SJW propaganda but i'm less surprised by that as media (games, movies, tv, comics etc.) has been infected with that gross ideology for years and only in the last few years have identitarians at these companies been brazen enough to hide it less and less to the detriment of the story etc.

anyway, i won't lie if there was one thread on the forum that shouldn't ban for the spoilers/leaks its the news story about said leaks/spoilers
i think IP bans should only apply to new and/or unrelated threads with leaks not this one.
but thats just my opinion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: You need better couch potatoes la +1