Hacking Question Updating firmware when Emunand is installed

SgtP3pp3r

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright, I have several things that i dont fully understand about working with Emunand.
1) Currently, both my sysnand and emunand are running the latest version of Horizon. I use my clean sysnand for online play using officially purchased games, and the emunand for all that other wonderful stuff that you can do. Its rumored that 7.0 is coming out this week, and I got a few questions about upgrading to it. First of all, its more than likely that it will break the CFW, so for sure I am not planning to update my emunand, but since all the officially bought games that I use are primarily online games I would like to update my sysnand sometime soon. If I only update my sysnand then fuses will be blown, and there will be a fuse mismatch for my CFW. From what I have read, when you have a fuse mismatch you can still launch SXOS, however sleep becomes broken.
In the release notes for the v2.5BETA, TX said the following:
  • Fixed sleepmode in case of fuse mismatch
    Sleep/standby mode would break when your emuNAND was on a different firmware version than your actual system NAND. This has been resolved now. So from now on you can run the latest and greatest firmware in emuNAND while at the same time keeping a lower firmware on your original system's NAND. Nifty!
If I understand that correctly, it wont work the other way around (where sysnand is higher version than the emunand), or am I wrong about this? Would having a fuse mismatch in this sense still break sleep mode?
2) My latest 'clean' nand backup was in 6.2, I would need to make a new backup for 7.0 since there will be a fuse mismatch after updating if I ever try to restore my former backup. But... would the backup that I am making actually be clean? I am guessing that it is because everything emunand is stored in the sd card. Am I wrong in this assumption?
Bonus: Just out of curiosity... If you have emunand installed as file in the nand, and you go into the SX OS menu and create an emunand in the SD card either as a file or a hidden partition, then would you end up having 4 firmware installations? (the original sysnand, the emunand as a file, the cloned sysnand on the sd card, the emunand as a file within the cloned sysnand on the sd card) Does this happen? and how the heck would you switch between them?

TLDR:
1) Can I update sysnand to 7.0, leave emunando on 6.2 and have sleep work normally?
2) If I make a backup of my 'clean' sysnand after installing SXOS on the emunand, would the resulting backup still be clean?
Bonus: If you create emunand on the nand as a file, and then create an emunand on the sd card from this nand, would you duplicate the amount of firmwares installed?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I have several things that i dont fully understand about working with Emunand.
1) Currently, both my sysnand and emunand are running the latest version of Horizon. I use my clean sysnand for online play using officially purchased games, and the emunand for all that other wonderful stuff that you can do. Its rumored that 7.0 is coming out this week, and I got a few questions about upgrading to it. First of all, its more than likely that it will break the CFW, so for sure I am not planning to update my emunand, but since all the officially bought games that I use are primarily online games I would like to update my sysnand sometime soon. If I only update my sysnand then fuses will be blown, and there will be a fuse mismatch for my CFW. From what I have read, when you have a fuse mismatch you can still launch SXOS, however sleep becomes broken.
In the release notes for the v2.5BETA, TX said the following:
  • Fixed sleepmode in case of fuse mismatch
    Sleep/standby mode would break when your emuNAND was on a different firmware version than your actual system NAND. This has been resolved now. So from now on you can run the latest and greatest firmware in emuNAND while at the same time keeping a lower firmware on your original system's NAND. Nifty!
If I understand that correctly, it wont work the other way around (where sysnand is higher version than the emunand), or am I wrong about this? Would having a fuse mismatch in this sense still break sleep mode?
2) My latest 'clean' nand backup was in 6.2, I would need to make a new backup for 7.0 since there will be a fuse mismatch after updating if I ever try to restore my former backup. But... would the backup that I am making actually be clean? I am guessing that it is because everything emunand is stored in the sd card. Am I wrong in this assumption?
Bonus: Just out of curiosity... If you have emunand installed as file in the nand, and you go into the SX OS menu and create an emunand in the SD card either as a file or a hidden partition, then would you end up having 4 firmware installations? (the original sysnand, the emunand as a file, the cloned sysnand on the sd card, the emunand as a file within the cloned sysnand on the sd card) Does this happen? and how the heck would you switch between them?

TLDR:
1) Can I update sysnand to 7.0, leave emunando on 6.2 and have sleep work normally?
2) If I make a backup of my 'clean' sysnand after installing SXOS on the emunand, would the resulting backup still be clean?
Bonus: If you create emunand on the nand as a file, and then create an emunand on the sd card from this nand, would you duplicate the amount of firmwares installed?
  1. The fuse count checked upon warmboot aka sleep mode only matters if you have more fuses burnt than your firmware. If you have less fuses burnt, your console can normally wake up from sleep mode. They only needed to patch the check when the fuse count exceeded the firmware
  2. If the EmuNAND is on the SD card, then your NAND is completely unaffected so a new NAND backup would still be clean
  3. You can but I have no idea how you would load them or how SX OS would prioritize them

Reactions: SgtP3pp3r

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • DragonMals
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    DragonMals tempBOT: DragonMals has joined the room.